Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:51:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WAB remembrances twenty years of AtG  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Shark in Exile

• Student
Re: WAB remembrances twenty years of AtG
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 10:38:34 PM »
I got the chance to play test the draft Successor’s supplement in a WAB event, would have been a great supplement once released.

Other ones I know or play tested
Wars of the Roses
Trojan Wars

Am sure there where others as well

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2022, 08:59:02 PM »
I got the chance to play test the draft Successor’s supplement in a WAB event, would have been a great supplement once released.

Other ones I know or play tested
Wars of the Roses
Trojan Wars

Am sure there where others as well

Was this the original WAB 1 version or the WAB2 version? Just asking for curiosity's sake. Thanks for the kind words. Work and life trauma conspired to drop further development of that book, or spinning it off into a stand alone publication. The good news is the work survives as passed along to other rules sets, and when I wrote the MS there was a dearth of Successor focused works available. Now there is a very rich body of work that fills in the time from Alexander's death to end of the Successor states  at Actium. Now there is so many good sources I would hesitate to start.
Just in the last year the Paul Johstono book on the Ptolemaic army blew the roof off of a lot of dusty old writings. Even my thought of elephants at Raphia - as libertine as they were- have been rendered obsolete by the DNA findings that some Somalian herds were Savannah elephants.

A review:
https://networks.h-net.org/node/12840/reviews/10276496/beek-johstono-army-ptolemaic-egypt-323-204-bc-institutional-and#:~:text=Overall%2C%20Johstono's%20work%20provides%20a,decline%20in%20the%20Egyptian%20army.

An absolute deal on Kindle:
https://www.amazon.com/Army-Ptolemaic-Egypt-323-204-Institutional-ebook/dp/B09SBP71MX

Thanks

JJonas

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 02:38:44 AM »
Your were a trend setter!

Offline Shark in Exile

• Student
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 05:41:46 PM »
“Was this the original WAB 1 version or the WAB2 version? Just asking for curiosity's sake.”

It was a mighty draft of the WAB 1 version. Never played WAB 2 as we enjoyed WAB 1.5 so much

Still one of my favourite games and one that gets played a couple times a year…….time to dust off my Seleucids lol lol
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 05:50:45 PM by Shark in Exile »

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2022, 01:02:04 AM »
It was a mighty draft of the WAB 1 version. Never played WAB 2 as we enjoyed WAB 1.5 so much

Still one of my favourite games and one that gets played a couple times a year…….time to dust off my Seleucids lol lol

Cool, this was what the Early Successors lists were supposed to look like for WAB 1.0

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2022, 06:47:42 PM »
Thanks for posting that!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2022, 07:23:38 AM »
Would be a great thing to get all these unreleased stuff - even as a raw version. WAB was a long time follower in my gaming life. I hope of a real renaissance of it.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2022, 06:36:00 PM »
NurgleHH,
WAB is alive and well oop north in sunny Manchester!
3 events last year and at least two planned and all booked in for next year.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2023, 04:20:26 PM »
Hi Jeff.  It's frightening how fast time passes but a little bit of nostalgia is good for the soul.  I was too late for the AtG play testing but I remember the days of the WABlist and some of the other 'secret' Yahoo groups fondly.   Your web page at ancientbattles.com has been like an old friend too.  It's still an Aladdin's cave of great ideas, information and painting with a place in my heart next to now sadly lost By Jingo! and the Perfect Captain.   :)

There was a lot of creativity that sprung from WAB in those days.  My own efforts to get a Roman/Caesar book to print sadly ended in frustration but I enjoyed the discussions and it was a good spur to read the sources.

Belated happy anniversary.  :D

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2023, 11:47:31 PM »
Hi Jeff.  It's frightening how fast time passes but a little bit of nostalgia is good for the soul.  I was too late for the AtG play testing but I remember the days of the WABlist and some of the other 'secret' Yahoo groups fondly.   Your web page at ancientbattles.com has been like an old friend too.  It's still an Aladdin's cave of great ideas, information and painting with a place in my heart next to now sadly lost By Jingo! and the Perfect Captain.   :)

There was a lot of creativity that sprung from WAB in those days.  My own efforts to get a Roman/Caesar book to print sadly ended in frustration but I enjoyed the discussions and it was a good spur to read the sources.

Belated happy anniversary.  :D

Frightening indeed! Thanks for the website praise. I only wish I devoted more time to it, so far I've never had to fund it since my hobby writing usually pays for it every year. Those other sites are sorely missed. Your lost Roman/Caesar book is another huge lacuna in the WAB sourcebook parade. Spartacus was ok, but it was a better campaign book than an army list IMHO. I also remember fondly the WABlist and devs list focus and attention to detail that everyone possessed and the drive that everybody had to try to make the system complete, competitive, and still casual enough to not drive off outsiders.

Turns out my actual "anniversary" of release is in July so I'm actually remembering when I was done, and it was off to the presses. But seriously I will need to host a game party where some Persians can get their revenge.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2023, 01:24:13 PM »
An anniversary game is a great idea.  Now where did I put my silver shield? ;)