Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Slaves to Darkness  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Slaves to Darkness
« on: November 21, 2022, 11:17:30 PM »
I got the new Slaves to Darkness boxed set and decided to start working on a new army.

Chaos was my second WHFB army.  It was metal and the hunched plastic warriors and knights.  Overtime I got more in Slaanesh and worked on those models and then did a huge Tzeentch Horror force, then got out of GW stuff. 

When AoS came out I started working on more Chaos stuff starting with those awesome Khorne models.  Then eventually went back through my old stuff.  The old warriors became Nurgle troops, their hunched pose seemed to fit.

Eventually I ended up with decent size Nurgle, Khorne, Tzeentch and Slaanesh forces, but no generic Chaos stuff. 

When Warcry came out I bought a bunch of those warbands and those were generic Chaos but not really in hand for big battle stuff. 

So this will be the start of the sixth Chaos army (as I have Beastmen too.)

This is one week out on this army.  I still have a couple of models still to do from the set. 

These are the Chosen.  These are great models.  Appropriately brutal is the best way to describe them.  They are just great figures.  The army set came with 10 and I've done 8 of them so far.

They are pretty tough but also kick out a lot of damage in the game.  Their two handed weapons just look cool.  I don't have the banner bearer ready yet, but I went with the flag instead of the icon because I want to do some freehand on that.

The Ogroids are also pretty cool, although not as cool as the other two Ogroids they have released so far.  Also brutal looking models, you can build them with swords and shields or axes.  I thought the axes would be cooler looking, but now I'm sort of thinking the swords might be neater.  When they are released a la carte I'll get more so I can make command. 

I hate units that have command when they are only command, so I went with just regular guys. 

Anyway, I'm going to try to get to the last two chosen tonight.  The Daemon prince is assembled and primed but he is probably going to take a little while. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: Slaves to Darkness
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 06:32:52 AM »
They had their first outing tonight vs. the Lumineth. 

The Chosen and the Ogroids brought along some Untamed Beasts and were lead by a Darkoath Queen and her pet sorcerer. 

The scenario, and to a larger extent the table size, really favoured the forces of the Ruinous Powers.  On the first turn the Ogroids braved an arrow storm, only to vent their savage fury on the Elven archers.  All that was left moments later was torn clothing and bloody lumps of meat.

While the Untamed Beasts pinned the cavalry in place the Ogroids next advanced into them and destroyed them. 

Meanwhile the chosen had moved up and annihilated a unit of hammer-wielding temple guards. They were then beset by the Elven bladmasters and some more of the temple guards.  They lost a few of their number but the Ogroids joined in the fight and soon there were just dead elves everywhere.  The Warqueen joined the fray, catching one of the Elven mystics and slaughtering her. 

Quite quickly only the shinning company of pikes were left near the sacred Realmgate and they backed away from the ravening horde, keeping their 15-foot weapons between them and the enemy. 

This was about 1000 pts of Chaos vs. 1100 pts of Elves. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 05:10:02 PM »
I finished the last two Chosen.

Now it is time for the big guy.  I'm wondering if I can't make him work in yellow as the skin colour is holding me back from starting.  Etrigan was yellow after all. 

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 05:28:16 PM »
Ooh. Those are pretty spooky Chosen. And they seem to have cleaned up in the game. May get some when released separately.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 08:12:14 PM »
Lovely paint jobs!  :-*

Scary AAR.  :o

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 04:57:08 PM »
Away, away o' form of man . . .

I went for the yellow after all.  I don't see a lot of demons in yellow. 

It is a lovely kit.  Lots of options in it for customization, you can even make it into a 40K Chaos Space marine demon prince if you want. 

For fantasy the two options are a trophy rack or wings.  I think the wings look way cooler plus your demon prince can fly, which is very useful when doing things like sieging elves in castles.

The other options allow it to be dedicated to each of the chaos gods.  There are 6 different heads in the box.  One for each of the chaos deities and then the two for the generic worship of chaos.  I went with the unhelmed one.  The one with the helm looks weird to me, although I think if they had the helmet cover the eyes it would look a lot better.  Kind of a Judge Death look. 

Of all the heads, though, the Nurgle one seems to fit the least well as the body doesn't seem to match what you would want for a putrid follower of the disease god.

Overall, a huge improvement over the last plastic demon prince kit, which was just about ubiquitous in CSM armies of a certain period and always looked terrible.  That was a shame as the metal kit they had released prior to that was one of the best Chaos models GW has released to date. 

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 05:25:40 PM »
Great looking figures and games!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 10:26:26 PM »
Wicked demon.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 11:55:04 AM »
I managed to get a few more figures finished overnight. 

Three Chaos Legionnaires. 

I like this set.  Of the Warcry chaos warbands so far this is in my top three.

These are the line troops in this warband.  They are still pretty tough.  The Warband is chock full of hard hitters.

We're having an all-day Warcry campaign at my FLGS on the 17th.  I'm going to play these guys I think.  I still have to finish the other five of them though. 

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 04:42:58 PM »
I do like those (and that demon), they remind me a little of the old C35 chaos figures, which isn't a bad thing (in my view).

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 10:01:21 AM »
This new upgrade of the Chaos line for AoS looks very nice indeed.

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 02:59:19 AM »
A well painted force. Nice work.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 05:29:10 AM »
And now I have a Varanguard with a mark of Nurgle completed.  Next up are some more Legion guys. 

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 07:10:04 AM »
Nice and grimy.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 04:48:20 PM »
Thank you.  And now a couple of cute little chaos familiars before the rest of the Legionnaires.