Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686465
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Tillyangus and Burning of Corgarff Castle - 16thC Gordon Forbes Feud  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
I had a chance today to play test two scenarios from my forthcoming book on the Gordon-Forbes Feud in 16thC North east Scotland, fought against the backdrop of the Marian Civil War.

The first of the was the battle of Tillyangus, fought near the village of Clatt in Aberdeenshire im October 1571. Here the Gordon's battered their way through a roadblock set up by their enemies, in support for the throne, in religion and  for control of the north east - the Forbes family.

The game went well for the former and true to history Black Arthur Forbes was slain.

After lunch we were at the upper reaches of the river Don, near to the pass of the Lecht at the lonely tower of Corgarff castle (without the later 18th century wall). Here Adam Gordon had caught Lady Forbes and her family and in an infamous act which would go down in song set fire to the tower. In this scenario I let Forbes of Towie attempt to reach his family and it was a race against the flames. Forbes had to get there before 8 red cards were drawn from a pack of cards.

Although it was a close run thing, the Gordon's prevailed again and their terrible act was sealed.

More details on my blog

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
    • Will's Tabletop Projects
Very cool. I'm always a sucker for games in this era.

What rule set were you using? (Assuming the upcoming book is a campaign / scenario / reference sort.)
Focused on 6mm pike and shot and 28mm Frostgrave
Blogging about my projects at Tabletop.WillPhillips.org

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
We used Lion Rampant.

However I don't put rule specific scenarios in my books, only suggesting suitable sets as a guide.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
A very interesting conflict to game, looking forward to getting the book when it comes out. :)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Those Bloody Border Reivers.  Very cool indeed.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Two interesting scenarios and fascinating history.  👍

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Those Bloody Border Reivers.  Very cool indeed.

Not the borders....up in Aberdeenshire and  the Highlands

Capt Kerr possibly of border stock, but as Adam Gordon's henchman guilty by association more than by origin.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
Played Craibstane at Targe the other month it was great fun and something I knew nothing about - looking forward to this!

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
We played another game tonight, refighting Battle of Glenlivet.

This was a bit thrown together and initially I allocated Argyll's foot a mix of levies and clansmen. The former melted away in a way which didn't give much to the game so we quickly restarted, this time with them as light foot.

The made for a better game and the clash between Argyll's force and the horse of Hay of Errol and the Gordon Earl of Huntly's foot was more even. However Argyll was slain and this triggered a courage check across his army and it didn't do well with most of the royalist army routed.

A few piccies below and more on my blog

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
What great fun.  Love the era.

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
 There's a lot more going on in the north east and west of Scotland than you might think in this period. Whilst the European mainland, Elizabethan Ireland and the Borders get attention there's some intriguing goings on here.

After reading about Spanish troops helping to settle some scores in the Hebrides and the two Spanish cannon within spitting distance of where I live, I think there will be some interesting skirmishes in the new year.