Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:34:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 636
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Waterloo in 28mm - My journey log  (Read 46491 times)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Waterloo in 28mm - My journey log
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2023, 07:29:28 PM »
I think you are going to need a bigger table. Wonderful units.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2023, 03:55:07 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. The Allied Army just barely fits onto my 9'x5' table (if tightly packed and of course still much of it as empty bases for placeholders). Once they are done, I will have to figure out display storage so that the table gets clearer for the Prussians and French. But that's a worry for the future.

For now, here we have 16th Light Dragoons. I build these in older uniforms just for a bit of variety among the seven Light Dragoon regiments. Not historically accurate but the Tarleton helmet needs to be in there somewhere :)

This wraps up 4th Cavalry Brigade. Next I will tackle the heavies of 2nd Cavalry Brigade (can't do first because I am still waiting for Victrix to release its Lifeguard models).
Wargaming Workshop - My hobby journey and collection
Allied Army of the Netherlands - my current Waterloo 28mm project

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2023, 08:25:10 AM »
Yes totally agree about the tarletons!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2023, 07:33:32 PM »
Great looking cavalry!

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2023, 05:07:40 PM »
Change of plans. Instead of grinding through the cavalry, I thought I would mix in the Royal Horse Artillery batteries as each cavalry brigade is completed. To that end, I batched a bunch of them to "catch up" with the RHA assigned to non-cavalry formations. The guns are Perry metal and the crew are the usual mix of random manufacturers to give variety. I included a mounted model for each battery to visually separate them from the foot artillery.

First we have the two batteries of KGL Horse Artillery which are respectively attached to 1st and 2nd British Infantry Division (finishing those) as well as the two batteries assigned to the general reserve.

2nd KGL Horse Artillery with 9pdr guns (1st Division)

1st KGL Horse Artillery with 9pdr guns (2nd Division)

Bean's A Troop RHA with 6pdr guns (Reserves)

Ross' D Troop RHA with 6 pdr guns (Reserves)

With the "backlog" out of the way, I now have one more RHA battery for each of the British cavalry brigades. Since we finished 4th Brigade, let's add Gardiner's E Troop with their 6pdr guns.

*Now* on to the heavy cavalry!

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2023, 02:07:38 AM »
Here we have Major General Sir Ponsonby, commanding 2nd Cavalry Brigade. Often referred to as the "Union" brigade due to its mix of English, Scottish and Irish regiments. The model is Perry.

And the 1st "Royal" Dragoons using Victrix plastic models.

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2023, 12:40:15 AM »
and the Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons). These are Warlord models.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2023, 02:11:58 AM »
As always, impressive output.  Keep up the momentum!

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2023, 02:56:38 AM »
And here we have the 6th "Inniskilling" Dragoons, completing the Union Brigade.

Attached to them is F Troop RHA with their 6pdr guns.

For variety - since the cavalry is clearly a limited hit - i will treat myself to a brigade of colourful Dutch-Belgians. Specifically, let's have a crack of Bijlandt's Brigade who have such a disputed history during the battle. Did they run on first contact or retreat only after intense firefight?

For our amusement, my spreadsheet tells me that the full allied OOB at Waterloo comes to 6608 points using the Black Powder point system. There, you know this useless factoid now :). Maybe more importantly at this scale, it fills a full 9'x5' table if tightly packed...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 06:41:02 PM by Helge »

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2023, 08:45:43 AM »
Your progress and commitment is amazing!
Keep it up.
I'm looking forward to your next units.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2023, 02:06:18 PM »
I'm absolutely green with envy!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2023, 03:33:44 PM »
Wow!  You keep showing us some marvy figures.  Well done!  Again...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2023, 12:24:26 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words. Regrettably, I have to report an "incident" that may impact my painting pace. While my Waterloo project is grand in scale, it is limited to the historical order of battle so I am painting against a static target. Armed with that mental safety net, I carelessly wandered to the Warlord Games website to look for just a few more flag finials for the ocean of French flags in preparation - some 80+ battalions. They had a big banner announcing a loyalty reward scheme offering sprues of their new 13.5mm Pike and Shotte line. Like an uninhibited toddler - but one armed with a lot of "points" after buying countless Napoleonic models - I clicked a lot of buttons. And then some guy on Youtube said that Peter Pig metal fit the scale so that website got a visit too. Boom, I had a considerable English Civil War collection. Except in my enthusiasm I forgot to order the actual stuff I needed (it happens :)). Having already bought all one could possibly get from the Pike & Shotte range - and on the principle that one civil war is much like another - I filled a second "free shipping" basket with their 13.5mm American Civil War boxes. The things one does to "save" $10 in shipping! And then back to the metal suppliers...

Bottom line, after a wanton evening of online indulgence, I now own about a thousand bases of 13.5mm ECW and ACW models. And that might just delay progress for the Napoleonics when they cross the Atlantic ocean! :)

On my positive news, the promptly summoned architect thinks that a substantial building expansion might be allowed on the property so there is hope that all this stuff can get a "historical display room" later in the year rather than encroaching on the existing display cabinets. Once painted of course...

Speaking of painting, it is now time to hit the Netherlands. Specifically, 2nd Netherlands Division commanded by LG Baron de Perponcher-Sedlnitzky, accompanied here by his ADC from 2nd Nassau.

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2023, 07:55:34 AM »
I hope you dont get too distract by your civil war purchases  ;)

So, not only are you painting the complete armies for Waterloo, in order to house them you are going to build a new extension to your house?

Wow! I just love your commitment to this project.

Keep it going, I look forward to your updates.

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2023, 01:11:47 PM »
At least I have some time until the parcels arrive!

As for the extra room, this was becoming a pressure factor even before the Waterloo project. My gaming room was built with a good amount of display cabinets, but over the last decade they have all been filled. The main cabinet is now as tightly packed as I can with display trays installed every 8" (below is a snapshot of one of the three cabinets). The side cabinets are also all full.

For the Waterloo Project, my long term ambitious is a diorama layout in museum-style display cases. That will need four sections of 6m x 3m each to cover Hougoumont & far west wing, centre, east wing, and Plancenoit (see below). As it happens, my kids currently occupy a floor with rooms laid out conveniently in the kind of L shape needed for the battlefield. So mutterings of "your room will be Papelotte when you go to uni" can occasionally be heard at the dinner table :).

For now though, I have to contend myself with just an extra room full of display cabinets. The room is already there - adjacent to my existing game room - but the stuff in it will have to be migrated so a new solarium will have to be added for that purpose. Until that's built, I will just gradually encroach by building one display cabinet at a time. And by gradual, I mean like Napoleon's encroachment on the German states ... because 6 cabinets are ordered already... :). Those will fit the Allied Army on 17 display trays as shown below. Not super spacious, but it will do. Then 6 more for the French and a handful for the Prussians...

Now it just needs to all be painted. I am a bit over half-way there...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 06:44:40 PM by Helge »