Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Waterloo in 28mm - My journey log  (Read 46387 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Waterloo in 28mm - My journey log
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2022, 12:07:54 PM »
absolutely as Fred says above.

I actually quite like the inky 'glow' for fantasy - but I too wouldn't have picked the units shown thus far as mostly Contrast painted.

first time I've seen results like this with a Historicals unit. Brilliant.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 05:17:35 PM by Bloggard »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2022, 02:03:12 PM »
What a project.... Would never be able to cope with such a massiv painting plan.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline IronDuke596

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2022, 05:30:41 PM »
I echo fred's comments and many thanks for posting your painting methodology.

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2022, 05:46:43 PM »
Big thanks for the painting method, painting the half dark-half white uniforms of the Napoleonic era is a pain in the ass, but your method sounds fast and gives a really cool looking result.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2022, 07:16:26 PM »
Fantastic looking figures! Well done!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2022, 11:01:55 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words. Below are the VIII KGL Line which completes the 2nd KGL Brigade commanded by Colonel Baron Ompteda at the bottom. Onward to the Hannoverians!

Wargaming Workshop - My hobby journey and collection
Allied Army of the Netherlands - my current Waterloo 28mm project

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2022, 07:59:24 PM »
Now, those KGL fellers look good, too!  Love that command base, as well.
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2022, 10:46:47 PM »
A productive weekend digging into Kielmansegg's Hannoverian's of the 1st Hannover Brigade. Below we have the Light Battalion Grubenhagen and Light Battalion Lueneburg. At Waterloo, both battalions included a cadre of NCOs and officers from the KGL Light battalions, so I sprinkled in a few models from that range. These are metal Perry Miniatures.

The weekend also had a "setback" with respect to the remaining model count. I very much like the idea of a standard battery being the same 20cm width as a standard infantry battalion - it appeals to my sense of order! - but the 2-model batteries did look a bit light. I toyed with ways to include three guns but obviously 20cm doesn't divide neatly by 3. And then it dawned on me: artillery doesn't have "formations". So there really is no need to keep individual bases. Instead, I have now decided to base a 6-gun battery on a single 20x10cm base with *three* models. A large battery of 8 guns will go onto a 30x10cm base with four models. Of course that meant procuring another three dozen guns which adds around 200 more models to the painting list! Which just happens to be roughly the same number as all the painted stuff so far... Net zero again...

Offline IronDuke596

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2022, 05:04:31 PM »
Lovely painted units and very useful additions to your collection.

Re artillery; actually there are artillery formations that are subject to the rules one uses.  I use General de brigade and the formations listed are Limbered, deployed and massed.

I strongly recommend that you place your guns a crews (4) on a separate base. I use a 60 x 80mm base for 3 to 12 pounders (you could have a slightly larger base for 12pdrs)  and larger bases for 18 and 24pdrs. Having guns (ratio 1 model gun = 2 real guns) on separate bases allows you to use the three artillery formations including the ubiquitous road columns.

For your consideration, I do not glue the gun to the base, so that it can removed and hooked up to a limber and horse team for movement. In my armies every gun has a limber and horse team. I do this to simulate that extensive artillery park that was directly behind the gun line. It also looks good. I realize that not everyone has the budget or time to accomplish this but I think it is worthwhile.

I hope this comment was helpful. I continue to look forward to your project's continued development. It is a joy to view such well painted figures.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2022, 05:37:52 PM »
Lovely figures! Nicely done! Masterful brushwork!

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2022, 12:21:33 AM »
Ironduke, thanks for the advice. I am quite wedded to the "everything on consistent bases" mantra. Hence the desire to fit a regular 6-gun battery onto a 20cm frontage matching the infantry and cavalry. I am definitely adding limbers - "budget" is obviously not a constraining factor to my madness :) - so any form of moving battery can be represented by those.

Here we have the third of the Hannoverian Light Battalions, from Osnabrueck, to complete that half of the 1st Hannover Brigade. These have been partially transitioned to British uniforms but only got the white crossbelts so far. When bulk painting literal green men, one latches onto such small differences to retain one's sanity!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2022, 01:23:50 AM »
You are a painting machine Sir! Since you started this thread you have already exceeded my expected yearly output  :'(
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2022, 04:13:55 AM »
Vodkafan - Thanks. It's the only way for me to wind down from my high stress job :). And Contrast paint truly is a miracle tool. Not only because one coat does the job, but also because it practically flows off the brush into all the nooks and crannies of the complex geometry of Napoleonic uniforms.

Today, we are continuing with the "transition process" of the 1st Hannoverian Brigade. The Field Battalion Bremen was half-way through the shift to British uniforms - more than just white crossbelts - so I represented them as a mix of old Hannoverian green uniforms and shiny new red ones (with a few Hannoverian field caps). The British uniforms all have light company wings to reflect the notional "light" designation of the Field Battalion. Green feathers on their outdated stovepipe shakos for the same reason. And they have some rifles sprinkled in from the Hannoverian Jaeger tradition. And blue trousers for some reasons. This unit truly has it all... or just had an insane quartermaster!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 04:17:53 AM by Helge »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2022, 06:30:24 AM »
nice additions

Offline Emporium

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2022, 10:07:48 AM »
Usually I label huge projects like yours as mere dreams almost impossible to achive, let alone by a single person. But looking at your methodical attitude (the storage of your primed "to do" figures is astonishing) and at your steady progress (I've counted more than 12 figures a day) I bet you can get it!
Please keep on and update your progress!
Ah, i like a lot your basing/painting technique very effective and good looking.
Cheers.