Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 712
Total: 718

Recent

Author Topic: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: The Quatermass Run, Part 7  (Read 26692 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: Hunting Party Part 1
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2023, 09:47:07 AM »
Still enjoying your work over here.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2023, 10:23:37 AM »
They're showing re-runs of Dempsey and Makepeace(*) at the moment, and McLaren is one of the cops in it. Very confusing to see him on the side of law and order.

I think you've got most of them already, but there are one or two more characters who could yet make an appearance - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Porridge_characters

(*) shockingly bad, just... Worse than that, I remember watching them the first time around :( I prefer not to think about how many/few of them are still with us.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2023, 11:36:32 AM »
They're showing re-runs of Dempsey and Makepeace(*) at the moment, and McLaren is one of the cops in it. Very confusing to see him on the side of law and order.

I think you've got most of them already, but there are one or two more characters who could yet make an appearance - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Porridge_characters

(*) shockingly bad, just... Worse than that, I remember watching them the first time around :( I prefer not to think about how many/few of them are still with us.
Alas, I'm old enough to have watched it the first time around too!!!

More characters from Porridge will appear in due course. At some point soon Blanco may appear in the team
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2023, 06:17:28 PM »
Your crew seems to be doing well enough.  But why do I get the feeling the other shoe will drop sometime soon...?
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2023, 10:57:55 PM »
Your crew seems to be doing well enough.  But why do I get the feeling the other shoe will drop sometime soon...?
Have you been peeking at the horror on my painting table?  lol

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2023, 09:53:30 PM »
Have you been peeking at the horror on my painting table?  lol

No!  I swear!  Honest!   :D

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2023, 10:26:15 AM »
Thank you for your creativity sir!

I am a very sporadic user of the forum and happened upon your thread by chance. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your creation of the setting, looking at the pictures and reading your AAR's. So much, that despite not doing much miniature wise these days due to chronic pain issues, I'm very much inclined to start something up at my local club, using the aforementioned Zona Alfa rules.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2023, 08:06:23 PM »
Just catching up on this topic and enjoying it a lot. Great narrative and AARs. It’s got me wondering. I also have mainly British scenery. Would this work in a pre-war setting? Looks like another rules purchase is called for.

Look forward to seeing more on your incursions into the zone.

Doug

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2023, 01:55:08 PM »
Just catching up on this topic and enjoying it a lot. Great narrative and AARs. It’s got me wondering. I also have mainly British scenery. Would this work in a pre-war setting?

Most of my terrain is generic European, with my British terrain being  based mainly on half-timbered buildings, so useable from English Civil War through to VBCW and beyond. To bring the terrain to 20th century settings I'm just adding the odd era-specific building and street furniture (e.g. garage, phone boxes, road signs, abandoned vehicles). I'm currently making up an abandoned art deco style garage, to be used in my next Zona Albion story arc.

If you decide to look at Zona Alfa in a British setting message me and I'll let you have my Zona Albion play sheets with 1970s era weapons, etc. Also look up the Stalker7 Facebook group, which is well supported.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2023, 10:35:19 PM »
Most of my terrain is generic European, with my British terrain being  based mainly on half-timbered buildings, so useable from English Civil War through to VBCW and beyond. To bring the terrain to 20th century settings I'm just adding the odd era-specific building and street furniture (e.g. garage, phone boxes, road signs, abandoned vehicles). I'm currently making up an abandoned art deco style garage, to be used in my next Zona Albion story arc.

If you decide to look at Zona Alfa in a British setting message me and I'll let you have my Zona Albion play sheets with 1970s era weapons, etc. Also look up the Stalker7 Facebook group, which is well supported.

Thanks - pm sent.

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2023, 02:20:29 PM »
Really enjoyed reading through the thread, the campaign seems to join all the games together in a comprehensive way and allows your character's character to grow with each new game. The setting is also very appealing.

You seem to be able to deal with any opponent the game throws at you and the main enemy is time i.e. number of turns to complete the scenario. Would that be a fair assessment or are the games just going your way at present and the tide may turn in the future?

Anyway hope to read more on this.
Cheers

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2023, 12:14:58 AM »
Really enjoyed reading through the thread, the campaign seems to join all the games together in a comprehensive way and allows your character's character to grow with each new game. The setting is also very appealing.

You seem to be able to deal with any opponent the game throws at you and the main enemy is time i.e. number of turns to complete the scenario. Would that be a fair assessment or are the games just going your way at present and the tide may turn in the future?

Anyway hope to read more on this.
Cheers

Thanks for the positive comments.

The stalkers have had a good deal of luck in their draw of POI cards, e.g. Grandma pointing out the location of a bandit ambush, which allowed the team to get the jump on the bandits (walking into a bandit ambush is a good way of receiving a lot of pain). Also, the team haven't yet had to brave the horrors of the Red Zone (something I'm rectifying with the next story arc).

