Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Good bye to all that 2022.....  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Good bye to all that 2022.....
« on: December 27, 2022, 03:29:48 PM »
So long 2022, we hardly knew ya'! 

A personal hobby retrospective:
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2022/12/random-close-of-year-retrospective-of.html

I was pretty happy to finish off all the major projects I started in 2022, including an Ancient Persian Army, a Dark Age Irish army, a Corsair Kill Team, 2 Trireme fleets, and my Korean Air War forces.  I painted about 345 minis in 2022.

I also managed a decent amount of publishing too!   

So, how did you do?  How many minis painted, games played, new games tried, etc? 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Good bye to all that 2022.....
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 09:46:24 PM »
Since you asked, I painted 123 28mm figures, a WW2 Puma armored car, and a WW2 US AT gun.  I played in or ran about 45 games with my regular gaming group, and about a dozen more at cons.  Tried 5 new rule sets:  Congo, Bloody Big Battles, BOHICA, Liberty or Death, and Pulp!.
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 10:39:59 PM »
I got a new real grown-up daytime job and decided to mothball the painting business. Ended up keeping it going at a reduced level on the side as a hobby and also a bit of cash top-up.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 10:47:18 PM »
I finished 214 minis, and uncalculated amount of terrain built and painted, and started working in earnest on three new games I'll be selling in the future.

I played perhaps 50-60 games, so not bad at all - though often in spurts (4-5 games in a weekend...then nothing for a month or two).

Re-organized the game garage, bought more storage boxes and shelves.

The biggest thing was selling off heaps of 40K stuff - and turning all that money into other projects.  It's fun to sell five figures and buy 60.  Actually I've sold off a ton of unnecessary stuff, stuff I'm not going to build/paint, stuff I've had sitting around forever...even threw some stuff out.  Gotta clear out the mental cobwebs caused by so much crap (weirdly my grandmother's death spurred on a lot of this - as seeing how much crap someone can have in a house when they pass....made me want to streamline a lot of stuff in my life!)

Sadly I only attended one convention this year, and will strive to do several next year.

Overall - hobbywise, I can't complain about 2022.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 10:20:45 AM »
Hobby has mostly been on hold whilst relocating to Canada... Still, got a bunch of figures prepped (albeit I think I have only painted about 10 figures), and the 5.5 month wait to get my stuff atleast gave me chance to think about revisiting old projects and start new ones (including a local history project for 28mm AWI - focusing on actions in and around Novs Scotia, PEI and what would become New Brunswick)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 11:03:32 AM »
Bought a fair bit, painted a fair bit less than that. Played more games than I anticipated and surprised myself by falling back into the clutches of GW through the Horus Heresy.

Gaming has been a mix of playing with established groups and good friends as well as randos at the local game store via a Horus Heresy narrative league.

No conventions attended but that will change in about a month when Cancon rolls around.

My publishing output remains consistent but I did playtest a couple of very promising sets of rules which was both fun and instructive.

Some gaming with the Little Fish who continue to enjoy 40k, Team Yankee and Dragon Rampant.

Overall, hobby-wise not bad, and am more and more sold on early retirement in a couple of years in which I will attempt to scale the lead mountain.

Outside gaming I managed to keep up my cricket and was smashed for the biggest 6 I have conceded in about 40 odd years of playing and in so doing found out what the local semipro baseball team does in the off season. On a more positive note, took 4/11 last weekend so not quite ready to give it away yet.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 11:26:35 AM »
2022 was an interesting year for me.

At the very start of it, February perhaps, I simultaneously abandoned three projects I'd been working on since the Autumn of '21.

Firstly, I abandoned a Biblical skirmish project set in the time of King Saul of Israel. Secondly, I abandoned a Victorian-era skirmish project set in the shared literary universe of Arthur Machen and Robert E. Howard. Thirdly, I abandoned an attempt to play a Pride and Prejudice themed version of The Silver Bayonet. I'm not really sure why I abandoned these projects, other than feeling like I'd fallen out of love with the idea of them.

After that moment, I started toying with the idea of playing fantasy micro-skirmishes in dungeon chambers, but I didn't really do anything about it because I was busy with an epic house move.

During the summer, just before the house move (sometime in mid-August) I threw a collection of hundreds of 90mm scale pre-painted PVC figures I had collected between 2011 and 2015 in a public bin. The collection had become a huge mental as well as physical burden to me, and had already moved house with me once before. I didn't want to move with it again, so I chucked it all away in one go. A colossal waste, of course, but I just couldn't deal with it anymore. If I could turn back the clock, I would have dealt with this in June or July, and would had advertised the collection for free on Facebook Marketplace. I wasn't aware back then just how easy it was to shift free stuff on there.

Once the house move was complete in September, I took up the brush again and poured all my energy into painting miniatures for the previously mentioned "micro-skirmishes in dungeon chambers" idea. By the end of November I was utterly spent and wanted nothing more to do with it. A very sudden "falling out of love" experience once again. I sold most of it on eBay (for the usual pittance I make on there these days) and threw the remaining bits in the bin.

Since then I've just been "drifting", unsure what to do. I experimented with a few more ideas, but aborted those too.

