Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Speed Painted Late Romans  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Speed Painted Late Romans
« on: November 23, 2022, 03:59:12 PM »
In a few weeks I will be entering The Analogue Hobbies Painting challenge with a Thematic Byzantine army that I'm putting together. Before the event, I thought it prudent to slay the demons of the Varnishing Disaster nightmare which stopped me in my tracks in last year's challenge after prepping hundreds of Late Roman miniatures!

I'm not really happy with the painting style on these miniatures so will be selling them. Not yet as I have another 8 of the Late Roman Celtae Seniores Auxillia Palatinum (Infantry) to complete first. Unfortunately there will be no more cavalry models as the first six were ruined by the varnish from last year.

They will be appearing in the Bazaar for sale when the last eight miniatures are complete.

Celtae Seniores Auxillia Palatinum

#

Cataphracts/Clibanarii:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:00:46 PM by Atheling »

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Re: Speed Painted Late Romans
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 04:06:39 PM »
They look pretty darned good to me! Top work.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 05:15:21 PM »
All I can say is that your standards must be very high, because those figures compare favorably with pretty much anything I have seen on a gaming table. Whoever buys them will be getting a great looking unit.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 05:38:42 PM »
Excellent

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 07:02:22 PM »
They look good to me.  I can see most of your figures are painted to a higher standard, but as these are "speed painted" they are brilliant.

(What make are the figures?  Look like fun to paint.)

Offline Cyrus1

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 07:35:19 PM »
Superb Late Romans!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 08:16:38 PM »
Thanks guys. If you take the shield transfers out of the equation then you're looking at four sessions of about two hours.

They look good to me.  I can see most of your figures are painted to a higher standard, but as these are "speed painted" they are brilliant.

(What make are the figures?  Look like fun to paint.)

They're from Footsore Miniatures mate. The old Musketeer Miniatures range.
https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/late-roman-romano-british-early-byzantine

They do paint up well.

All I can say is that your standards must be very high, because those figures compare favorably with pretty much anything I have seen on a gaming table.

They really were painted a lot faster than I would normally paint. Below an example of my normal painting standard:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:53:32 PM by Atheling »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 08:21:11 PM »
Those look great and will grace any table.  :-*

One small comment. The cavalrymen's legs are too wide. Cavalrymen, like any horse rider, use their legs to give commands to the horses: walk, stop, turn, charge. So anyone who rides a horse will have their legs wrapped closely next to the horse's body.

Don't mean to spoil anything. That is an awesome army including the cavalry.  :)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 09:39:17 PM »
I can see some differences between the “full” painting on the cavalry (which are outstanding) and the “speed” job on the infantry, but I would still rate the infantry pretty highly. Still, though, the only thing that matters is how you rate them, and if the painting on the infantry is going to bother you then selling them is a good call. I have no doubt that most folks with suitable collections would be happy to recruit them!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 09:59:00 PM »
Those look great and will grace any table.  :-*

Thanks mate.

One small comment. The cavalrymen's legs are too wide. Cavalrymen, like any horse rider, use their legs to give commands to the horses: walk, stop, turn, charge. So anyone who rides a horse will have their legs wrapped closely next to the horse's body.

Yeah, that is certainly a problem when trying to fit Gripping Beast Late Roman Cats on Footsore horses. There is reason behind the madness though, what was the front rank (pre "Varnishing Disaster" lest year); I wanted to include some attacking poses and Gripping Beast do them and Footsore don't.
#
Don't mean to spoil anything. That is an awesome army including the cavalry.  :)

Nothing spoiled matey.

I can see some differences between the “full” painting on the cavalry (which are outstanding) and the “speed” job on the infantry, but I would still rate the infantry pretty highly. Still, though, the only thing that matters is how you rate them, and if the painting on the infantry is going to bother you then selling them is a good call. I have no doubt that most folks with suitable collections would be happy to recruit them!

That's very kind of you to say so. They will be up for sale in about a week (with an extra eight infantry) so hopefully they will raise a worthy price!  :D

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 02:08:28 AM »
If that's your speed painting, what does your slow stuff look like? Breathing and waving swords?  :o
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 08:59:22 AM »
If that's your speed painting, what does your slow stuff look like? Breathing and waving swords?  :o

OK, there is actually quite a difference if you look closely:

Speed Painted Beja:

Normal Pace Byzantines:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 12:51:56 PM by Atheling »

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 11:22:17 AM »
Being lucky enough to have 9 skirmishers from one of Atheling's older projects (HYW) anyone who gets the unit will be in for a real treat.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 12:50:40 PM »
These are some really outstanding speedpaints!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 02:18:52 PM »
Being lucky enough to have 9 skirmishers from one of Atheling's older projects (HYW) anyone who gets the unit will be in for a real treat.

Thanks mate  :)

These are some really outstanding speedpaints!

All speed painting is relative ;) :)