Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ordo Xenos - Inquisitor & Her Retinue - A Warhammer 40K Kitbash Project  (Read 11242 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Re: Ordo Xenos - Inquisitor & Her Retinue - A Warhammer 40K Kitbash Project
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2023, 10:45:52 AM »
I am very impressed with your kitbash-skills. Very cool stuff. Can't wait to see the last two.

I'm really liking these last few models in particular - from the Priest down. Small changes and subtle reposing has an outsized impact on adding character and individual personality to these figures.  :)

Those are some seamless kitbashes. The finished products look, in the nicest way, like you haven't done anything to them at all - as though they came out the box as intended. I particularly like that you've managed to make an eclectic set of models look coherent, as though they're part of the same team with the same function. Nice work. Can't wait to see things painted!

Thank you all for your kind words! When I set out to Kitbash/Convert I always try my upmost to achieve a 'natural' pose and an organic as possible 'bash' so the miniatures do look like more conventional off the sprue builds.
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2023, 10:55:57 AM »
OK people, here's retinue member number 9! A Null Maiden/Sister of Silence influenced by the artwork of John Blanche!

The base model is a Sisters of Battle Novitiates, I gently scraped away the iconography from her torso so her clothing was plain. The arms were taken from the Sisters of Silence kit, along with the Flamer, the Sword is from a Sisters of Battle kit. The Promethium cansiter on her back is from the Kill Team Navy Breachers kit. The face is made from Greenstuff - I still need to do a little more work, as the left side needs more attention where the face meets the hood.

Question to the readers - the tube connecting the cannister to the flamer is it too thick?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2023, 11:51:23 AM »
Question to the readers - the tube connecting the cannister to the flamer is it too thick?

Yes, it is, sorry.  :? I think half the diameter would look better. I would also remove the canister currently on the flamer, and add it to the backback instead - the hose can then connect to the weapon where the canister was, and the whole thing will look more coherent/functional that way.

For the base model, I'm surprised you don't go for something a bit more, ah, risqué to better capture the style of the artwork you posted? It might need some fairly serious reposing, but the assassin from the Rogue Trader crew I think you have could work well maybe? Another option might be to combine parts form the new Sororitas kits with some Dark Eldar Wych parts perhaps? Not a criticism of the current figure you've used by the way, more just my musing out loud! :)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2023, 12:34:04 PM »
Yes, it is, sorry.  :? I think half the diameter would look better. I would also remove the canister currently on the flamer, and add it to the backback instead - the hose can then connect to the weapon where the canister was, and the whole thing will look more coherent/functional that way.

Nice idea, I'll look to implement it.

For the base model, I'm surprised you don't go for something a bit more, ah, risqué to better capture the style of the artwork you posted? It might need some fairly serious reposing, but the assassin from the Rogue Trader crew I think you have could work well maybe? Another option might be to combine parts form the new Sororitas kits with some Dark Eldar Wych parts perhaps? Not a criticism of the current figure you've used by the way, more just my musing out loud! :)

I have used one of the Imperial Assassin models from the Elucidian Starstrider kit for the Arbites so aside from repetition the pose would require quite some work to reposition into a standing model as the original has an up raised arm and one leg is bent whilst resting on a rock. I also started this build by using a Dark Elf Witch Elf but again, repositioning was a big task as they are all in a leaping pose, Dark Eldar Wyches are not best suited as they are also in a running pose plus either half armoured or armoured so that's why I went for the Novitiate as she had two of the components fron the art that being a Hood and elongated loin cloth. Sadly there's not much out there that is full skinsuit.

Thanks for your comments, I value this kind of discussion and ideation!!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2023, 01:19:34 PM »
I have used one of the Imperial Assassin models from the Elucidian Starstrider kit for the Arbites so aside from repetition the pose would require quite some work to reposition into a standing model as the original has an up raised arm and one leg is bent whilst resting on a rock.
Ah, of course you did, sorry. And yes, the re-pose would be significant unfortunately.

I also started this build by using a Dark Elf Witch Elf but again, repositioning was a big task as they are all in a leaping pose, Dark Eldar Wyches are not best suited as they are also in a running pose plus either half armoured or armoured
Although there are some standing ones, I agree on the armour... Lot of work to make a corresponding left leg.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2023, 08:49:38 PM »
Hello once again!

Based upon some great feedback I made the adjustment to the Sister of Silence Flamer tube and also fixed up some gaps etc around her face

Coming very soon will be the Inquisitor herself!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2023, 11:40:31 PM »
Looks much better IMO - well done!  :)

I can't quite see what you've done the back tank, but it looks like you cleaned it up?

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2023, 05:26:06 PM »
Just catching up on this thread - some more lovely conversions (that rework on the flamer fuel pipe has paid off handsomely).
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 10
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2023, 07:05:53 PM »
God, that face is amazing :o

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2023, 12:07:14 AM »

Yeah, I hadn't really appreciated that that was sculpted. Stellar work. I think the changes to the flamer make a big difference.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2023, 11:50:28 AM »
Looks much better IMO - well done!  :)

I can't quite see what you've done the back tank, but it looks like you cleaned it up?

Indeed, as it was taken from the Navy Breachers Kill Team kit, I had to scrap off the Navy insignia.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2023, 11:51:23 AM »
Just catching up on this thread - some more lovely conversions (that rework on the flamer fuel pipe has paid off handsomely).

Yeah, I hadn't really appreciated that that was sculpted. Stellar work. I think the changes to the flamer make a big difference.

Thank you for your kind words!

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2023, 12:20:06 PM »
The final member of the retinue, is the Inquisitor herself! I wanted her stand out and look befitting of her rank, so I went looking for some inspirational pictures and found an older thread on Reddit that was a fan made art of an Inquisitor in Power Armour and the idea was born!

The base for the model isn't a GW one, I purchased a set of 5 resin 'Female Space Marines' from a chap I know over on Instagram (if anyone is interested let me know and I can pass on the IG Account) and the body was just perfect for this 'bash'. I took the arms from the Horus Heresy MK VI kit as they are smaller than the Primus ones and fit nicely with the resin body. Her powerfist is from the new Cadian Shocktroopers Command kit. The sword and scabbard are from a Sisters Of Battle kit and the pauldrons are from a Sisters of Silence kit. Height wise, she's slightly shorter than a Phobos.

So, with this model, the retinue is finished! I'll go back and do some clean up on mould lines, some minor gap fills etc ahead of painting.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2023, 12:49:12 PM »
Nice kitbash! :)
Did you sculpt the head yourself, or is it based off another model?
As for pose, I think the fist could be down and out a little more, and sword arm could come up a touch - both of these would strengthen the pose and give the model a more confident look.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2023, 11:22:19 AM »
Great looking conversions! I agree with Major_Gilbear about the powerfist arm, but the shoulder pads might limit the positioning possibilities.