Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:36:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: The Quatermass Run, Part 7  (Read 26663 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Return to Zona Albion - Zone Hazard: Phantoms
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2023, 10:51:28 PM »
Wowsa! I love those spirits!! Very spooky...  :o

Mike Demana

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: Return to Zona Albion - Zone Hazard: Phantoms
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »
Of course I like this whole thread. Never imagined GW figs in a ZA game but that totally works. 

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Return to Zona Albion - Zona Albion game at Beachhead show, 11/12 Feb 2023
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2023, 10:25:15 AM »
For any southern UK based members on this group, I'll be running my Zona Albion game at the Beachhead show in Bournemouth on 11th/12th February

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:08:26 PM by Bullshott »
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2023, 12:37:38 PM »
For any southern UK based members on this group, I'll be running my Zona Albion game at the Beachhead show in Bournemouth on 11th/12th February

If I was still in the UK I'd have been there! Take lots of photos please :D
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2023, 02:21:17 AM »
Good luck with the game -- I am sure it will be amazing. Would love to see a battle report...

Mike Demana

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Return to Zona Albion - Royal Mail van completed
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2023, 01:21:39 PM »
Another vehicle completed, this time a Royal Mail Ford Popular van. I think the post may be arriving a bit late!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Return to Zona Albion - Royal Mail van completed
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2023, 01:41:01 PM »
Loving it! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: Collecting the Post
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2023, 04:13:29 PM »
This solo/co-op scenario works as a good introduction to the game or (in my case) a chance to refresh my memory of the rules and see how Zona Alfa works in the 1970s, without luxuries like red dot sights.

Collecting the Post

'Windy' Miller died badly. Somehow he managed to make it to the crawlway under the fence, which was where Fletcher found him.

Lying in his bed, Miller bade Fletcher to come closer so that he could hear his words. "Listen Fletch," rasped Miller "everything here goes to the missus, that's all sorted in my will. She's well taken care of. But I do have a small stash in the Zone. You got me home, so it's yours for the taking. You know the pillar box by the junction in Grimdale? Have a look in the box. I've left some stuff in there. Hurry up mind you, before someone else has a look-see in it." Miller was now struggling for breath and getting incoherent, so Fletcher called his wife into the room. It wouldn't be long now. Best to let them have their last moments together.

As he left Miller's house, Fletcher thought about the stash. Grimdale was near the edge of the zone and generally avoided by stalkers. Close enough to the fence that any good pickings had be taken long ago. Also not far enough into the Zone for really juicy anomalies and artifacts. A good out of the way place to secrete stuff, yet close enough to the fence to get in and out quickly. "Should get back for tea time" thought Fletcher
This is a starter game, with low level encounters and none of the really nasty cr@p the Zone can throw at you.

Board layout

Placing two crew members on Alert was a good idea. Fletcher's men seemed to have surprised a group of bandits having a smoke break. Despite the cover presented by the car, Fletcher's SMG plus two battle rifles placed on Alert managed to take out the entire group. A good start

A bolt toss towards the pillar box alerted a mutant. Once again, placing 'Scot' McEwan with his SLR (battle rifle) on Alert worked nicely.

'Bunny' Warren the scrounger tossed a bolt at the mail van, waking up a group of hobgoblins, which appeared the wrong side of the hedge. English hedges are tall and impassable and neither Bunny or Lukewarm the medic could target the greenskins. However, on the plus side, the greenskins would have to move around the hedge to get at the stalkers. As the greenskins climbed over the stile two of them were dropped with 7.62mm rounds from Scot's SLR. The following turn they were quickly finished off.

A bolt toss towards the farmhouse alerted a pack of wild dogs.

Nothing a SLR and SMG can't handle

The penultimate turn saw Scot run to search the farmhouse, while Fletcher used his Leader skill to encourage Bunny and Lukewarm to move towards the team's start point.

Any trip into the Zone where you get out unscathed is a good day, especially if you can get home in time for a cuppa and a slice of Mrs Fletcher's excellent fruit cake.

I ran the game with a new 10K team (2 veterans, 2 regulars) at Threat Level 1. The game went well. I didn't make any major mistakes with the rules and my crew got out unscathed with 1950 loot, a med-kit and 25 advance points. A couple of tweaks to my setting-specific rules and I'm ready for the next game.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 04:46:55 PM by Bullshott »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2023, 04:43:05 PM »
Very cool! 👍

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2023, 01:18:58 AM »
Awesome! Glad you got in a game...makes the time spent working on a project all worthwhile!  :)

Mike Demana

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2023, 11:17:32 AM »
Good looking game. We also “backdate” some games to WW2 quite effectively.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Return to Zona Albion - Austin A35 added
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2023, 01:22:09 PM »
Another classic car of the 50s completed, This time I've gone for an Austin A35

Offline Binky

• Assistant
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2023, 07:02:49 PM »

Despite having the rulebook and collecting together a few minis and terrain pieces for ZA I'm yet to actually see it being played in the flesh so I'll put this event in my diary. Can't promise I'll make it as adult life stuff gets in the way sometimes, plus I'll have to take my wife's watch, meet up with the professor and the writer and get past the guards into the zone!  ;)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2023, 04:05:22 PM »
Despite having the rulebook and collecting together a few minis and terrain pieces for ZA I'm yet to actually see it being played in the flesh so I'll put this event in my diary. Can't promise I'll make it as adult life stuff gets in the way sometimes, plus I'll have to take my wife's watch, meet up with the professor and the writer and get past the guards into the zone!  ;)
As long as your shopping at the show doesn't end up including a large black dog  ;)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: Bleakridge Farm
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2023, 04:34:50 PM »
Fletcher was not happy. Being summoned by the genial Harry Grout never resulted in anything good.

