Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:03:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Boer Artillery and MG Crews?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
28mm Boer Artillery and MG Crews?
« on: December 18, 2022, 05:15:11 PM »
Does anyone make Boer artillery and MG crews in 28mm?

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
Re: 28mm Boer Artillery and MG Crews?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 09:26:55 PM »
First or Second War?

For the Second, Old Glory and Redoubt Enterprises have uniformed Boer artillery crews.

For the First (or earlier) , it’s possible to adapt either ACW or possibly Boot Hill Texans, or nag Perry’s or Iron Duke Miniatures to release a pack in their ranges.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 10:59:22 PM »
Sorry Second Boer War.

Won’t the Boers the Perry already do work for the Second Boer War? Didn’t realise the Boers had uniformed troops.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 11:08:29 PM »
Sorry Second Boer War.

Won’t the Boers the Perry already do work for the Second Boer War? Didn’t realise the Boers had uniformed troops.

I'd say no. They don't really look like 1899 Boers to me. Those Boers are meant for the 1840s, and the clothing styles, not to mention the weapons, had shifted a bit between then and the South African war of 1899. Your mileage may vary, of course.

The Boers did have some uniformed troops, specifically the Transvaal Staatsartillerie, which I am assuming the figures referred to above are a representation of.

Edit: Foundry do a few packs of Boers for the period you are interested in. They are from one of their older ranges though, and are considerably smaller than many modern figures, if memory serves. That may or may not be a problem for you.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 11:15:43 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 11:27:00 PM »
I'd say no. They don't really look like 1899 Boers to me. Those Boers are meant for the 1840s, and the clothing styles, not to mention the weapons, had shifted a bit between then and the South African war of 1899. Your mileage may vary, of course.

The Boers did have some uniformed troops, specifically the Transvaal Staatsartillerie, which I am assuming the figures referred to above are a representation of.

Edit: Foundry do a few packs of Boers for the period you are interested in. They are from one of their older ranges though, and are considerably smaller than many modern figures, if memory serves. That may or may not be a problem for you.

Thanks for the reply.

https://www.empressminiatures.com/british-forces-76-c.asp

Would these figures from Empress work for the second Boer War?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 12:43:02 AM »
They are better fashion-wise, but still not perfect. Many of them have bandoleers for single rounds, as they are using Zulu War era single-shot Martini Henrys (those figures represent the Transvaal Burgher Force, which was made up of Boers who volunteered to fight alongside the British during the Zulu War). You could use these figures for the Transvaal War of 1880-81 quite happily.

However, the Boers were largely using magazine rifles by the time of the Second Boer War (which necessitates different bandoleers as well as quite different-looking rifles) . But this is one of those times when you just have to decide how finicky you want to be about such things. I wouldn't say you can't use them, just that they're not perfect and I'm not sure I would.

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 05:16:15 AM by Old Contemptable »

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 06:20:19 AM by Old Contemptable »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 08:29:32 AM »
OC - Thanks for all those links. Really helpful

Plynkes - Thanks for your comments. It hadn’t occurred to me about bandoliers etc

Thanks for all the replies  :)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 08:40:43 AM »
You could take a look at Redoubt enterprises that have a pretty extensive 2nd Boer war range including artillery

https://www.redoubtenterprises.com/product/bwe-09/ 

Only issue is I've seen a few posts around the internet that their customer service has taken a bit of a nosedive recently.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 12:43:02 PM »
hi
if i ll find time i'll post a pict of them but a less known choice are the Boers from Warrior Miniatures..even if labelled 25mm they are compatible with other ranges ..they are in civilian clothes but the fact that they have separate weapons make them useful, by equipping tem with artillery rounds or tools, for a gun crew.
http://www.warriorminiatures.com/