Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:55:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ordo Xenos - Inquisitor & Her Retinue - A Warhammer 40K Kitbash Project  (Read 10886 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Hello fellow hobbyists!

I've been contemplating for a little while what to do with my pile of 40K sprues and bits that I've collected over the years. Whilst I was painting my Stargrave crew, I discovered the Eisenhorn books on Audible and a project was born! I'm quite intrigued by the 'other' part of the 40K Universe, that being the non Codex Armies, I really like the more unusual or less covered aspects, so with that in mind I've begun to formulate a plan for an Inquisitor from the Ordo Xenos and her retinue which, at present is going to 9 plus her, 10 models in total. I've not settled 100% on the actual mix, but there will certainly be a Blackshield Deathwatch Marine, a Pysker, a Blank, a Null Maiden, perhaps an Assassin and then 4 more. I've started by looking at inspiration pictures as follows:

The pictures are for mood and tonality, I wont be making like for like models  :D

Stay tuned for the Kitbashing project!

PS, I'm always interested in sources for materials, such as pictures, books etc so please feel to suggest any you may be of relevance throughout this journey.
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Ordo Xenos - Inquisitor & Her Retinue - A Warhammer 40K Kitbash Project
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 07:50:19 PM »
Another King Arthur project - will be checking in regularly for this.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 09:57:15 AM »
Hello fellow hobbyists!

First update, I've begun work on the first kitbash/conversion; for the first model I selected an interpritation of the mace weilding Arbites that will be accompanied by her 'trusty' Cyber Mastiff hound!

I went through 2 different models to begin with, firstly I looked at using a female Eldar Guardian but the upper body, due to the armour padding and back pack was too bulky, then I switched to a Battle Sister, however, once again, the upper part, due to the armour and neck guard was too bulky. Then I remembered that the Elucidian Starstriders kit includes a Death Cult Assassin and the bodysuit she's wearing was perfect! I begun by repositioning the left arm to point downwards which had a nice bonus in that the mace could now rest across her thigh. I also repositioned her right hand by 90 degree so it looked like it was gripping the shield. I carefully removed the original masked face and will replace it with the head of the Forge World Necromunda Scrutina model; the shield is taken from the Necromunda Enforcers kit. In hindsight, the mace top is too big, so I will replace it with a smaller option so it looks more like the artwork. I had first looked at an old (1999!!) flail head from a Skeleton Warrior, too big, then I looked at the mace head from a Chainrasp but still still too big. The Mace shaft is made from a 1.2mm thick brass rod - it will be cut down further and repositioned so it looks balanced and usable in her hand.

The Cyber Mastiff will be a straight build, no need for tinkering as the one from the Forge World Necromunda Scrutina set is perfect.

Post photo's - the neck is a few mm too long, so I'll file it down, I'm not happy with the shield handle, so I will remove it from her hand, I'm looking at some form of circular magnetic/grav system that her hand connects to, so it looks more organic, the grip moves with her. As the model is very slim and with the mace and shield loaded on her right side and also covering her lower back, space is limited for 'extra's' such as ammo packs, grenades and side arm, one suggestion is to strap the side arm to the inside of the shield, I can imagine this scenario, dropping her mace, crouching behind the shield for cover and drawing the pistol. I may add the ammo packs/grenades to the Mastiff - thought?

Comments/critism welcome.

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 02:28:29 PM »
It's a good idea you have for your arbites. Kitbash/conversion is always very fun, even if sometimes, it turns into a nightmare!  :)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 02:49:16 PM »
It's a good idea you have for your arbites. Kitbash/conversion is always very fun, even if sometimes, it turns into a nightmare!  :)

Oh, you are very correct Sir!! The vision I had in my head originally with using the Eldar Guardian evaporated quite rapidly  :D If it was just a straight up Kit Bash it's would've been OK but add in the mix using an art work as a reference, you have another level of pressure  lol
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 02:54:32 PM by King Arthur »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 11:51:59 AM »
What a great project, and it looks like you've made a good start! Another possible source of suitable Arbites parts to consider if you need more are the two plastic Van Saar kits - if you shave down a few details, and swap heads and weapons, what you're left with looks pretty close to the style of armour+bodysuit in the artwork you've posted. The Van Saar separate weapons sprue also has some great-looking power mauls on it too.

