Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ID these figs please  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
ID these figs please
« on: December 07, 2022, 06:42:59 PM »
Men,

I think these are the old unlicensed LotR figs by Ral Partha. Can anyone confirm?

Also, does anyone know where to find these nowadays?

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: ID these figs please
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 09:18:28 PM »
The serpent motif certainly fits with them being inspired by Lord of the Rings, but I have no idea which company made them. I’m curious to find out!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 09:30:43 PM »
They're giving me a Minifigs vibe for some reason, and I know they did a 25mm LoTR model range back in ... 70's? No, maybe not, I've just checked.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 09:33:59 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 10:16:25 PM »
These are from Der Kriegspieler's not-Tolkien range. They're "Mean and Wicked Hareds Southerners with Spears and Bows":

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Der_Kriegspielers_Fantastiques_%281000%29#1026

They're long out of production, I think.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 07:12:00 AM by Hobgoblin »

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 10:24:16 PM »
STOP PRESS: some Der Kriegspieler figures are in production, apparently, though not these particular ones:

http://classicminiatures.net/info/

Might be worth asking ...

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 09:10:09 AM »
Considering some of these sculpts are pushing 45 years old, there's some nice minis in amongst the 'WTF is that?' It's the names that get me, though. Current favourites:

Two-Headed Ogre - Really a Nasty Fellow Bites off Heads of Strangers
Lycanthrope - Man & Bear Great Killer of Orcs & Other Despicable Evils

lol

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 10:38:25 AM »
Considering some of these sculpts are pushing 45 years old, there's some nice minis in amongst the 'WTF is that?'

Yes, indeed - if this range were in production in the UK (à la Minfigs), I'd be all over it. I love the attention to detail: this "Hill-troll of Gorgoth" [sic] is note-perfect in its fidelity to Tolkien's description of the Olog-hai at the Morannon (the "hill-trolls out of Gorgoroth"):

I
t's the names that get me, though. Current favourites:

Two-Headed Ogre - Really a Nasty Fellow Bites off Heads of Strangers
Lycanthrope - Man & Bear Great Killer of Orcs & Other Despicable Evils

lol

Ha! I reckon one reason for the elaborate names is that they were told to "cease and desist" from using Tolkien's nomenclature, so they've gone all out in making the nods to his characters as explicit as can be - with a fair bit of humour thrown in!

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 04:47:01 PM »
Thanks men, those are indeed the figs i have.

Here's the thing though; I just bought those last year from a guy who has the molds. (I also bought the $150 oliphant with howdah that is shown on the same page.) But I can't remember who it was!!!!!!! I can't believe I was stupid enough to delete all our communications: that is not like me at all. I've even searched through last year's Paypal and can't find him for sure. I was hoping to get a few more to go with my giant collection from the mid - 70's.

Oh yeah, anyone interested in a giant 5 pound oliphant? It won't cost you $150. haha. It's the same one pictured on the page in the link. I ended up going with the war elephants from Ral Partha. $9 each.

Thanks again everybody.
Steve

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 05:11:30 PM »
Thanks men, those are indeed the figs i have.

Here's the thing though; I just bought those last year from a guy who has the molds. (I also bought the $150 oliphant with howdah that is shown on the same page.) But I can't remember who it was!!!!!!! I can't believe I was stupid enough to delete all our communications: that is not like me at all. I've even searched through last year's Paypal and can't find him for sure. I was hoping to get a few more to go with my giant collection from the mid - 70's.

Oh yeah, anyone interested in a giant 5 pound oliphant? It won't cost you $150. haha. It's the same one pictured on the page in the link. I ended up going with the war elephants from Ral Partha. $9 each.

Thanks again everybody.
Steve

It wasn't classicminiatures.net that I linked to above? They're selling the Oliphaunt for $150.