Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:39:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Speed Painted Late Romans  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Speed Painted Late Romans
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 05:04:24 PM »
Looking good! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 04:04:51 PM »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 03:47:20 PM »
"Methinks thou doth protest too much."  You even have shields where the underlying wood construction shows through.

Maybe you need a reminder that once painted figures are on the table and the game is afoot, players aren't focused on the figures but on the action.  It is nice to have display case quality figures but it is enough to have game ready figures to put on the table with acceptable paint jobs.  Your paint jobs well surpass the acceptable test - by a wide margin.  All that is needed is to texture the bases and the figures are game ready.   ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 04:20:11 PM »
"Methinks thou doth protest too much."  You even have shields where the underlying wood construction shows through.

I have Steve from Little Big Man Transfers to thank for that  8)

Maybe you need a reminder that once painted figures are on the table and the game is afoot, players aren't focused on the figures but on the action.  It is nice to have display case quality figures but it is enough to have game ready figures to put on the table with acceptable paint jobs.  Your paint jobs well surpass the acceptable test - by a wide margin.  All that is needed is to texture the bases and the figures are game ready.   ;)

I can see what you're getting at and thank you for your comments. The thing is, "acceptable" is relative. I asked myself, would I put this unit next to say, my Early Byzantines and the answer was a resounding "no!". I'm happy to sell them when the unit is complete- I rarely sell anything nowadays but I have a vast number of Late Roman miniatures to paint so being a unit or two down won't hurt matters. ?I'll just make sure that I put more effort into the next lot :)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2022, 04:37:08 PM »
Just curious about technique- would it be feasible to strategically add highlight, or some other over-painting, to the speed painted unit to “narrow the gap” between them and the figures painted in your usual style? Or are the techniques different enough that it would be more trouble than it is worth?

I realize you’re fine with selling the speed painted unit and I’m not trying to convince you to keep them, I’m just curious about the technical pros and cons!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2022, 06:17:30 PM »
Just curious about technique- would it be feasible to strategically add highlight, or some other over-painting, to the speed painted unit to “narrow the gap” between them and the figures painted in your usual style? Or are the techniques different enough that it would be more trouble than it is worth?

I realize you’re fine with selling the speed painted unit and I’m not trying to convince you to keep them, I’m just curious about the technical pros and cons!

It simply comes down to the speed painted stuff being done with less care about where the brushstrokes land. I don't know how else I could describe it.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2022, 06:29:58 PM »
I see, thanks for the reply. I think I have done something similar back when I was using techniques based on layering up from black primer. Precision definitely makes a difference in the final effect. It is less of an issue now that I am using block-and-wash techniques (but that has its own issues…)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2022, 05:46:33 AM »
I see, thanks for the reply. I think I have done something similar back when I was using techniques based on layering up from black primer. Precision definitely makes a difference in the final effect. It is less of an issue now that I am using block-and-wash techniques (but that has its own issues…)

No probs. I'm not averse to using the odd wash and glazes- if you look at the Beja above (Page 1), both their skin tones have been glazed and and their clothing heavily washed before highlighting again.

This is far from my normal practice; at the time I was looking for ways to speed my painting up- which worked.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 07:00:26 AM by Atheling »

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 09:02:10 AM »
Great looking unit, and from a distance its hard to tell they were 'speed painted'.

Can I just confirm that you are saying you painted a 16 figure unit to that standard in four 2 hour blocks?
I would struggle just to block in the basic colours in that time, let alone complete the detail work.
Am I missing something here?  :?

David

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 09:30:56 AM »
Great looking unit, and from a distance its hard to tell they were 'speed painted'.

Can I just confirm that you are saying you painted a 16 figure unit to that standard in four 2 hour blocks?

Approximately yes.

I would struggle just to block in the basic colours in that time, let alone complete the detail work.
Am I missing something here?  :?

What are you suggesting David?

I did mention that the miniatures were primed, undercoated, and had the shield transfers applied before I took off with the brush.

I've been painting for decades is all I can add.

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2022, 09:43:27 AM »

What are you suggesting David?

I did mention that the miniatures were primed, undercoated, and had the shield transfers applied before I took off with the brush.

I've been painting for decades is all I can add.

I was just hoping there might be a simple trick I have missed so that I could get through my lead pile quicker   :)
I would love to be able to achieve that level of speed, so its back to practicing I guess.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2022, 10:15:20 AM »
I normally reckon on 5 to 10 minutes per figure to paint, depending on complexity. So 16 figures would take about 2 to 3 hours

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2022, 11:04:29 AM »
I was just hoping there might be a simple trick I have missed so that I could get through my lead pile quicker   :)

Not really. The only thing I can add is to reduce the accuracy of your brushstrokes (this is harder to do than it sounds as we all have a natural pace in which we paint) . I've been painting miniatures for three decades so I suppose that helps too.

I would love to be able to achieve that level of speed, so its back to practicing I guess.

It's a huge cliche but it really is just practice.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2022, 08:25:37 AM »
I find the biggest aid to speed is to realise that figures only get seen from a couple of feet away once you have painted them. Block paint and ink wash looks fine from a distance, and is very fast. I would much rather have 1000 average figures than 100 perfect ones.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2022, 08:35:05 AM »
I find the biggest aid to speed is to realise that figures only get seen from a couple of feet away once you have painted them. Block paint and ink wash looks fine from a distance, and is very fast. I would much rather have 1000 average figures than 100 perfect ones.

We're back to each to their own. In many ways that is what I'm trying to reach for with the speed painted models; the problem being, I just can't face the results! It's odd, as I didn't have the same negative reaction with the speed painted Beja (see above) or the Afghans (see below):