One thing to note:

I've not settled 100% on the actual mix, but there will certainly be a Blackshield Deathwatch Marine, a Pysker, a Blank, a Null Maiden, perhaps an Assassin and then 4 more.

Null Maidens are all blanks - that's a specific trait they recruit for, and it's what enables them to hunt psykers.  :)

Another comment on doing an Ordo Xenos warband is that it can be a great excuse to include something like an Eldar scout or a Kroot bounty hunter for example. However, I suspect that if you do have these in a warband, then also having the DW marine as well could be problematic from a background point of view. I suppose that choosing between Marines and aliens would be the difference between an orthodox and a radical Xenos Inquisitor though? :)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 01:23:18 PM »
Wow. Great modelling there.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 09:53:05 AM »
What a great project, and it looks like you've made a good start! Another possible source of suitable Arbites parts to consider if you need more are the two plastic Van Saar kits - if you shave down a few details, and swap heads and weapons, what you're left with looks pretty close to the style of armour+bodysuit in the artwork you've posted. The Van Saar separate weapons sprue also has some great-looking power mauls on it too.

One thing to note:

Null Maidens are all blanks - that's a specific trait they recruit for, and it's what enables them to hunt psykers.  :)

Thanks for your insights, much appreciated!

On the points you make above, I had looked at my Van Saar kits but the reason to not choose them was the Boots - too bulky for the look I wanted, which is why I settled upon the Death Cult Assassin.

Regarding the 'Blank' & Null Maiden inclusion, I should have made that clearer, as you mentioned, 'Blank' being the operative word here. For the 'Blank' I wanted a former civilian member of the Inquisitors staff, much like Bequin was to Eisenhorn and the the Null Maiden being drawn from the professional 'class' plus I wanted an excuse to use the Blanche imagery as inspo  :D

I had intially planned an Eldar scout based upon the Black Fotress model but in the end settled upon a BW Marine. I will leave the scout for my future Rogue Trader Retinue project  ;)

Thanks again for your comments, highly appreciated!

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
Looking good.  You could keep her side arm mounted on her left hip no?  Looks to be space there - either strapped to her thigh or holstered on a belt

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 09:28:48 AM »
Looking good.  You could keep her side arm mounted on her left hip no?  Looks to be space there - either strapped to her thigh or holstered on a belt

I had tried, but all of the holstered pistols I have are Right Handed so putting those on the left thigh wouldn't be the best organically. I did find a solution though! I removed her grenade from her right side belt and then replaced it with a Holstered Pistol I carefully removed from a Starstrider trooper. You'll see it in the pics that will come soon.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 12:18:33 PM »
Hello once again!

Here's the kitbash/conversion is a state of completeness, I can't call it finished yet as I've noticed via the photo's that her left arm at the top, there's a bit of filling work now required it's slightly pulled away from the shoulder during the fitting of the mace.

I had a dilema previously previouly in that the holstered pistols I had were all too large and were right side attachments. Thankfully a pistol from a Starstrider Voidsman was a good size, so I carefully removed it from that model, then removed the grenade from the now Arbites model and attached the holster as follows:

Here's shots from several angles now:

You'll notice that the mace changed in the final version against the origila pictures I posted. I trimmed the brass rod down so the mace looked like it could be used one handed, I then added a smaller head which is a steel ball bearing and then I added the spikes which came from an AoS Chainrasp weapon! I made the handle a bit more detailed too, as it's a state issued weapon, I felt it needed a grip etc to give it that 'proefessional' vibe.

Aside from fixing the upper left arm, I'll shave off mold lines as best I can can and tidy up the putty work.

Next up is an Imperial Iterator based upon the Janus Draik model from Blackstone Fortress.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 03:04:53 PM »
Lovely idea for a conversion (and warband!), and this looks good so far. Inq28 stuff is so much fun these days, isn't it?

One small hopefully constructive point - her neck looks a little long? It might just be the photo, and it is fine in real life. If so, ignore me!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 09:22:30 PM »
That's a very nice conversion that captures the feel of the original perfectly, and an interesting planned line up; I look forward to whatever comes next.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 05:11:56 AM »
A very promising start. I’m looking forward to seeing more!