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: Hunting Party Part 2 PICTURE HEAVY
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2023, 03:40:08 PM »
Apologies for the late posting of this conclusion to Fletcher's hunting party, but I thought I had already posted this.

This game gets Fletcher's crew to the point where they should be able to venture on multi-game campaigns, having now survived their first run into the Red Zone.

Hunting Party Part 2

Fletcher, Lukewarm, Godber, Ingrid and Heslop were gathered in Dave's back room at the Winchester. They were hidden away here so that they could plan the next run without evesdroppers.

MacKay, their client, badly wanted to go back to the Zone to bag more trophies. Realistically the only place to go would be the Red Zone. Fletcher had for some time had an area in mind that they could try, up on the moors beyond the abandoned village of Grimford, where they had just taken their client for his first Zone hunt. It was an unfashionable isolated part of the Zone and now overrun with the Zone's creatures. However, the road over the moors to Stonehaven ran through the area.

After the first incident everyone in a wide area was either evacuated by the government or made their way out if they had the means. Some left it too late to leave and were caught by the second, much larger, energy emission as they tried to escape. The Stonehaven road still bears testament to this, being littered with vehicles that got caught by the emission. Their occupants instantly killed or worse.

As well as the prospect of good kills for their client, Fletcher had been waiting for the opportunity to check out the vehicles on the road. With so many mutants in the area to deter lone stalkers, there was a good chance that at least some of the vehicles might contain salvage of worth.

Fletcher thought that, with Heslop having returned, his crew probably now had enough experience between them to face the Red Zone. Even young Godber seemed to be ready. He checked off his shopping list. Chest rigs and hot loads for their SMGs were at the top. Oh, and remind their client to get a gas mask for himself.

The game was run at TL3 with an 8 turn duration.

Board layout

Entering the Red Zone

As the mist came down Ingrid's inspection of the ruined farmhouse succeeded in alerting a trip of mutated moorland ponies. A horse lover, Ingrid was shocked by the sight of the mutants (her bolt toss was a critical miss, resulting in a pin)

MacKay the client got a good clean kill on the first mutant. Lukewarm got a second, but Godber succeeded in only grazing his. Heslop then vaulted the wall to finish off the last one with his shotgun. Good teamwork!

Fletcher got into position so that he had a good view of both the road and under the bridge. He didn't expect to see a horde of revenants.

Heslop moved into position too quickly and fumbled his attack (three misses) but Godber nailed the first one. Then the rest of the revenants surged over the bridge. Fortunately they were slow and couldn't close on the stalkers.

Concentrated fire took out the revenants, but Ingrid's SMG jammed (critical miss). Meanwhile the client finished taking and bagging up a trophy of his kill.

Inspecting the trees by the river bank revealed an anomaly. Jackpot!

While Heslop headed towards the anomaly, the rest of the team investigated the first van. Lukewarm wasn't having a good day, as his bolt toss rattling on the van's roof woke something nasty inside.

As the huge mutant climbed out of the van Godber opened fire with his SLR. A double tap of 7.62mm took the lumbering brute down.
Before the dust had settled, Fletcher raced past the car to investigate what was in the van and Ingrid headed toward the ruined cottage.

Meanwhile Heslop the scrounger successfully grabbed a low level artifact from the Whirlpool anomaly. However, he became overconfident and tried to grab a second artifact. The anomaly's gravitational field slammed him to the ground and he found himself stuck in place!

Fletcher put his scrounger skills to use and made a good search of the van, finding some decent salvage together with a load bearing harness and an intact starlight sight. He then shouted instructions to Heslop to help him free himself from the anomaly.

Meanwhile Lukewarm led the rest of the team to check out the cottage. In the poor light he made out the swirling glow if phantoms. Best to leave well alone.

Moving on they checked out a tarp covering something amongst the trees. A careful inspection revealed nothing hostile, so Lukewarm went to check it out.

It was a cache of ammunition, including a satchel charge, some 40mm grenade launcher ammunition and some SMG magazines of 9mm hot load ammunition (perfect to replace some of what Fletcher and Ingrid had been firing).
With insufficient time remaining to investigate the other points of interest, the crew then started to make their way home.

Epilogue:

It was a good run and the crew performed very well. They came away with a good haul, in addition to the client's payment. Heslop got his first artifact and Godber amazed everyone in taking down the big mutant. The client was very pleased too and gave Fletcher a grand on top of Fletcher's red zone fee. He was very happy with the trophy from his kill.

The crew were now ready for bigger and better runs. This was a good thing, as Fletcher had a meeting at the Institute tomorrow with a new client, for what could potentially be some lucrative work.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2023, 06:20:43 PM »
Another good story, and you survived the Red Zone.
Cheers

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2023, 07:37:50 PM »
Another good story, and you survived the Red Zone.
Cheers

Glad you liked it. The next zone run won't be so easy (a 5 or 6 episode campaign, taking a reduced strength team into the Yellow and Red zones)