Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:09:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Who needs enemies with friends like this- Team Yankee project in 1/100  (Read 12886 times)

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
Re: Who needs enemies with friends like this- Team Yankee project in 1/100
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 08:20:21 PM »
Nice job so far.  Love the tanks!  Well done!
Thank you! To be honest, 15mm is not my favourite scale to sculpt- it is simply too small!

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 08:30:46 PM »
A small company of T-72s (the full company was 10, this is 7). They were painted like the T-64s, I just used different greens.

The marking was a bit tricky, in peacetime the MN used the same system of three digit numbers as the Soviets and sometimes unit markings (small geometrical shapes next to the numbers). National insignia was intended to be used only in wartime- in the peaceful reality on parades and Warsaw Pact international maneuvers. But in that latter cases sometimes the rest of the markings were removed.

I wanted numbers and national insignia too, so I took inspiration from post-1989 painting schemes where national insignia is commonly used (just not this red star shaped one but a red-white-green arrow used during ww2 on planes). There is a great variety on where exactly place the markings to, the turret of the T-72 is pretty messy, lacking flat vertical surfaces, so sometimes the numbers were added onto the turret boxes, or even onto the rubber sideskirts.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2023, 06:37:05 PM »
Excellent stuff!  I'm really looking forward to seeing this project progress.  Are you planning to do some of the more esoteric vehicles such as the FUG or PSzH IV?
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2023, 08:30:36 PM »
Excellent stuff!  I'm really looking forward to seeing this project progress.  Are you planning to do some of the more esoteric vehicles such as the FUG or PSzH IV?
Thanks! The most important now is to paint everything I have, then buy those stuff I need and still do not have (Gophers, Shilkas, Grad, 2s1 and 2s3). Then could come the more esoteric things where I need to scratchbuild.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2023, 09:56:17 PM »
Thanks! The most important now is to paint everything I have, then buy those stuff I need and still do not have (Gophers, Shilkas, Grad, 2s1 and 2s3). Then could come the more esoteric things where I need to scratchbuild.

Have you seen BPM's FUG and PSzH models?  They're excellent (particularly if you get the new-fangled resin-printed versions).  I've got a load of their SKOT variants and really like them.

QRF also do the FUG and PSzH, but I think they're out of production at the moment.

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2023, 11:00:05 PM »
Have you seen BPM's FUG and PSzH models?  They're excellent (particularly if you get the new-fangled resin-printed versions).  I've got a load of their SKOT variants and really like them.

QRF also do the FUG and PSzH, but I think they're out of production at the moment.

Wow, thanks, not yet. I will check them.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2023, 01:43:43 AM »
Wow, thanks, not yet. I will check them.
:D

Here you go.  Note that you want the standard turretless FUG for the Hungarians, not the turreted OT-65A used by the Czechs.  Note also that BPM tend to use the old-style filament prints for the catalogue photos, which is a shame as the resin-printed models are far better than the ones shown:

https://www.butlersprintedmodels.co.uk/15mm/15mm/post-ww2/15mm/post-ww2/other-nations/fug-15mm.html

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2023, 05:14:01 PM »
Nice, thanks! I have them in 1/35, but not built yet. Maybe the NBC-version of the FUG is still in service.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2023, 06:52:06 PM »
Nice, thanks! I have them in 1/35, but not built yet. Maybe the NBC-version of the FUG is still in service.
Good question.  Some sources say that Hungary still has some, while others say not.  They've possibly still got some in deep war reserve stocks somewhere, hence their inclusion on some lists, but they don't seem to be in use.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2023, 02:47:28 AM »
I'd dearly love an affordable PSzH IV in some sort of 28mm. That way my NVA can double as Grenztruppen in their take over of West Berlin. The BPM seem to be the only option but the resin version is a small mortgage. Strange choice for an APC given it's tiny carrying capacity.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2023, 11:54:28 AM »
Strange choice for an APC given it's tiny carrying capacity.
In the 60s the Soviets invented the concept of mechanized infantry, this meant that all the troop transport trucks were to be changed for APCs asap. This was a huge task even for the Soviet industry, so despite they usually were a great fan of standarditzation, they allowed every country to take care of their own. Our industry back then was producing the Csepel 344 truck in large quantities, so the easiest soulution was to use this as a base. Which, of course, limited the cargo capacity, but was at least a quick solution.
Good question.  Some sources say that Hungary still has some, while others say not.  They've possibly still got some in deep war reserve stocks somewhere, hence their inclusion on some lists, but they don't seem to be in use.
Went through my picture collection, the pics from the last 20 years are either restaurated private owned vehicles or target practice pieces, so I guess there is none in active service.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2023, 01:49:55 PM »
I meant it was an odd choice for the East German Border Guards. The NVA had BTR-60s and BTR-70s in its inventory, with  more capability as troop carriers. The PsZH IV was pretty cramped and able to carry only 6 passengers.

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2023, 03:17:38 PM »
I meant it was an odd choice for the East German Border Guards. The NVA had BTR-60s and BTR-70s in its inventory, with  more capability as troop carriers. The PsZH IV was pretty cramped and able to carry only 6 passengers.
I get that, my opinion is that as the lack of APC manufacturing capacity affected the entire WP, this was more of a business rather than a military choice, they simply could not get more BTRs and BMPs. I have a book about WP military industry, I will check.

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2023, 09:23:18 PM »
Hungarian mech infantry company. I had to remove the models with GP-25s and RPG-18s, and I cut the nozzles of the AKs to make them to AKMs, otherwise it is just the painting. I also added some copies of my sculpt shown above.
The box did not contain any PKM-s (only RPK-s), also missing the missile backpacks for the RPG-s, these I plan to add later.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2023, 09:48:07 PM »
Nicely done. Always good to see some lesser seen WP forces.