Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark - Who's Playing?  (Read 64001 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Oathmark - Who's Playing?
« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2021, 05:11:04 PM »
More grist for the scifi board than this thread, but yes, good to know they're coming.
I was just surprised that the North Star newsletter does not seem to be being read/noted here and on the other sub forum.

Saying that, I am hoping the Scavengers might provide some additional bodies for my Squirrels (the Frostgrave Soldiers sprue can provide some bodies with spare Elf light infantry heads and bows).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #631 on: August 08, 2021, 05:18:23 PM »
Interesting discussion on the cavalry strengths.

Have you tried the larger and smaller units?

The Oathmark four unit (or 80  25mm based figure) limit does prevent some of the odder armies. It is not just cavalry, Elf Rangers (though requiring a full rank) would be scary if you deployed multiple one rank units.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #632 on: October 15, 2021, 09:36:27 PM »
I was just thinking around... Why the most games dont have rules to simulate daytime and weather? So I started to make houserules for it in Oathmark:
https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/2021/10/59-weather-and-daytime-effects-in.html
Would be happy about Your comments on it!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #633 on: October 16, 2021, 12:01:25 AM »
Interesting ideas for bringing in season, weather and time of day to wargames. I’m going to try to convince my usual opponent to to try the rules in our next game.

One point about Oathmark - in the basic game there is a 20% chance of rolling the “wind and rain” scenario for each battle. It makes weather an important factor in at least some games.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #634 on: October 16, 2021, 09:28:02 AM »
Some good ideas BZ, especially about how it changes during play.  :)

I would say that quite a few games have modelled weather effects and seasonal conditions over the years, including a lot of the old GW games - in fact, dawn/dusk and night-fighting conditions had whole sets of scenarios for them in 40k 3E-7E, and I know both Blood Bowl and Necromunda also has both weather effects and ongoing/changeable conditions during games, and I'm pretty sure older games like Man-O-War did too. I also have a recollection that Frostgrave models unusual weather that changes during play as well... To name a few games, anyway. ;)

How useful/fun it is to model some of these things in games is hard to say. If it's only ever negatives, and if most negative effects only affect shooting or movement, then having the rules becomes a chore for any players whose armies rely on shooting/manoeuvre more than others. However, if you can be more creative about the types of effects, and the penalties are not too harsh, then they can be very interesting. Personally, I have always felt that such conditions were best linked to set scenarios, where there can be a degree of control over how strongly they affect the game, and where there can be other ways of offsetting certain events.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #635 on: October 17, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »
Thanks for reading it! I would be happy if I got some, how it worked!
I didnt remembered, that so many games had weather effects.
The most effects of weather are negative, and most are regarding sight (so also bad for shooting), and movement... Its hard get every unit/army type equallyeffected by them. Maybe it would be better to compensate them with some kind of magic (re-roll or change effect, or compensate the negative effects, withsome kind of light-footed, infra sight or something).

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #636 on: January 02, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »
Hello people, sorry for the threadomancy, but I got the Oathmark rulebook for Christmas after a colleague recommended it, so I'm popping in to say (18 months after everyone else) that it looks cool and fun, and I hope I can find someone to play with (sadly my colleague lives more than 2 hours' drive away and as a result I'm unlikely to be pooping down to have a quick game on any regular basis).

Are people still playing? Or did I miss the boat?

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #637 on: January 02, 2023, 04:28:04 PM »
Not so much playing as still building my armies (I have some RTB-01s to finish as well).

If you have fantasy figures based up and painted, build up some armies from them.

If not, then select a few of the Oathmark plastics and build up some mini-armies. one of the key things about the army lists is that they are multi-species, so you can build elf and  undead mini-armies for your fellow gamers to learn the rules - then when someone else has an army you need to fight, you can use your mini-armies combined for the Wraith-Pixie Alliance.

One box of Elf Light Infantry will build you a full mini-army:
Four ranks of Elf Rangers, one rank of Elf Pathfinders and an Elf Spellcaster.

Or
Four ranks of Rangers

Necromancer army - from one Oathmark Skeleton box and a Frostgrave  Cultist box

Five ranks of Skeleton Soldiers, one rank of human archers, nearly two ranks of human soldiers and a necromancer.

Gnolls (counts as Orcs) - using a box and a half of Frostgrave Gnolls (and some Anvil Industries shoulder pads).

Four ranks of Gnoll Soldiers, one rank of archers and one rank of Linebreakers.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 04:30:55 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #638 on: January 02, 2023, 05:34:20 PM »
I’ll second Ultravanillasmurf’s suggestion to use whatever fantasy figures you already have, at least to get started. Oathmark is actually quite adaptable in terms of what figures to use, as long as the players are open to ‘counts as’ substitutions. It’s currently my set of favorite fantasy rules.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #639 on: January 02, 2023, 09:12:57 PM »
Oh, yeah, I've been up in the loft doing a quick audit to try and make up units.

But it was bloody cold so I came down and had a cup of tea instead.

I've certainly got plenty of Orcs and Goblins (I built a KoW Orc and Goblin army some years ago, mostly with GW minis and that will be the basis of any Oathmark O&G army). And then I've got some LotR O&G as well, and see no reason not to fold them in to the mix too.

And quite a few Elves, and some Dwarves, and a lot of various Humans... so I'm sure I can cobble some armies together!

I don't have any of the supplements mind, so it's Dwarves, Elves, Humans and O&G only (I've downloaded the Halfling list but I think I only have maybe a dozen Halfling minis so they're not going to become a real force).

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #640 on: January 04, 2023, 08:18:35 AM »
I still play it with my kids (unfortunately still with mostly grey miniatures...), its a great game with some unique aspects!
I just cant find enough time, so I had tocut my writing about playing to favour of playing himself...

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #641 on: January 04, 2023, 08:54:04 AM »
Haven't played in a while as we defaulted back to SAGA and slightly smaller armies. Hoping to come back to it, and hoping to play some more military expeditions. We played the wizard tower one which was quite fun.