Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: The Quatermass Run, Part 7  (Read 26910 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Return to Zona Albion - new campaign: The Quatermass Run
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2023, 10:29:45 PM »
All aboard...! Who's riding shotgun?  lol Looking forward to the report. Doing a little post-apoc gaming myself tonight...  :-*

Mike Demana

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
In preparation for my upcoming Quatermass Run campaign, I needed a few more items for my games:

Large Mutant:
This is a slightly converted Reaper Miniatures clay golem. I think it has the right look for a big and nasty mutated human

Landrover:
This campaign requires my stalkers to have some suitable transport. The vehicle is a Corgi diecast model, suitably repainted an aged.

Service Station:

The first scenario of the campaign features a service station.  The building is a 1950s Kleeware Littletown kit (similar era and concept to the more well known Bachmann Plasticville buildings) in nominally O Gauge (1/43) scale. I added new signage, an internal wall and flooring, as well as a bit of texturing on the walls to improve the look of the exterior of the building. The 1950s advertising signs and petrol pumps are 1/43 scale and were found on eBay (the pumps supplied with the kit are horrible and went straight into the bin).
Although you can probably get cheaper buildings in MDF, what attracted me to this one was the bowed shop entrance. Very mid-20th century British!

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
The Quatermass background story sounds good, giving plausible reasons for trips into the Zone although I'd be a bit worried about the reliability of the Landrover after all these years unused. Mind you I ran a 1972 Perkins diesel engine in an old boat until recently and it never missed a beat. Old and simple is a good combination.

The garage is a nice set, I was looking at the Plasticraft trailer park set yesterday but could only find it for sale in America, postage was more than the set.  :?

Looking forward to the continuation of Fletchers exploits.
Cheers

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
That Landie and the gas station both look good.  And I like the large mutant.  I have a couple trolls in my D&D mini collection I think will do the trick for my large mutants...if I use mutants.  My Zone ain't gone radioactive yet...it has other hazards...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Looking forward to reading about the Quatermass missions. Great stuff!   :-*   :-*

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: The Quatermass Run, Part 1 - PICTURE HEAVY
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2023, 06:28:06 PM »
The Quatermass Run - Part 1: Ticket to Ride

This scenario is a variant of one from the Black Dawn campaign. The game was run at TL2 with a 12k team (Fletcher and Lukewarm were Veterans, the other three were Hardened). As usual, details of the game can be found in the photo captions.

Despite the Landrover being stuck in low gear, they had made it to the service station at Staggered Cross in good time. Ingrid parked the landy on the forecourt of the service station and Fletcher's crew scanned the buildings for signs of trouble. All quiet, so far so good.

Next to the delapidated service station building stood an American style diner and to the rear of these stood a couple of garage buildings, one of which contained the fuel they were looking for. Although the landy provided them with a means of getting about the Zone, Fletcher was concerned that the sound of its engine would alert hostiles. Best they moved quickly to get the fuel and head for the first instrument.

Game setup. The stalkers start on the service station forecourt.

The crew could barely see any distance through the thick mist (just my luck to pull a Zone Event card in the first turn). Lukewarm hefted his SLR and powered up his starlight sight. Scanning the perimeter he caught sight of moving creatures. Then the crew heard them, all around; a mix of barking dogs, shrieking hobgoblins and the unearthly neighing of mutated moorland ponies. They better move fast to secure the fuel.

Fletcher, Ingrid and Heslop headed for the garage building containing the fuel. Across the perimeter wall they saw a pair mutated moorland ponies rapidly advancing on them. Fletcher opened-up with his Sterling and 9mm hot load ammunition tore through the ponies. As Fletcher's magazine emptied his gun jammed (critical failure roll).

The Hobgoblins advanced to the treeline across the road from the forecourt. Unfortunately for them Godber and Lukewarm were waiting for them with their SLRs. Godber killed one, while Lukewarm got a second and pinned a third.

