Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:06:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sludge-The Conciliarchy of Cephvn (Royalists)  (Read 1738 times)

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
Sludge-The Conciliarchy of Cephvn (Royalists)
« on: November 30, 2022, 11:00:45 AM »
I was immediately captivated by Sludge when Sean Sutter released it in 2020 but had no budget or time, but now I've finally been able to build up and paint an army. I love kitbashing and used the opportunity to go wild here, including my first foray into greenstuff. Just simple details like chainmail masks and cloaks. Visually I was very much inspired by Dishonored and the whaling ships of the 19th century, as well as the battlefield of Ypres. I still haven't built an army leader, my Fen Graf, as the Conciliarchy calls them, or my battle kites. I've got several schematics kicking around and am actively hunting for materials to make those visions a reality. I hope you won't have to wait two years to see those. Lastly, I apologize for the potato photography. My old Android really just isn't up to the job of capturing fine details, and if any project has highlighted the need for a better camera for me, it's this one.

"There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.”

― St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Sludge-The Conciliarchy of Cephvn (Royalists)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 11:21:49 AM »
Very nice! Saw the backstory on facebook, very cool.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 12:24:04 PM »
Great stuff - always good to see another Sludge force.

I really like the style you have gone with, not seen tricorns for sludge yet, and they work great!

I’d perhaps suggest highlighting the bases a little more - its hard with dark muddy bases, I used them a lot for me WWI troops, to not end up with it all looking a bit dark.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 07:35:09 PM »
I agree on base highlights completely. With the dark uniforms and the mud-coloured cloaks the models sort of sink into the bases too much.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 07:43:20 PM »
Good Stuff. I have no room for another project, but I find sludge very appealing.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 10:56:22 PM »
Well obviously you need to drop se other project and build the Sludge community!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 11:24:02 PM »
Very cool - those crossbowmen on mechanical stilts and the small cannon mounted on the back of the enormous crocodile inject (to my mind at least) a little bit of welcome whimsy to the muddy Sludge grimness.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 10:25:09 AM »
Very cool - those crossbowmen on mechanical stilts and the small cannon mounted on the back of the enormous crocodile inject (to my mind at least) a little bit of welcome whimsy to the muddy Sludge grimness.

I really appreciate that! I feel like they drag the game a little more in the Turnip28 direction without going too far in.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 04:49:52 AM »
Very cool, I tracked down your post on FB. You should add the background here.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 11:52:01 AM »
Very cool, I tracked down your post on FB. You should add the background here.  :D

Why not?

"The Conciliarchy of Cephvn is ruled by the Serene Merchant Council, each the ruler of a Deme (originally a neighborhood of Cephvn but now more akin to colonia administered from the city centre). The council of demarchs funds an arcanists guild that builds music boxes which attract the great sky whales, called ceteans, towards the city's ark fleets. The Conciliarchy ships then attack, their knights boarding the enormous beasts as though they were rival ships to harvest their oil, ambergris, and meat. While they are aggressively expanding, the citizenry of Cephvn is rapidly becoming divided between the old Church of the Great Tree and the new arcanist-run Cult of the Song, who replaced Yggdrasil as the life-giving force in the world with the majesty of the cetean shoals. Cephvn regiments can be distinguished by their choice of instrument: Churchmen march to the steady beat of the tree, while Songers prefer the sonorous trumpet.
Cephvn itself is a chilly, windy swamp of a plane. Once a grand city, it is now slowly sinking into the mire of its surface. The nobility chooses to ignore this fact, building opulently upwards as the poor scramble to find their way into a job in the Merchant Guard or a whaling ark. Due to its marshy surrounding, Cephvn eschews cavalry and traditional gun carriages that would sink into the mud in favor of howdah-mounted cannons on the backs of Grand Crocodilians. Similarly, jaegers (Iztari) roam about on stilts to avoid sinking into the mire, scouting the fens for threats to the city.
Generals who have proven their skill in repelling invaders are called Fen Grafs (or Fen Counts in the city's parlance). Line infantry who sign a contract to fight in a Fen Graf’s Merchant Guard are issued a string of ten chits kept on their musket’s sling. For each battle they survive, one is removed. When the tenth is removed they are given privileges like the option of knightly training, induction into the Iztari, or arcanist training. The luckiest get to guard a merchant lord’s home.
Sorcery is explicitly outlawed in the city and its colonia. Sorcerers are seen as living embodiments of the Decay Sky, the prophesied sky that holds only dead ceteans."

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 12:47:11 PM »
Marvelous!  lol

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 06:29:24 PM »
Very cool back ground!