Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Epic thoughts...  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Epic thoughts...
« on: November 23, 2022, 11:48:19 AM »
So I got a bit of hankering to get back in Epic 40k... used to have largish Blood Angels army and Tyranid army with titans and all, but I was young (well, younger) and foolishly sold them to get a bit of cash. Kinda miss them... I do have a couple of plastic bits and the rulebooks left.

So now I gather there is the "new" Adeptus Titanicus in 8mm (?) and very little else available from GW. So I checked what I could find in the wonderful world of 3D printing, and it seems you can get lots of epic stuff, either for free or for a little money. I think it's a safe bet GW won't ever be returning to Epic outside of those Titans? I mean, it would make a lot of sense, be more economical for the collector, warmachines work better in smaller scale, the rules are great, and I wager it would be popular too, so of course they want nothing to do with it, probably? :D

I might then take a stab at printing some armies, might go 8mm this time, since it would make them combatible with AT, and just in case they do decide to rerelease EPIC? Any thoughts, I assume there are people on this forum who play EPIC.

In fact I already purchased some Varus Miniatures files for Galactic Bros or whatever they call, look pretty nice beaky marines.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 11:50:29 AM by Verderer »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Epic thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 12:37:02 PM »
I’m a big fan of the Epic range of figures and have 3 armies (Squats, Tyranids and Space Marines) and across the group I game with we have most of the armies.

Figure wise we have a mix of GW figures (from various eras) and from other manufacturers, Onslaught and Vanguard probably being the main two. We’ve not added that much 3D printed stuff - but mainly due to lack of need as armies are already big!

I’d have a look at the Vanguard stuff to see if you like that before deciding to go 6mm or 8mm. If you go 8mm you are pretty much limited to 3d printing. Using the 8mm AT titans with 6mm epic stuff isn’t going to be a problem, the titans are meant to be big after all!

Terrain also plays into this, but you can probably use the same for 6mm or 8mm. But there will be much more available pre-made in 6mm.

Rules wise, we moved away from Epic rules a while ago. The various different versions and therefore different army lists just became over complex. We have a very stripped down home brew set we use now, but have tried some different rules as well - the figures tend to port between rule sets pretty easily.

Struggling to find a game photo - so will leave you with a parade of Nids! Most of the infantry are onslaught, with GW for most of the ‘armour’ but other ranges used too.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 12:57:25 PM »
Personally I wouldn't worry too much regarding scale. It strikes me that Epic suffered from a similar problem GW has always suffered from, with nothing actually being to the same scale.

Just have to look at the original Rhinos and there is no way they could fit ten dudes in them.

I also get the impression original epic scaled down the aircraft. Aeronauticas aircraft are huge by comparison and might not even be scale to the new Titans, but since its sci fi its hard to tell.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 12:59:17 PM »
I'd stick with 6mm as well, for the reasons fred gives. Scenery especially is going to be easier to find in 6mm (as the pile of unpainted stuff in my loft will attest to :()

Also, if you decide to step outside the GW universe, companies like GZG and Brigade have loads of 6mm SF

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 01:48:15 PM »
oh nice, I wasn't aware of the Vanguard and Onslaught ranges... ok 6mm seems better option then. Thanks for the tips gents.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 02:02:29 PM »
Hey another one returns! I'm slowly recruiting people to epic at my local club as well! All 3d printer armies really.

So, this is a hotly debated point, but my 2 cents on the 8mm thing. The new titans are larger than the old ones, this is absolutely true. From my understanding they are very close to 1/4th the size of the 28mm ones... but we have very little hard numbers of what size a titan is even supposed to be! so the actual scale is impossible to pin down. It is generally agreed upon though that the classic titans for epic were smaller than they should be, just for practical purposes.
Either way, the new titans do not come with any human figures, so its hard to tell how many mm tall they should be... but there  are some doors, and they are maybe 7 ish mm tall in many cases, plenty for a 6mm figure, low for a 8mm. but again those buildings are sculpted with production in mind before scale one imagines.
All in all, I'd say 8mm is a myth, its more "properly" sized titans for sure, but that only works if you don't then also scale up the infantry otherwise they are too small again!

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 02:16:37 PM »
Good call. I've always found my Epic Imperator titan (the original plastic one) to be way too small, especially when compared to the artwork and fluff. no way a regiment of Guard could be deployed from those tiny little doors, let alone transporting them in there (just imagine having to sit in one of those legs while the titan is moving. Every step is a guaranteed concussion. By the time it's time to decant, you'd be longing for an Ork choppa to the helmet)

I love the silly thing though...  lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 02:47:02 PM »
Its all very silly and I love it dearly.

BTW, @fred I love what you've done with the oval bases on the tyranids! I went with round to give them the most swarm organic feel but those ovals work so well!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 06:33:16 PM »
Indeed the scale of the original stuff is all over the place, especially the various titans.

BTW, @fred I love what you've done with the oval bases on the tyranids! I went with round to give them the most swarm organic feel but those ovals work so well!

Cheers YPU - I saw it on a nid army online, and liked the look, feel it works well for them.

I do like the look of your figures too - are those the original gene stealer figures, I do like them?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 06:40:43 PM »
Cheers YPU - I saw it on a nid army online, and liked the look, feel it works well for them.

I do like the look of your figures too - are those the original gene stealer figures, I do like them?

Thanks! No 3d printed ones, all of them.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 06:42:03 PM »
That would explain why I’ve not seen them (I couldn’t recall if anyone in our gaming group had the original GW infantry figures for the nids).

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 10:00:17 PM »
You might want to check these guys out ... https://www.rokminis.com/shop.

(No connection to me, but I saw them at Warfare last weekend and was impressed by some of their stuff).

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2022, 08:09:19 AM »
The AT Titans will work great for 6mm. I think the whole 8mm idea comes from a designer saying that a Space Marine would be approximately 8mm in the AT scale, but they're meant to be bigger than a regular human anyway, who would remain 6mm. Therefore, I reckon AT is still aimed at 6mm but would (theoretically) have taller marines than the older Epic.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2022, 09:39:19 AM »
The AT Titans will work great for 6mm. I think the whole 8mm idea comes from a designer saying that a Space Marine would be approximately 8mm in the AT scale, but they're meant to be bigger than a regular human anyway, who would remain 6mm. Therefore, I reckon AT is still aimed at 6mm but would (theoretically) have taller marines than the older Epic.

Right yes, I missed that tidbit in my summary! The number wasn't pulled from thin air by the community, but this was exactly the era where GW was introducing its primaries marines, which are "correctly sized" compared to regular humans... maybe. You just cant trust GW when it comes to scale.  ::)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2022, 09:57:39 AM »
By the way I have a painted Epic Eldar army if anyone is interested. Dates back to circa 2002. Probably only of interest to someone in UK.