Presently I have three new ideas that I'm going to pursue in 2023, and hopefully I'll actually get somewhere with them, but knowing my track record, you should probably read that with a pinch of salt, as they say!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 06:14:00 PM by tikitang »
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 01:04:22 PM »
2022 seems have been a bit quiet hobbywise for me.

My Greek hoplites got a run out which prompted a minor reorganisation/rebasing and a few extras painted up.

I started a book faithful Middle Earth Isengard army with one unit completed but it seems to have stalled a bit at the moment.

For 2023 Xenos Rampant’s suitability for WW1 has rekindled my enthusiasm for this period. I have painted Late War German, British armies and a Russian army so contemplating a Austria-Hungarian army to pit against my Russians. I feel XR will work particularly well for the Early WW1 and Eastern Front.

The above renewed interest in WW1 prompted me to finally read my copy of “Boer War to World War” by Spencer Jones. He argues that the second Boer War gave the British a rude awakening to dealing with foes with modern magazine rifles and artillery enough to enable them to be better prepared for the opening battles of 1914 and stave off disaster. That’s a very simplistic summary but it also prompted me to delve further into the Boer War. I am surprised this period doesn’t attract more wargaming attention being scenario rich with balanced yet contrasting opposing sides. So this period maybe another project I pursue in 2023.

May also try XR for WW2. I was introduced to Chain of Command earlier this year which I liked a lot. So I expect we will stick with it for now. However as gaming opportunities are few at the moment, the ease of essentially one rule system for all periods is quite appealing.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 01:13:19 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 02:46:23 PM »
I've been on a bit of a hobby renaissance since about 2016. However, 2022 was one of the lighter years for painting...but a great year for gaming.

On the painting front, I completed:
* Two 1/72 Dragon Rampant Warbands
* Two Blood Bowl Teams
* Three Blitz Bowl Teams
* Two Blitz Bowl Referees
* Two Blitz Bowl Big Guys
* One DungeonBowl Team
* DungeonBowl chests and portals
* One Silver Bayonet Warband
* Two Silver Bayonet Outbuildings

For Gaming, I was able to get in games of:
* Masters of the Universe Battlegrounds
* Dragon Rampant
* Anno Domini 1666
* Gaslands
* DungeonBowl
* Hosted a Blitz Bowl event
* Participated in two seasons of the local Blood Bowl league
* Attended four Blood Bowl tournaments, to include Chaos Cup in Chicago

I have two years left in this little renaissance period, so have quite a bit to get done in 2023.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 03:15:45 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 01:42:47 PM »
Happy New Year to all!

I finished the year with 41 miniatures games in my log book.  In pursuit of a different LAF quesion a couple of weeks ago, I looked over all my logs back to the time I started keeping them, in 1999, and calculated that I’ve had 33/year on the average, so it was an above average year.  :D

I also finished 173 figures of 1/72 scale or larger, plus a handful of 6mm figures.  That’s more than last year, but would suggest that some caution in adopting new projects might be in order; I’m looking at a minimum of ~90 to get two One Hour Wargames Franco-Prussian War toy soldier armies on the table for a first run.  That would be a significant chunk of 2023 if the numbers stay about the same.

It wasn’t a great year for trying new rules. I would note that isn’t a particular goal, but might be this year, as I’ve got a shelf of rules I’ve acquired and would like to try.  I did get a Five leagues from the Borderlands solo campaign started, and my sons and I played several games with the rules from Neil Thomas’s Wargaming Nineteenth Century Europe (using the elder’s collection).

I’ve been inspired the past month or so to revive a dormant 16th century project, so I finished out the year by getting some 40mm home cast pikemen ready for priming yesterday.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 08:24:28 PM »
2022 was a good year for the hobby. 120 figs painted and 22 games either played in or hosted. The biggest highlight was finally getting my Bugman's Lament campaign on the table.Played through it twice, once as the game master/ref for two friends and once more with my daughter.

For 2023 I'd like to up my average to 15 figs painted per month and complete my Frostgrave table and run the Thaw of the Liche Lord campaign.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 12:56:42 PM »
my 'Pony Wars' project really hit he buffers in April '22. I'm hoping to resurrect it by that time this year.

???

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 01:47:43 PM »
I usually set a goal for myself each year of 100 28mm miniature equivalents to paint, but I regret to admit that my tally for 2022 reached a disappointing 61 miniatures... ::)

I could go on about reasons and explanations (and there has been some really pressing real life stuff in the way last year), but I wont.

Instead; I'll focus on getting up to 100 again this year and I'm happy to report I'm exactly on track with 1 miniature painted halfway week 1 :D

However; I do plan on finishing my jungle/moderate climate table in Q1 of this year, plus the terrain pieces that go with it. And I'll hopefully be able to compete in the Build Something competition this year again as well :)

Here's to hoping everything goes as planned...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2023, 03:56:13 AM »
Too many RL issues dragged over from 2021. Managed to paint 56 figures in the early portion of 2022 which was better than 2021's none - so trending up. Random occasional in person gaming started up which along with almost weekly virtual gaming made for a much better year from that perspective.  Hope 2023 is a better year in all regards.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;