Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:45:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Family, Duty, Honor - Previews  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Family, Duty, Honor - Previews
« on: December 28, 2022, 07:42:32 AM »
Hey y'all,

Some of you might already know me from my other thread, Winter is Coming. In that one I cover all the Northern houses from Game of Thrones as seen in the show. Now that I am coming close to finishing that project, only having the Manderlys, Mormonts and Glovers left to cover, I have started making preparations for my next one.

Given how much I enjoyed the first project, from looking for shots of the different houses and trying to put together models to resemble them to painting up the models afterwards, I have decided to do all of the Seven Kingdoms, Dorne and the Targaryens over the next few years. The first region I'm moving on to is the Riverlands.

I have already managed to find the appropriate bits for most models, but am still looking for a few. That is why I would like to ask for your help again to make sure everything is ready once the North is finished. First of all, I am still looking for models with armor resembling that of house Bracken, preferably both on foot and mounted:

Next I am looking for heads that closely resemble both Edmure and Brynden Tully. If you know any bits boxes or models that match their portrayal in the show, please let me know. Lastly, I am still on the lookout for shields for my Whents and Mallisters. If you happen to know of any shields with either bats or eagles on them (Polish medieval for example) please let me know.

That's all for now. After I finish my first project in one or two months from now you will see regular updates in this one, covering the valiant lords and their warriors answering the call to arms of house Tully!

Finished:
Tully Standard Bearer - 23-3-2023

To do:
Edmure Tully
Tully Horsemen
Brynden Tully
Tully Spearmen
Jason Mallister
Mallister Seaguard
Willis Wode
Whent Swordsmen
Tytos Blackwood
Blackwood Longbowmen
Jonos Bracken
Bracken Horsemen
Stevron Frey
Frey Spearmen
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 02:49:42 PM by Rosie »

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Family, Duty, Honor - An Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 11:50:17 AM »
While I am still waiting for different kits to come in to start working on the Riverlords and their loyal warriors, I have decided to give you all a little preview of this new project. I finished working on the Tully Spearmen today, apart from their shields, which should arrive soon, and the banner, which I will be painting once I have the shields to get the heraldry to match as best as possible.

For these spearmen, matching their appearance from the show wasn't that difficult. The Scandinavian Infantry from Fireforge provided me with most of what I needed. Fishscale armor with chainmail added in, along with spears as armament. Since they only come with one head variant that has chainmail on it, however, I decided to add in a few heads from the Spanish Heavy Infantry for variation:

For their painting scheme, I mostly used the same colors as on the Stark infantry, just making sure to go a little darker on them as the Tully troops do seem to have darker armor as well in the show. I hope you like them! Once the shields arrive, I will be finishing up the models and removing them from the to do list.

In the mean time I have managed to get my hands on shields for both house Whent and house Mallister. What I am still looking for however are heads for Edmure and Brynden Tully, as well as models with armor similar to that of the Brackens from my previous post. Any help with those is much appreciated!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Family, Duty, Honor - An Introduction
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 02:43:41 AM »
Great start! The Scandinavian bodies are an amazing source of scale armored bodies

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Family, Duty, Honor - Tully Standard Bearer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 09:46:31 AM »
Thanks for the praise! Yes, the Scandinavian infantry form the perfect core for multiple Riverland houses.

Alright, so I'm still waiting for the shields to finally arrive, but have decided to paint up the banner in the mean time, using a picture of the shield in question to match the heraldry. Here's how it turned out:

I'm quite happy with the result. I think the freehand turned out rather well and have to say the brighter colors of the banner do the miniature a lot of good in general. As soon as the shields arrive, I'll be painting them up as well, finally finishing my Tully Spearmen. Before that, though, I'll probably get a preview of Willis Wode up first since he's all but done. Stay tuned for more!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Family, Duty, Honor - Tully Standard Bearer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 03:07:08 PM »
That banner turned out great! Will the shields have the same motif and colours? If so, they will look quite snappy!

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Family, Duty, Honor - Previews
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 02:49:27 PM »
Thanks! Yes, the shield will have the same colors, along with two fish like the one on the banner on it. Still deciding on whether I'll paint them both white, or do one in black to represent the two Tully brothers.

I promised to bring you some previews while waiting for the new parts to arrive, so here they are. First of all, I have almost finished Willis Wode. Since house Whent lacks any suitable commanders, he will be leading their warriors. The miniature is comprised of a body and head from the Scandinavian Infantry with arms from the Spanish Heavy Infantry and a cloak from my bits box added on:

All in all I think the model matches his show appearance rather well. I mostly used the same painting scheme as on my Tully infantry, but decided to paint his padded armor in a different, lighter tone of brown. There are still two things that need to be done. Firstly, I'll give him a Whent shield once it arrives, which should be next week.

Secondly, I need to decide on the color of his cloak. Now both Tully brothers will get a blue cloak while lords Bracken and Blackwood will receive a black one. I'm not sure what to do with lords Mallister, Frey and Willis Wode however. What would you say?

I also have another preview to show you in the form of the model for Edmure Tully, Lord of Riverrun. Now I needed a mounted model with cloak that looked similar to the infantry yet stands out at the same time. Therefore, I went with the Alexander Nevsky model from Fireforge and performed a head swap, using one of the heads I still had laying around that looks rather similar to that of Edmure:

As soon as I have him painted up, he should be ready to go online. I've figured out most of the paint job, but am still not decided on the color of his horse. Any ideas?