Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:15:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690649
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Source for 15mm horn-helmed Sherden or dendra armor?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Source for 15mm horn-helmed Sherden or dendra armor?
« on: January 09, 2023, 01:03:13 AM »
I've found a couple Sherden (Essex, Magister Militum) but I wasn't sure about the quality of the sculpts. I'm ideally looking for something that would look good with Copplestone 15mm miniatures in terms of quality.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 02:23:37 AM by Philhelm »

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: Source for 15mm horn-helmed Sherden or dendra armor?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 01:58:12 AM »
??? Museum Z range?
I have not seen them in the flesh.  They look like they should be nice figures even if a little chunky.
https://www.museumminiatures.co.uk/greek-heroe-s.html

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 04:59:10 AM »
I’m also suggesting Museum Miniatures Z-Range.
I’m a big fan of the Copplestone stuff, but it can be hard to find similar quality. The Z-Range looks pretty good and I wanted to give them a try. - they currently have a whopping 25% off.

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 07:58:13 AM »
There are some Sherden Guards in the Gladiator Miniatures range https://fighting15s.com/product/bi040-shardana-sherden-guards/?v=79cba1185463

The photograph of them is even recent!
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 10:49:53 AM »
I don't collect 15mm any more but would make the observation that certainly the Chariot/Magister Militum range dates back to the 1980s, and are probably quite small compared to Copplestone. The Museum Miniatures Z range do look nice but I guess what I'm seeing on the website are Digital sculpts rather than actual metal figures.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 10:55:23 AM »
I don't have many of the Museum Miniatures Z series but what I have is pretty much what you see in the images on the site. I like them.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 11:36:23 AM »
Ithoriel, thanks for that. Independent of this thread I'm now interested in the Z range myself. I used to have some of the older Museum sculpts and they are IMHO quite dated by today's standards.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 06:31:13 PM »
I have several trojans and mycaenans from museum "z" range and what you see is what you get. A superb quality.
Has a happy customer i can only recomend them. Their older ranges i dont know.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 06:35:04 PM »
There are some Sherden Guards in the Gladiator Miniatures range https://fighting15s.com/product/bi040-shardana-sherden-guards/?v=79cba1185463

The photograph of them is even recent!

Thanks Ian! That’s actually quite a nice mini. Can you say something about the size?
Is this the old Joseph Ochmann sculpted Metal Magic range? It was quite good when it was released.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 08:47:24 PM »
I don't have many of the Museum Miniatures Z series but what I have is pretty much what you see in the images on the site. I like them.

It seems that there are a lot of suggestions for Museum Minaitures.  They have Dendra armor (perhaps the only 15mm version I've seen), although the horn style isn't quite what I had in mind.  Beggars can't be choosers so I'll keep these in mind.

How tall are they (I mean, are they actually 15mm to eye level)?

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 02:18:33 PM »
Philhelm, the ones I have are around 15-16mm soles of the feet to eye level.

I have to say that the renders on the site made them look, to me at least, like they'd been guzzling protein powder and working out down the gym every day. In the flesh, or rather in the metal, they look more normally proportioned. There again, I'm getting old and my eye-sight isn't what it was so YMMV!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 09:02:07 PM »
If you are thinking of trying out Museum Miniatures January is the time for speculation.
They have a 25% off sale, which they have done every January for several years now (some years they started the sale on Dec 26th).

If you are UK based they used to have a stand at Vapnartak (the York show at the start of February) so you could save on postage by collecting from there. Last year they didn't have a stand, but delivered parcels to the York show for the dedicated cheapskates anyway.

Aside from the Sherden and Dendra, with 25% off it's worth checking out things like animals, baggage, captives and casualty markers. The camels and pack donkeys are good.
For later eras I often stock up on baggage carts and wagons.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 01:08:32 PM »
Thanks Ian! That’s actually quite a nice mini. Can you say something about the size?
Is this the old Joseph Ochmann sculpted Metal Magic range? It was quite good when it was released.

They're about 15mm foot to eye. The whole Biblicals range was done on the same dollies, so is consistent for size within itself, and I don't know the original sculptor, although it may have been Ochmann. The Biblicals weren't part of the Metal Magic range from Hobby Products of Germany. Previous owners of Gladiator may have more information.

Pic if it works...

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 04:50:08 PM »
They're about 15mm foot to eye. The whole Biblicals range was done on the same dollies, so is consistent for size within itself, and I don't know the original sculptor, although it may have been Ochmann. The Biblicals weren't part of the Metal Magic range from Hobby Products of Germany. Previous owners of Gladiator may have more information.

Pic if it works...

Thanks! That’s pretty useful!