More hostiles arrived on the perimeter, in the form of another pack of dogs, a horde of revenants and a particularly nasty looking mutant. Things were going to get messy.

Using his starlight sight, Lukewarm took down two of the first pack of dogs. He then turned and gave his full attention to the hobgoblins, killing all of them (2 actions worth of battle rifle fire including a critical hit, for a total of 5 lethal hits). With no targets remaining that could be seen in the mist, Godber went on alert.

A lot of growling heralded the first pack of dogs charging across the forecourt. However, Godber was ready. He leveled his SLR and let off two shots for a hit and a critical hit. With his free action he let off a couple more rounds, giving him a total of two kills and a pin.

Over at the garage, Ingrid went inside and recovered the jerrycan, while Fletcher and Heslop provided cover.

Heslop opened fire on the Revenants, killing one with his shotgun but also getting a jam (critical failure) so had to waste time clearing it. While he was sorting that out Fletcher encouraged Ingrid to bring the fuel out (transferred action using his Leader skill). He then went on alert.

Just as the stalkers were getting confident things went pear-shaped. More hostiles arrived in the form of another mutant and two groups of four bandits (I rate my bandits as Hardened, so they can be particularly dangerous).

Time to change plan. While Ingrid lugged the jerrycan to the Landrover, Fletcher and Heslop covered her back. The revenants were slow and could be ignored. However, the mutant was another matter (2 actions, so not to be ignored). Heslop moved to were he could get a shot at the mutant and let rip with his shotgun. Two shots missed but one hit. However, the mutant kept on coming. Jeez it was tough. Fletcher then moved up and finished off the mutant with a burst of 9mm hot load from his Sterling. Once again his gun jammed. Fletcher was going to have to have serious words with Camp Tony about the hot loads he sold him.

The second pack of dogs had now reached the treeline, but Godber was waiting for them. The dogs were met by a hail of 7.62mm, that tore through the trees and undergrowth. Four hits including a critical, which produced two more hits, taking out the entire pack.

Not to be outdone, Lukewarm watched the first group of bandits approach through the mist. They couldn't see him but, with his starlight sight, he could see them all. He opened fire. Four hits including a critical, that gave him another hit and a jam. Although the intervening cover foiled two hits, three of the bandits still met their maker.

Meanwhile the second group of bandits advanced to the cover of the treeline and a dry stone wall. As they took up their positions the bandit on the left opened fire on Godber, scoring two hits with his SMG. Fortunately for Godber his flak jacket stopped the SMG rounds.

To their surprise, another mutant bounded round the corner of the garage building next to Fletcher and Heslop. This one was once a  ... sheep! It immediately charged Heslop, Fortunatly Heslop had the presence to stand as it hit him. He emptied his shotgun into the mutant, killing it, However, the dying mutant knocked him to the ground (Pin result). To add insult to injury, Heslop's last shot was a critical failure (a second Pin).

More hostiles arrived, in the form of a pack of Hobgoblins and more Revenants (I drew a Nothing of Interest card for the third hostiles arrival). The stalkers were now facing two groups of revenants and pack of hobgoblins, with the prospect of more hostiles still to arrive. Time for an exit plan.

Fletcher moved onto the forecourt. The surviving dog from the first pack had stopped cowering by the service station garage doors(shaken off its Pin) and now growled menacingly at him. He cut the dog's growl short with a burst from his SMG.

Across the road Fletcher could make out one of the bandits in the treeline. Another burst of 9mm hot load, another kill.

Godber took out the bandit on the other end of the treeline. That left two more bandits behind the wall. They thought they were safe in the mist, but hadn't counted on Lukewarm. His starlight sight picked them out easily and he got a hit and a critical hit, followed by two more hits. Dry stone walls do not provide much cover against 7.62mm NATO ammunition!

Just as it looked like the stalkers should get a clear run out of the area, another unwelcome surprise faced them. The survivor of the first bandit group cut down by Lukewarm had now worked his way behind the service station. Poking his shotgun around the corner of the building, he opened fire at Fletcher, the nearest target on the forecourt. One of the shells hit and wounded Fletcher.

