Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:04:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: The Quatermass Run, Part 7  (Read 26200 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: Hunting Party Part 2 PICTURE HEAVY
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2023, 07:34:17 PM »
That was another entertaining read. Plenty of variety in the encounters and a well constructed narrative. Keep up the very good work.

Doug

Offline James Mahdeep Bond V

• Bookworm
Re: Return to Zona Albion - AAR: Hunting Party Part 2 PICTURE HEAVY
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2023, 01:53:14 AM »
Best to leave well enough alone. 
Good example for the rest of us.
Well stated.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Return to Zona Albion - Banshee mutant added
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2023, 02:21:48 PM »
One of the most feared mutants in the Northmoor Exclusion Zone is the Banshee (also known as the Screamer in some zones). With 3 actions and large teeth it is bad enough, but its terrifying scream attack makes it a lot worse. The banshee may spend an action screaming. All figures within 6" of the banshee must make THREE SAVING ROLLS AGAINST THEIR WILL. For each fail take one Pin. Cover and being out of LOS have no effect on the scream attack.

The banshee has no eyes, so is unaffected by smoke. However, its sensitive hearing means that flashbangs cause 2 Pins instead of the usual 1.

Miniature is by Crooked Dice (pack of 2 figures, I'll be basing the second one differently for use in another Zone)

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2023, 03:34:20 PM »
Very cool rationale for the model and it’s abilities! I expect that when it shows up in games it will seriously inconvenience some stalkers.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2023, 05:58:47 PM »
Very cool rationale for the model and it’s abilities! I expect that when it shows up in games it will seriously inconvenience some stalkers.
That's the plan. My stalkers have had it a bit too easy ...

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2023, 07:30:08 PM »
Cool use of the miniature.

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2023, 07:00:24 AM »
Like it 👍🏼
Crooked dice do some great stuff
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2023, 10:31:33 AM »
I adore this thread, and the quality of the modelling and narrative etc. 

Your wide shots of the boards really take me to some blasted, forsaken heath.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2023, 08:05:21 PM »
My my what big teeth you have grandmother....all the better to eat you with.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2023, 05:59:56 PM »
Ugh.  That thing is ugly.  But in a good way... ;)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Re: Return to Zona Albion - new campaign: The Quatermass Run
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2023, 05:30:02 PM »
I'll shortly be starting a multi-game campaign for Fletcher's crew in my Zona Albion setting, so I present you with:

The Quatermass Run

Sitting in the sun, Fletcher allowed himself the luxury of rest, a rare commodity in the Zone. Lukewarm and Heslop were keeping watch, while Ingrid and Godber worked on the landy, so Fletcher shut his eyes and thought about the events of the last couple of days.

When Fletcher left the Institute building he had allowed himself a smile. His client was none other than Professor Quatermass and, on the face of it, this job looked like it could be a good earner. If they did this run right they may well get more work from the Institute.

Quatermass had explained that the seemingly random energy emissions in the Zone had always been assumed to radiate from the AERE Northmoor site, where the first incident was identified. However, measurements taken during recent emissions appeared to show that their point of origin might not actually be at the AERE site itself. Locating the actual point of origin was complicated by what he termed "echoes" of the emission at other points in the zone, that distorted the energy profile of the emission. Quatermass had therefore installed a number of instrument packages in the Zone to monitor these echoes and help him triangulate the true point of origin of the emissions. It was now time to recover the instrument data.  As emissions and other effects of the Zone could disrupt radio transmissions and corrupt transmitted data, the only reliable way to retrieve the data was to recover it manually.

Not being a boffin type, Fletcher was a bit confused over Quatermass' explanation, since everyone knew that the first emission was centred on the AERE site research site, caused by an experiment there. However, regardless of Quatermass' theory, it didn't affect the fact that they would get five hundred quid a piece for picking up the first three instrument packages that had been monitoring emissions inside the Yellow Zone, plus a grand for the fourth package in the Red Zone. This would be a difficult run, especially without McLaren and Bunny Warren (still on that job for Grouty), but made a bit easier because Quatermass had arranged for an access pass for Fletcher's crew to get in and out of the Zone.

It would be best to try to get the first three instruments in one hit, rather than going in and out of the Zone each time. Fortunately Ingrid knew of a working motor that they could use to get between the instrument sites (she had almost completed repairing it and just needed a couple of hours to fit some replacement parts before it should be roadworthy).

So far so good. Ingrid picked up second hand parts via her father's garage business. Quatermass' pass allowed them to waltz past the security checkpoint and Ingrid led them to an abandoned farm in the Green Zone. True to her word, she took them to a ramshackle barn hidden amongst some trees. Opening the doors she revealed an old Landrover, which must have been about the same age Ingrid and Godber. Old enough that they would be able to get it going using a starting handle without worrying about electrics fried by emissions. Good girl Ingrid!

The noise of an engine and a shout of jubilation stirred Fletcher from his thoughts. Ingrid had got the landy going. Time to press on to collect the instruments? "No" said Ingrid. The landy was breathing fumes, so they needed to get some fuel. Fortunately she knew of a jerrycan of diesel stashed at an old garage roughly on the way to the first instrument.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2023, 09:43:24 PM »
This is going to be good.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2023, 09:15:20 AM »
I’m primed and ready…..

Doug

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2023, 11:57:00 AM »
Fantastic stuff, great story and all very well done.
How do you paint the abandoned vehicles they are excellent?

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2023, 09:22:35 PM »
And now we wait....looking forward to news from The Zone...