Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:52:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm Ancient China Warring States - What ruels to use?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline DasBilligeAlien

• Lurker
6mm Ancient China Warring States - What ruels to use?
« on: November 23, 2022, 10:26:08 AM »
Howdy folks!

I am planing on doing a smaller chinese ancients project. Using the 6mm warring states range from Microworld Games.
https://www.microworldgames.com/collections/6mm-historical/Chinese_Warring_States

I asked at 5 places( one didnt gave any feedback so far) and this is the feedback (I combined HOTT and DBA)

3x Impetus
2x DBA
2x Strength and Honour
2x To the Strongest
2x Hail Ceasar
1x Mayhem
1x Ages of Conflict
1x Mortem et Gloriam
1x Command &Colours
1x 40k

Mortem at Gloriam, To The Strognest and DBA are the only ones where i know they have chinese armylists
The Lists in Mortem at Gloriam are nearly 500 years later though, for the romance of the three kingdoms period.

I tend towards To The Strongest currently as it has a simple boardgame like rules system and a grid which would allow playing over chat or video call.And all these Rules Options would also make it possible to play different rules. To the Strongest also has the possibility to play on a very saml surface (60x40 cm) which means I really oudl make a game in a box.

All that said i have not played or even read the system yet and I am very open to suggestions.
So whatcha say?

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: 6mm Ancient China Warring States - What ruels to use?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 10:45:11 AM »
What rules do you normally use for ancients? Just add halberds.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 12:29:07 PM »
TtS is a good game system, we have played the later ECW variant (For King and Parliament) more. The grid system works well, the activation system mixes things up nicely!

Most of the above could be shrunk using smaller bases if your aim is to have a game that is small in physical area.

Mayhem is an interesting shout - at its core its a fantasy game - but a good set of rules.

Offline DasBilligeAlien

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 01:22:57 PM »

That is my first time with ancients! I am surprised too. I didn't notice that until today. 

TtS is a good game system, we have played the later ECW variant (For King and Parliament) more. The grid system works well, the activation system mixes things up nicely!

Most of the above could be shrunk using smaller bases if your aim is to have a game that is small in physical area.

Mayhem is an interesting shout - at its core its a fantasy game - but a good set of rules.

Good to hear! I did buy the TtS rules and had a first look.

That's true and a part of my problem. I could use any of them.

I do love Mayhem but it is strongest at 6 elements per side I feel. I would rather go bigger or have the option for bigger as the battles during that time weren't exactly small.

There are many arguments to be made for all of the rules. Maybe even Warmaster Ancients? I know the warmaster rules well. This is honestly much harder than i thought :D

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 05:04:43 PM »

ADLG has halberds for Chinese troops

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 06:03:31 PM »
I've used TTS for nearly 5 years now and would highly recommend them. Of course you need a gridded mat and chits but as TTs reignited my love for Ancients and Medieval gaming it was a small price to pay. IMHO the rules work for all the periods I have tried, which range from Egyptians vs Hittites  to Wars of the Roses. The only missing piece of the jigsaw is how to recognise "characters".  They cover various sorts of generals for command and control purposes, but not "characters" such as you might have in WAB or some other rules. Another big bonus for us was the use of a grid which allowed game over Zoom . Vital during the Pandemic Lockdown but we still occasionally use it as we now have group members living in far flung parts of the country .

Offline Thoronde

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 08:37:59 AM »
Did somebody really recommend Warhammer 40k?

Offline DasBilligeAlien

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 09:38:26 AM »
ADLG has halberds for Chinese troops

Indeed looked on their website and they do have army lists for many asian periods.

I've used TTS for nearly 5 years now and would highly recommend them. Of course you need a gridded mat and chits but as TTs reignited my love for Ancients and Medieval gaming it was a small price to pay. IMHO the rules work for all the periods I have tried, which range from Egyptians vs Hittites  to Wars of the Roses. The only missing piece of the jigsaw is how to recognise "characters".  They cover various sorts of generals for command and control purposes, but not "characters" such as you might have in WAB or some other rules. Another big bonus for us was the use of a grid which allowed game over Zoom . Vital during the Pandemic Lockdown but we still occasionally use it as we now have group members living in far flung parts of the country .