Things were looking decidedly dodgy. Fletcher had taken a hit and the revenants and hobgoblins were approaching and threatening to cut the stalkers off. They could also hear more approaching hostiles further out into the mist.

Standing next to the landy, Ingrid quickly leveled her SMG at the bandit that shot Fletcher. Four hits including a critical sorted the bandit out. She then got into the Landrover and (using her free action) tossed the starting handle to Lukewarm standing in front of the landy.

Lukewarm turned the starting handle and the Landrover engine spluttered into life. He then ran to Fletcher and applied a med-kit.

Godber and Heslop clambered into the landy and Fletcher told to Lukewarm to get in too (transfer of action using Leader skill). Fletcher then climbed into the back, banged on the cab roof and shouted to Ingrid to go. She didn't need any further encouragement.

Shouting to everyone to hang on, Ingrid reversed the Landrover to clear the forecourt's pumps, then spun it towards the exit as hostiles approached the forecourt from all sides. However, the Zone had one last surprise.

Charging out from behind the treeline, a mutant leapt at the manoeuvring Landrover. Its frenzied attack ripped the landy's bonnet off. Coolant spurted out as a hose came free.

Leaning out from the back of the Landrover, Fletcher emptied his last magazine of 9mm hot load into the mutant, which exploded into a bloody mess. Ingrid gunned the engine and they were out of there.

Epilogue:

Well that was a bit of a rollercoaster ride. The stalkers secured the fuel and racked up a lot of kills. However, both Fletcher and Ingrid used up all their hot load ammunition. Fletcher, Heslop and Godber also had close calls.

Hiding up in the shelter of a ruined farmhouse, Ingrid did the best she could to repair the damage to the landy's engine. Meanwhile Fletcher, Heslop and Godber set to patching their wounds and repairing their flak jackets.

The stars of the show had to be Lukewarm and Godber calmly standing on the forecourt and taking out all comers before they could get close or, in Lukewarm's case, before they could even see the stalkers in the mist.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2023, 06:38:25 AM »
 Excellent report and pics as usual.

This crew are doing very well.

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2023, 08:24:46 AM »
Excellent description, and busy adventure.  Well done.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2023, 08:25:58 AM »
Another great game! Loving it.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2023, 01:58:29 PM »
Great report!  Sounds like the theme of the day was "Body Armor and Hot Loads"... :D 

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2023, 02:59:49 PM »
Great report!  Sounds like the theme of the day was "Body Armor and Hot Loads"... :D
Unfortunately the crew went straight into the next scenario, without the chance to revisit the stalls. So no resupply of hot loads for the time being. Report on what they did next coming shortly.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2023, 05:11:10 PM »
Your guys made mincemeat of the inhabitants of the zone, I lost count of the number of separate groups they came across and laid them low. They're rocking and rolling through the English countryside, although maybe running low on hot loads and a jerrycan of fuel isn't going to get them far either.

Great action packed report and as I said to Dan it's really nice to read some good AAR's on here, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Table layout is top quality, the diner and garage stand out but it's all good.
Cheers

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2023, 02:50:31 PM »
Cracking report, great looking game.   :-*

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2023, 05:13:23 PM »
Your guys made mincemeat of the inhabitants of the zone, I lost count of the number of separate groups they came across and laid them low.
Thanks. The trick is to have a plan and stick to it. Also don't get distracted by the possibility of more salvage unless you have secured your objective and made sure you have enough turns (plus an extra one in hand for unforeseen events) to get out safely. This is particularly the case for slower team members with less actions (use your leader's Leader skill to donate actions to keep the slower members moving). It also helps to position one or two team members with good shooting skills on Alert, such that they can cover the rest of the crew and deal with unforseen nasties.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2023, 07:06:28 PM »
I’m enjoying following  your project 8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)