Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15 mm Jousting Tournament game miniatures questions, please  (Read 1160 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
15 mm Jousting Tournament game miniatures questions, please
« on: February 23, 2024, 05:09:24 PM »
So, I find myself in possession of 10 caparisoned mounted men and some extra horses without riders, in 15 mm.  Best use I see myself making of these figures is for jousting tournament play.

Who makes - if anyone - items for setting up a tournament field (other than tents, well supplied on that front)?  If push comes to shove, can do some scratch building but hoping someone has items on the market already I can buy if the price is reasonable.

Also, best 15/18 mm ranges of figures that have suitable figures - not just mounted but foot figures and even some of the assistants and other suitable figures like heralds and trumpeters (have one trumpeter mounted).  And how about seated figures for the "bleachers". 

Thanks for whatever assistance you can offer.

Will almost certainly take inspiration from the movie A Knight's Tale, maybe not to everyone's taste but a guilty pleasure for me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 01:20:50 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 15 mm Tournament miniatures questioins, please
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 06:39:40 PM »
Found this video with some cool ideas - especially like the hoof prints which will be a challenge in 15 mm but not impossible:

and this one by the same poster:

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 15 mm Tournament miniatures questioins, please
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 09:25:35 PM »
While those videos are not new apparently the rules he references are just being re-released this month - had no idea!  Will have to check them out if not too expensive.  edit: not sure what I found are the 'new' rules but I found something on line at no cost that seems to be the basic rules, fairly simple and straight forward - I will adapt perhaps with a few minor changes.

Tallied those civilians: 78 civilians (in 72 sculpts, some women with children or babes as one sculpt), 75 of the 78 are unique with only the 3 small boys the same sculpt.

Then the religious figures: 67 figures (24 are females, 10 are druids or close enough to druids for my purposes).  That includes the religious mob which is only 9 figures.  Duplication of sculpts here.

The other mobs: 36 men, 36 women (12 naked), just civilians with clubs, staffs, sticks, etc.  Duplication again.

And 10 + 5 more: 2 men each with 2 dogs; a burning at the stake with a woman fiction (Joan of Arc?), man with fuel bundle, the pyre, and a religious man; a cart with load pulled by two oxen with two men, one the rider; 2 pack horses, 4 dogs, and one man being attacked at his throat by a Scotty; and those 5 mounted civilians, 4 men, 1 woman, and then some bits that came with some Forged in Battle packs, 2 pots hanging over fire, 2 larger pots resting on fires, and 2 barrows with wood fuel for the fires.

In the same two containers I also have 10 military men climbing ladders with 2 long and 8 short ladders.

Not yet sorted but I believe I have 15 additional carts as well as a variety of siege engines that can decorate the background perhaps - most in need of assembly.  Need to figure out how many suitable tents I have, should be more than enough.

Off to hunt around medieval ranges for figures for pages, squires, heralds, etc.  And more jousting men.  Especially more men and women of higher classes for the audiences.

Be still my vibrating credit card: found this stuff - https://shop.ancient-modern.co.uk/camp-and-baggage-119-c.asp
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 04:23:32 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 15 mm Jousting Tournament game miniatures questions, please
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 04:33:42 AM »
I have placed a few orders for my Jousting adventure - stuff to decorate the table and enough figures to create eight Jousting Teams with retinue - combined with figures I already had and sorted out the last couple of days.

For those confused about the bit above about civilians - that should have referenced to my other thread regarding my somewhat related Robin Hood adventure.  Suffice to say, I have plenty of civilians and workers including some dedicated to the viewing stands for jousting separate for those to be used for Robin Hood games and Vikings attacking villages games (the Robin Hood and Viking figures are the same set).

Fun somewhere ahead.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 02:15:33 AM »
Received my Khurasan order today - my primary jousting knights, mostly with lances but a few with other weapons plus a couple of mounted  heralds/bugleers.  Also a bunch of foot figures to match (as close as I can) one foot knight for each mounted knight.  And enough of the same basic figure for each knight to have a personal squire.  Also some foot command for foot herald/buglers.

Not sure if or how I will use them but I ordered extra 'feathers' for helmet top decorations just for the fun of adding some color to the game.

Now waiting on the Donnington miniatures order and all should be good to move forward when time permits. 

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 11:47:25 PM »
And sorted - for the Jousting Teams - except for a dozen figures still inbound from Donnington which will be mixed in upon arrival (as well as other bits and pieces for setting the scene).

Each team will have 3 mounted knights - each with a 'matching' dismount, 3 squires, 6 pages and other support figures, and 4 armed camp guards.  Then there are two sets of "royals" with 3 mounted figures and a half dozen foot figures, 16 figures for the "treasure" guard, and the 3 Special Knights with matching dismounts and 6 foot figures, finally, one set of 3 mounted with 6 foot figures.  Civilians not included in above: 84 + 1 Special Character.  With everything it will be a bit less than 500 total pieces, mounted men, horses, figures on foot, etc.  Probably a lot more than most would do but it should be a cool setup once all built.

Each team should have its own livery with individualization for the knights themselves.

Offline Hunlion

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 12:59:31 AM »

Rules .... Steel and steed.   Has a FB page.

Hunlion

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 01:33:21 AM »
Hunlion, thanks - I took a look.  I'll stick with Full Tilt, really simple rules and I'll just bolt on the ground combat with very similar mechanisms and then come up with something for the archery 'titls'. 

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 03:58:23 AM »
Got the last of my orders today for this set up.  Added to the eight teams are one praying, kneeling knight, one knight on a down (but not lying) horse, and one dead knight.  For every second team there is a praying clergymen.

On the civilian side added two sets of jester and four musicians, a couple of mounted ladies, more on the blacksmith/armourer front, a couple of folks cooking and other bits and pieces just to add to the visuals.

Now all I have to do is find time to paint this stuff and build the pavilions.  But all sorted when ready.