Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:05:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which war?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: Which war?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 12:47:14 AM »
SYW for mine. Inexhaustible interest, and the big five are pretty well balanced, with enough individual strengths to keep it lively. Arguably the war that did the most to shape the modern world.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 11:56:50 AM »
I'd go SYW / Austrian War of Succession (which are pretty much inter-changeable uniform wise).

I came the other way - SYW to Napoleonics and I'm very happy having both - they are very different tactically if you ignore the a-historical possibility of column of attack and square (which certain gamers employ 'because they could' rather than playing 'what they did'); don't make it make it a Napoleonic game in different uniforms. Historically, it's linear, linear, linear and it plays wonderfully (and differently from Napoleonics) as such.

The mix of infantry / cavalry is also much more balanced than Napoleonics - if you like painting cavalry (as I do) you'll love it. Talking of painting, the uniforms are less complex than Napoleonics with fewer belts, especially if you choose your figures carefully (having piled their packs, etc.). Even so, they really do look good. I went Austrian/ Prussian / Russian.

I have a number of periods now and it's still my favourite because it plays so well. No squares, no skirmish companies - just long lines of units in line. It's so simple the rules actually work most of the time. I can't recommend it enough - though I do try.

Finally, just as a BTW. You also have the option to do this as a 'imagi-Nation' period and make up two (or more) sides to your own tastes. As I get older this becomes more and more appealing but, too late for me. I'm going to do Far East dark ages for this - kinda, Back of Beyond meets the Water Margin.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:58:56 AM by olicana »

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 12:39:51 PM »
Olicana is spot on and with the wonderful Kronoskaf site all the hard work is done for research into armies, uniforms, flags, campaigns, orders of battle, commanders, etc.

Picking smaller nationalities and light troops can give you your way in before you dive headlong into the rank and file of the big nations like Prussia.

There are loads of rules from the very accessible honours of war by Osprey to more complex and detailed larger scale set which you can build units up to by painting more.

Dip your toe in and see .

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 01:43:14 PM »
SYW (and WAS) for me as well and I can only echo Olicana's comments. 
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 09:13:31 PM »
If you follow the broadly general consensus of Seven Years War then look into the 10 mm range through Old Glory 25s, the former Magnificent Little Soldier Company (still labelled as such for some I bought in the last year or so).  Or you can look at Irregular Miniatures as well.  There are more options than just Pendraken - though Pendraken are fine.  Not sure those ranges will work together very well though but could probably have separate units on the table at the same time, depends on how much of a 'purist' you are.

The Old Glory stuff is Austrian and Prussian but you can dip into some of the similar ranges to expand your options like AWI, etc.  I think Irregular may actually have more options than Pendraken!  Could be wrong on that front.  Irregular probably closer to 12 mm.

One nice aspect of 10 mm is you can use 6 mm buildings to excellent effect.

As to rules, my go to set is Rank and File, easy to learn, easy to play, good results, etc.  There is a Very New discussion group for the rules: https://groups.io/g/Rank-and-File-wargaming-rules/topics.  Rules are available as a PDF with various free PDF supplements available - especially the QRS, published by Crusader Publishing https://crusaderpublishing.com.  Last check, you can still get a hard copy of the rules through Old Glory.  Not sure if OG UK has stock for the 10 mm and the rules but I'd guess they'd work with you if you want to go that way.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 12:28:41 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Cerdic

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2024, 05:43:30 PM »
Cheers for all the info, guys! I’m off to do a bit of reading…