That's good to hear. And yes playing over video call is one of the reasons that the game is high on my list.

Did somebody really recommend Warhammer 40k?

I am sure it was a joke, but i kept it to drive home how silly dominant that game is.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 02:30:57 PM »
I might have suggested DBA, Impetus, Mortem Et Gloriam (MeG), Art De La Guerre (ADLG), or Warmaster Ancients for most 6-15mm Ancients-to-Medieval games. Apart from ADLG which I'm unsure of, I know the others all have lists for the Chinese.

Hail Caesar is a bit like Warmaster Ancients in some ways, which given they are by the same author is perhaps not too surprising. However, Warmaster Ancients is out of print now, so you'd have to fish for a second-hand copy of the rules - not too hard, unless you're in a big hurry.

If you're after something that's fun and dynamic to play, doesn't need much book keeping, and don't mind something that isn't trying too hard to be "properly" historical, you might also look at Kings of War Historical. Plus, KoW is fairly popular, so finding opponents willing to give the Historical version may not necessarily be too hard. All units in KoW are multibased anyway, so if you change all dimensions from 1" to 1cm (or just halve all dimensions and base sizes - to play on a 2'x3' table), you're good to go.

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 11:47:13 AM »
Apart from ADLG which I'm unsure of, I know the others all have lists for the Chinese.

Multiple Chinese lists in the ADLG rule book

Offline DasBilligeAlien

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »
I might have suggested DBA, Impetus, Mortem Et Gloriam (MeG), Art De La Guerre (ADLG), or Warmaster Ancients for most 6-15mm Ancients-to-Medieval games. Apart from ADLG which I'm unsure of, I know the others all have lists for the Chinese.

I am happy to hear at least rules wise this era is quite supported! But as far as I am informed Mortem at Gloria is nearly 600 years later to what I am playing. Might be close enough though

Hail Caesar is a bit like Warmaster Ancients in some ways, which given they are by the same author is perhaps not too surprising. However, Warmaster Ancients is out of print now, so you'd have to fish for a second-hand copy of the rules - not too hard, unless you're in a big hurry.

Aye, indeed its the same basic rules engine. ANd its actually played locally, unlike...

If you're after something that's fun and dynamic to play, doesn't need much book keeping, and don't mind something that isn't trying too hard to be "properly" historical, you might also look at Kings of War Historical. Plus, KoW is fairly popular, so finding opponents willing to give the Historical version may not necessarily be too hard. All units in KoW are multibased anyway, so if you change all dimensions from 1" to 1cm (or just halve all dimensions and base sizes - to play on a 2'x3' table), you're good to go.

Besides Deadzone Mantic has a really hard time getting on the tables here. Which is a bit sad.

Multiple Chinese lists in the ADLG rule book

Ahaha, ok the Period is more supported than I thought. Which makes the Decision only harder, to be honest.  So I will keep experimenting with To The Strongest for now and then decide for a different rule set if that does not strike my fancy.

I thank every one for their input!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 04:33:16 PM »
I am happy to hear at least rules wise this era is quite supported! But as far as I am informed Mortem at Gloria is nearly 600 years later to what I am playing. Might be close enough though
Warring States lists for MeG here ;) :
https://mortem-et-gloriam.co.uk/meg/army-lists/early-asian-period/

I think they do a later period of lists for Chinese too.

As for KoW Historical... It's probably a lot less faff than Hail Caesar to actually play, for a similar outcome, and the regimental basing lends itself extremely well to small scales. If you can't get people to try it, then fair enough; but as I said earlier, I wouldn't discount it if you're after something fun and easy.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 12:30:55 AM »
There are also Chris Peers' Warring States rules. He has written a couple of books on Ancient Chinese warfare, so may have some insight:

https://www.brigadegames.com/Warring-States-Rules-for-Ancient-China-400-200BC_p_1649.html

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/307930/warring-states-wargames-rules-and-army-lists-warri