"Now Fletcher," said Grouty, "I've got a little job for you. Last week the army did a sweep around Bleakstone to take out the scum who've been causing grief to everyone. They overstepped their mark when they shot up some government scientists and the army gave them their just deserts. Anyway, good riddance to them, they were upsetting the natural order of things" (meaning that not only were they encroaching on the profitability of the bandits in Grouty's pay, but they had managed to bring the level of bandit activity in the Zone to the attention of the military).

On the face of it, the job seemed simple. The bandits had been based at Bleakridge Farm overlooking the Bleakstone road. Go to the farm and recover anything that the bandits had stashed. Grouty gets to keep half of the value of any salvage or artifacts. Any gear Fletcher finds are is his to do with as he wants (subject to the normal fee for anything he sells).

Simple? Not a chance. Bandits have a habit of boobytrapping their stashes. Also, army sweeps take prisoners away with them but leave the bodies behind. With the bandits gone, the Zone's creatures will have quickly moved back into the area to feast. With Grouty taking half the loot, Fletcher would need to salvage everything of worth at the farm to make the trip worthwhile.

Game setup. On the nearest side of the board, 2 vehicles and the ruined cottage are POIs. On the far side of the board, the remaining 2 vehicles and the 4 buildings are POIs.

A string of bad bolt toss/inspection rolls from Fletcher (leader) and Bunny (scrounger) succeeded in alerting a pack of feral dogs. Worse still, the dogs deployed within move distance of McLaren. McLaren sensibly used his Alert action to dive over the wall and open up to the distance between him and the dogs. Meanwhile Lukewarm (medic) used his Alert action to give one dog a 7.62mm surprise. in the following turn the group made short work of the remaining dogs.

There was nothing to salvage at the car, so the stalkers advanced towards the farm.

Bunny got lucky. A successful bolt toss/inspect roll revealed a group of bandits lying in ambush without activating them (must have been sleeping or otherwise distracted)

The stalkers didn't use their Alert actions. Instead they waited until the following turn so that they could all get the jump on the bandits. All successfully took out their targets, although Fletcher had to expend 2 actions (8 shots) before one of his SMG rounds hit true.

While Bunny quickly searched the bandits' hut for salvage. the others looked around the farm for potential locations that might hold salvage.

The Bedford van looked tempting. A successful bolt toss/inspect roll revealed another pack of dogs. Lukewarm was on Alert, so took gave two dogs a 7.62mm surprise. Unfortunately I had forgotten how fast dogs move and they closed in on Fletcher and Lukewarm. Fletcher killed his dog, taking a wound in the process (good thing he was loaded up with med-kits), while Lukewarm took out his dog without any problems.

While the team redeployed, Bunny raced over to search the van for salvage. Meanwhile McLaren checked out the farmhouse, finding a dead bandit. In addition to a bit of gear, he found a marked-up map of the Northmoor area on the bandit.

Inspecting the large barn revealed an anomaly pulsing within the barn's shadows.

Trusting to his luck (stupidity?), Bunny decided to search the anomaly. He managed to avoid triggering it and came out with an artifact

In the penultimate turn Bunny the scrounger discovered a supply cache in the small barn, pulling out a couple of useful items in the final turn.

Meanwhile McLaren discovered an old lady who told him that, of the remaining two POIs in the fields, one contained nothing of interest and there was a mutant sniffing round the other

With no time left to check out the mutant (the stalkers needed to make themselves scarce before a patrol turned up) Fletcher decided it was time to head home.

Epilogue:

Fletcher was pleased and mulled over their success as they downed celebratory beers at the Winchester. The trip had gone far better than he could have anticipated (even if one of the dogs had bitten him). They had netted a reasonable haul of salvage and Bunny had excelled himself in beating an anomaly. Grouty would be very pleased. Even with Grouty's 50% cut for this trip, Fletcher would still walk away with over three grand. Against his better nature, Fletcher decided that Bunny deserved a reward, so he would buy him one of the new-fangled Quatermass anomaly detectors from Camp Tony* and a set of modified 58-pattern webbing to carry it on. Hopefully this investment would pay off in future Zone runs.

* Camp Tony is Fletcher's chosen supplier of weapons and equipment for zone runs.

This game was run with a 10k team in TL1. I had a couple of close calls, as I had forgotten how fast feral dogs move (my leader took one wound). Other than some bad initial bolt toss rolls and Fletcher's poor rolls shooting at the bandits, the team fared well. The two weakest (regular) members, 'Bunny' Warren and Lukewarm, both did well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 04:41:58 PM by Bullshott »