Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:18:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690760
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Operation Zebra. Rhodesia Bush war AAR  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Operation Zebra. Rhodesia Bush war AAR
« on: December 29, 2022, 06:36:56 PM »
The following is an account of our Christmas game a four man game af Badlands (Outside the wire) an as yet unpublished rules set.

After a very succesfull fireforce operation codenamed Operation Zebra. Where A detachment of African Rifles and Light infantry succesfully destroyed a ZANLA base 20 kilometers across the border in Mozambique. They get a notice that an armoured column of ZANLA fighters are en route to counterattack before they have a chance to exfiltrate.

The Rhodesian forces are in the yard of the raided ZANLA base and as they get word of the coming attack they scramble to find some defensible positions and plan a way out and back across the border. But they get quite a shock as the first thing they see is a T-55 cresting the hill.

But private Jones resolutely jump into the back of a nearby pickup truck and opens up with the .50 and rakes the tank with fire. As he empties a full canister of .50 ammo the tank bursts into flame.

The first section of the Light Infantry have taken up positions on the roof and lays a punishing wall of fire down on some advancing ZANLA troopers on foot.

Meanwhile a BTR152 have advanced behind the burning T-55 and opens fire on the Light Infantry on the roof. Pinning one f them.

The African Rifles elements have run across the camp towards a parked BTR152 But on the way one of them steps on a landmine and is instantly killed an another one is badly wounded.

A ZANLA foot element has advanced on the second section of Light Infantry in the pickup truck a well placed RPG kills one and wounds two more. But somehow the truck is still running.

Another mounted ZANLA element has advance to cut off the Rhodesians retreat.

But while they are busy shooting at the Light Infantry section on the roof. They suddenly get attacked by a pride of lions. One man gets severely mauled before they are driven off.

On the other end of the battlefield a Hawker Hunter drops a bomb on the BTR152 wounding 3 and pinning the rest of the crew.

Private Jones the sole uninjured man in Second section Jumps from his .50 and takes the wheel of the truck and guns the engine and races through the camp. But is stopped by the fence.

An Allouette helicopter shows up to add some much needed air support to the besieged Infantry. Unfortunately its air is off and i has no real impact.

In the other end of the camp Lt. Smith of the African Rifles have gotten a resistance put together. They have stabilized the wounded soldier manned a ZSU gun and the BTR152. The ZSU takes out the ZANLA BTR152. But most of the crew manage to bail out.

As the African Rifles turn the ignition key for the BTR152 it turns out that it is mined. Killing everyone but one man who is left seriosly wounded.

The Allouette helicopter takes another pass and this time its aim is a bit better as it manages to kill on af the ZANLA guys who just bailed out of the BTR152.

The ZANLA foot troops have free reign to advancing on the base after private Perkins of the first section Light infantry sits on a crate that turns out to be mined. Only two seriously wounded men are left bleeding on the roof.

Lt. Smith of the African rifles has taken cover in a small wood outside the base as there is only him and another survivor from his section. He is joined by Private Jones who has now managed to knock down the base fence and race to the safety of the wood.

But as he is about to slow down to pick up Lt. Smith he hits a mine that blows up him the truck and both wounded survivors in the back.

Lt. Smith and the last survivor from the African Rifles have no option but to run to safety. But as they do the African Rifle is gunned down and only Lt. Smith makes it of the field.

The ZANLA fighters have recaptured their base and destroyed the element who attacked it.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Operation Zebra. Rhodesia Bush war AAR
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 09:58:30 PM »
Very nice setup.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 01:11:13 AM »
Good looking game.  Are those tents specific to Rhodesia?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen any like them before.
I’m preparing to do Rhodesia in 15mm.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 01:42:20 AM »
Looks like a tense and fun game! Disaster for the Rhodesians...  :o

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 01:51:58 AM »
Nice battle (unless you were the Rhodesians...) and report.  very cool!

But I have a very pedantic question:  How did a Ma Deuce light up that T-55?   :o
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 09:02:33 AM »
Interesting looking game, good job on all the pictures.
Lot of mines planted inside that compound..!

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 09:40:37 AM »
Great looking game and table!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 09:44:47 AM »
Thanks everyone.

The tents are just some I made years ago because I wanted something that could look like a refugee camp. I don't think they are particular Rhodesian og even if they are even time appropriate. They are loosely based of images like this.

Taking out at T-55 with a .50 was a lucky punch. But it was the only weapon the Rhodesians had that had any chance of harming the tank. It was shot in the side where the armor is weaker and the rest must be down to poor maintenance and a lot of open hatches. Perhaps it wasn't so much blown up, but taken out of action..

The rules we play a .50 has an armor penetration of 1 and I had given the t-55 an armor value of 2 in the front and 1 on the sides and rear. Meaning the .50 could damage it in the front and rear.

The mines were part of some random events i had written for the game. As I understand the conflict mines were liberally spread everywhere. But as they were random events I had sort of hoped that they would be spread out more evenly as it were the Rhodesians ended up triggering all the mines/boobietraps. But it was great fun. It made sense to us that a ZANLA camp had some boobietraps/mines.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 09:46:58 AM by Dr. Zombie »

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 10:36:52 PM »
Great AAR Dr. Z. I am glad to see that many of our fellow gamers could see what a hard day it had been for the Rhodesians. As Commander of the African riffels it was a hard blow to see the BTR152 blow up tanking out half my Unit. A great game and fantastic events (even though the hyenas who attached the wounded could have been more hungry for rebel flest).

Cheers
Erik

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 05:28:30 PM »
Taking out at T-55 with a .50 was a lucky punch. But it was the only weapon the Rhodesians had that had any chance of harming the tank. It was shot in the side where the armor is weaker and the rest must be down to poor maintenance and a lot of open hatches. Perhaps it wasn't so much blown up, but taken out of action..

The rules we play a .50 has an armor penetration of 1 and I had given the t-55 an armor value of 2 in the front and 1 on the sides and rear. Meaning the .50 could damage it in the front and rear.

Must have put several tracers into the T-55's external fuel tanks.  They blow up in the movies when they do that!   :o :D

And you did a good job with those tents! 

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 03:13:53 PM »
Excellent game Dr. I thought some of the Rhodesian's might make it home but when the mine blew up the BTR152 that  must have been a shock for Erik.  :o :o :o
Cheers

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 11:09:32 PM »
That looks really good.  Great troops and terrain.  Bravo!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 09:24:12 PM »
Great looking game and do like the theme.