Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:17:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 3mm SYW need help  (Read 662 times)

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
3mm SYW need help
« on: November 30, 2022, 03:06:59 AM »
We seem to be moving into 3mm SYW for the grand sweep of battles.  The only rules I have found so far are for 28 or 18mm.  Are there any rules, basing ideas for 3mm.   I think I need the help for rules and almost everything else.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: 3mm SYW need help
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 08:04:10 AM »
Any rules that are element based will work with smaller figures. A couple of ones to look at

Maurice - by Sam Mustapha - not certain this is still in print though

Honours of War - part of the osprey blue books series

Offline Sweign

• Student
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 10:08:39 AM »
Try King of the Battlefield Eighteenth Century Wargame Rules.

Great rules. Especially for large multiplayer games.

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 10:22:50 AM »
Maurice is good fun and has an interesting card play mechanic that leads to games having bursts of action followed by lulls in the battle as you catch your breath, and offers good engagement and meaningful decision making. It's points-based which makes it easy to set up a quick game if the mood takes. You can still buy it directly as paperback book and pdf from Sam Mustafa's website: https://sammustafa.com/store.

I also like Volley and Bayonet: Road to Glory which has a couple of SYW sourcebooks available. It's a more 'normal' set of rules that allows you to play big battles easily. Playing in 3mm, I would be inclined to play at reduced scale, either half-scale or by converting all measurements from inches to centimetres which will let you play big battles on a relatively small table. It also has an interesting scenario generation system for those times you don't want to play a historical battle. More on the rules here: https://volleyandbayonet.wordpress.com/about/
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline Hwiccee

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 11:23:18 AM »
You could use Twilight of the Soldier Kings which are a set for large historical battles, generally with smaller scale figures. There are scenarios in the rules and also a scenario book. In addition there are a growing number of scenarios to download.

Basing is flexible and there is no taking figures off, etc. Most people use 1 or 2 bases per brigade of around 60mm per base and as many figures as you like on the base.

The website here has details - https://www.wyrehistoricbooks.co.uk/home