Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:00:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lightyear Armadillo repurposed - now also with trucks...  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Lightyear Armadillo repurposed - now also with trucks...
« on: November 30, 2022, 11:21:11 PM »
So a weekend ago, I went to Dutch Comicon for the first time, with a bunch of mates. Loads of cosplayers, loads of merchandise, loads of fun. And at one stand , I found a grey imported Lightyear Armadillo toy, which I picked up after hesitating only a very short time. I've seen several people here on the LAF posting these, but they're only sold at Target in the US, so near impossible to get one over here in the Old World.

I bought it (at a very fair price too) based solely on the testimony of those LAFers lucky anough to get themselves one, and I'm glad I did.

In fact, this model is just about perfect for tabletop gaming, and the final few shots will prove it too. Also, I had such fun painting it, I actually find myself wanting to paint another one!

It only took one weekend to complete, all in all about 10 hours of work I reckon, and all of it enjoyable.

The ship barely required any prep work: just the filling of two small screw holes in the back/bottom and the closing off of a couple of holes in the bottom with some plasticard. I do regret not filing off the disclaimer texts on the bottom, but at that time, and moving at speed, I reckoned it would delay my progress and I really wanted to finish it in one weekend.

The only other things I did was glueing all the moving parts (bar the rear hatch) in place and adding a bit of mesh and trim on the inside of the rear hatch, as it only was a textured plastic tray at that point.

For the painting, I found a perfect colour match in an old spray can of acrylic brown, as I really liked the rust brown colour of the plastic. But I really wanted to paint over it, as unpainted plastic will always keep some trace of translucence; barely noticeable, but still hinting at the origin of the material. But before the brown, I first generously sprayed the inside of the cargo hold with black.

Then it was a case of a light drybrush with a lighter brown and the placement of the waterslide transfers.

For those who want to know; most of the decals came from a sheet belonging to a 1/48 German Fiat G.91 and the serial number comes from a 1/48 F-14. And that's it. I kept its alignment/origin/universe as vanilla as possible. It's just a ubiquitous small transport of which there are thousands on every planet (and in every universe). It could belong to a DWAN subsidiary, could be a backwater pattern of Arvus Lighter, a Correllian shuttlecraft or even a Federation workhorse!

I then gave it a pinwash of black and brown oil paints and a quick varnish. And on top of that, the highlighting, detailing and weathering went on.

I tried to logically place the chipping effects, but for some reason, the entire craft pretty soon was scratched and worn, even though I kept the heaviest damage to the lower/underside of the ship and around the cockpit.

Finally some details in the form of lights, buttons and wiring and the last step was adding some soot effects around the big atmospheric engines at the back, and it was done!

So, finally, here are some pictures of it in action, dropping off some DWAN troopers on a desert planet...

All in all, I'm really chuffed with how this little ship turned out; I really like it, and should I find myself in the position to get another one (even though I really don't need even more space ships ::) ), I probably will; it's that useful as a gaming and/or terrain piece... :)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 11:37:51 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Lightyear Armadillo repurposed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 11:53:57 PM »
Looks great  8)

Two is always better than one  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 12:41:35 AM »
Looking good mate! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Paulonious

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 01:52:54 AM »
That turned out great. Nice job.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 03:08:30 AM »
Exceptional results!  I’m really impressed.

Dan

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 06:10:41 AM »
That’s fantastic! I wish they had released it over here! Such a cool ship!

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 09:03:37 AM »
Really good. I particularly like the fading blue band. I bought some of the fighters and the Zurg fighter, which I think makes a great shuttle for aliens in particular. I’d like to see you try one of the Zurg motherships. I’ve seen them for £20...

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 10:14:30 AM »
Looks fantastic, that chipped blue is just great.

I swear that movie had a bigger impact on wargaming through merchandizing than the actual movie did on anything.

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 10:34:34 AM »
B&M in the UK has the range. I bought the smaller ship, as I felt there was something off with the larger one.

However, I then saw the larger one with the side doors closed and it looked so much better that I bought it as well :D

I also picked up one of the fighters and even a couple of the Robots, which are a nice size for 28mm.

Very useful range if you can find it.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 11:56:40 AM »
Cracking job. I too lament the lack of Armadillo-ness in the UK.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 01:11:30 PM »
I picked up the Armadillo in B&M in central Scotland at the start of November (self treat after someone had just poked two holes in my arm).

I don't see them in their online store just now, but if you have one locally, it's worth a look. It was £30, down from £35

I got the Zurg fighter and XL-7 models in August from the same store

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 04:09:16 PM »
Thanks all; much appreciated :)

@ zemjw: looks like I lucked out then; I bought mine at the convention for a mere €20,-!

And of course I went ahead and took a look see to find if I could locate another one, but continental Europe seems to have been left out on the Armadillo front; none to be found  :(

However, I did find most of the other vehicles in the Lightspeed line of Buzz Lightyear toys, and there are some absolute tabletop gems in there! I did see the Zurg Mothership, but it goes for upwards of €80,-, which I find too steep. Also; that monster is over 50cm long!

I do like the Zurg fighter though; I might have a go at one of those at some point.

But what really set me off was this very interesting vehicle:  8)

I can see this being used in a whole range of scifi games, and now I want one. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be out just yet. But I can wait...  >:D

You're right YPU: this range of toys will have more impact than the entire movie itself!  lol

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 04:54:44 PM »
Alackaday, the photo links are broken for me and I can't see the lovely toy.

But congrats on scoring one!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 10:08:10 PM »
The Armadillo was widely available here in Spain, albeit exclusively through a large national department store chain.
I've just about given up on that truck though. I'd like a couple but as the movie was abit of an economic flop, I doubt they'll see rekease this late in the day.
You've done great work on your armadillo, it looks fantastic, especially the cockpit. Well done.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 11:49:07 PM »
The larger Armadillo for 13cm figures seems to have been widely available in the UK, and I saw it myself in B and Ms.

Incidentally The Entertainer are selling it for £15:

https://www.thetoyshop.com/baby-pre-school/4-5-years/Disney-Pixar-Lightyear-Armadillo-Vehicle/p/556877

It's the Armadillo in the Hyperspeed range for small figures that never seemed to appear here in the UK.