Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689794
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Having just watched “Zulu”…….  (Read 3486 times)

Offline EnclavedMicrostate

• Librarian
Re: Having just watched “Zulu”…….
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 05:52:17 PM »
It's Black Tree Designs (not Black Hat!) who have been consistently unreliable for years

Whoops!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 06:16:25 PM »
Is it much of a game though, in terms of tactical decisions?

I ask generally actually about the Colonial period. I have men who would be kings. Never played but do wonder?

Don’t the static Europeans stand there and either blast enough spear wielding hordes in time…or not?

It comes down to scenarios. If the scenario lets the Europeans just stand in a line and shoot at targets coming across open ground - then its pretty much just dice rolling. But TMWWBK has an AI to allow this type of battle vs the endless hordes.

Good scenarios balance objectives and cover and movement with shooting. The Colonial forces certainly didn’t always have it their own way - in the Zulu War it was only once the British committed serious troop numbers that they won (which was similar to the Sudan)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 06:22:29 PM »
I'd go with the Perry set if you're looking at plastics as they're better sculpts:

I would agree, the Perry ones are better. However, the OP mentioned kneeling figures. The Warlord Games box has them, the Perry one does not. Of course, you could always buy a pack of Perry kneeling Brits from their metal range, if you don't mind the extra expense.

There's not much wrong with the Warlord ones to my mind, it's just that the Perry ones are a bit nicer.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 06:38:55 PM »
I would agree, the Perry ones are better. However, the OP mentioned kneeling figures. The Warlord Games box has them, the Perry one does not. Of course, you could always buy a pack of Perry kneeling Brits from their metal range, if you don't mind the extra expense.

That's what I've done with my Sudan stuff. Thing is, the kneeling miniatures seem to be in a much more natural pose than the plastics- even taking into account the expertise the Perry 's display when it comes to human anatomy.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 06:48:32 PM »
Don't overlook Khurasan Miniatures range: https://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/late-nineteenth-century.html

Sure, 15 mm, but more affordable than larger scales and allows so much more room on your gaming table (or using a much smaller table).  If you do go the 15 mm route, and no idea on current availability, check out this review: http://rabuck.blogspot.com/2012/02/rorkes-drift-out-of-box-review.html

Those Khurasan figures are beautiful.  I ordered some stuff for the range but not for Zulu War, just not my thing, will be used in my Slightly Cracked Colonials (a mix of Scramble for Africa and Pulp with a sense of humor tossed in).

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 09:12:29 PM »
You should also watch "Zulu Dawn" and the TV series "Shaka Zulu" for further inspiration.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 10:49:47 PM »
Any good colonial Victorian set must have plentiful scope for the native forces to use ambushes, off-table flank marches, hidden wadis or dongas, running out of ammunition, being caught in column and not yet deployed, jammed MGs. The regulars don't have it all their own way (I speak feelingly, following a recent trouncing).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 01:21:50 AM by FierceKitty »
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 11:16:55 PM »
Many, many thanks to all who have responded to my queries. Have really enjoyed reading all the replies! Decision time approaches…..

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2023, 11:34:14 PM »
I would echo the advice about finding an imaginative scenario that isn't just a set piece, since hindsight allows us to realise the best way for the British (and allied troops) to win is to form up a static defence and cover the flanks. We're used to thinking the Zulus were very successful in the early stages of the war, with a series of victories or at least indecisive battles against the British, but actually they suffered extremely heavy casualties, much more than they inflicted. It took an enormous advantage in numbers, surprise, tactical incompetence in their opponents and/or sheer luck for the Zulus to achieve success. If you can devise battles that allow a chance for either side to meet imaginative victory conditions beyond just a meat-grinder, that will probably give the most fun games.

Have the scouts spotted the enemy in time? Does the water level in the river allow for fording? Will it change during the course of the battle? Will the relief column arrive in time? Where's the damn ammunition wagons? Are the irregular troops going to stick around? Does the topography of the battlefield show ALL the troops in attack range? Are the flanks going to be turned off-table? What is the fatigue level of the combatants? All these factors and many more affected the course of engagements during the Zulu War and can be replicated with random dice rolls and such.

I wouldn't know where to start really in advising good literature, but you can't go wrong with anything by Ian Knight or Mike Snook.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2023, 09:23:17 AM »
Sardoo I compiled this exact scene some years ago using mainly Perry and Empress miniature figures. I think the dead and wounded Zulus were from Foundry.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2023, 11:45:57 AM »
Is it much of a game though, in terms of tactical decisions?

I ask generally actually about the Colonial period. I have men who would be kings. Never played but do wonder?

Don’t the static Europeans stand there and either blast enough spear wielding hordes in time…or not?

If all you play is the typical encounter style wargame then yes the Europeans generally stand around and just shoot battles like that are rare in history though. In colonial gaming you need imo to take into account things like the terrain and the local environments affect on European troops.Also not every native was a guy with a pointy stick. Just thinking about Africa which is my area of interest a few examples I can think of that get away from Europeans in square gunning down helpless natives with sticks are

The Basotho of South Africa who reinvented themselves as mounted riflemen after encounters with the Boers. Several thousand gun armed men on horses skirmishing with firearms caused both the British and Boers some difficulty

The Bapedia of South Africa who worked as labourers for the Boers and British to make money to buy guns. When they finally came to conflict with the British 1879 they were defending mountain villages surrounded by trenches and rifle pits and almost every warrior had a gun.

The Ashanti wars were fought mostly in thick jungle where you couldn't even see the enemy. Wolseley noted that even British regulars in those circumstances just fired blindly in the bush as fire discipline broke down. The fighting was generally at close range. Disease was also an issue in some of the early wars disease killed more British soldiers than the Ashanti did.

The Portuguese attempts to deal with the Zambezi Prazeros and their Chikunda slave soldiers  in the 1860s saw them deploy regulars from Portugal in several failed expeditions. The Europeans were ravaged by sickness and frequently out manoeuvred in the close terrain by the musket armed Chikunda. What ever advantages were enjoyed by the European troops were taken away by their poor physical condition and the terrian.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 11:47:31 AM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2023, 02:29:17 PM »
Sardoo I compiled this exact scene some years ago using mainly Perry and Empress miniature figures. I think the dead and wounded Zulus were from Foundry.

Many thanks for this, Mike1879!

Your work is first class and if I get even near to your standard I will be very happy.

Heading to Foundry now to look for Zulus!

Thanks for the help and inspiration!

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 04:15:47 PM »
Having considered all the very helpful advice, I'm thinking that a combination of the various manufacturers' figures would be the way forward.

Consequently, as it appears that Empress and Perry figures would work together as they appear to be very similar in scale I was wondering if anyone could advise how the Warlord British Line infantry figures would fit with them? Too small, too big, just right?

Again, grateful thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2023, 04:57:25 PM »
The Warlord Rorke's Drift boxed set comes with both metal and plastic figures. The plastic ones are Warlord, the metal ones are Empress. So clearly they think they are compatible. And honestly, I don't think I'd argue with them.

I don't foresee much trouble using all three together.

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2023, 06:43:46 PM »
That was, literally, the perfect answer to my question!

Thanks!