Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:56:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Deep wars the treasure of Tobago Fistfull of lead  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Deep wars the treasure of Tobago Fistfull of lead
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 08:58:41 PM »
Great stuff  :-*

Do let us know what adaptions to FFoL you use for movement of divers and sharks, as well as coping with divers operating at different depths above the sea bed.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 12:06:59 AM »
Any house/scenario rules would be great to see. Very inspiring game and pictures have been wanting to do something similar for years.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:43:31 PM by Golgotha »

Offline sunihanble

• Assistant
    • chtigurine
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 10:51:57 AM »
Please share with me as the upcoming VSF rules will include underwater battles.
I sent you a link :)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2023, 07:53:50 AM »
In a strange twist of fate I have only seen this thread today. Yesterday Miniature Wargames 478 was published in which I had a spy-fi scuba article published (actually part one of two. I have been working on it for years...), which uses FFOL as a basis.

https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/miniature-wargames-478/

I’d love to see the pdf too please.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 07:57:30 AM »
In a strange twist of fate I have only seen this thread today. Yesterday Miniature Wargames 478 was published in which I had a spy-fi scuba article, “Warhead” published (actually part one of two. I have been working on it for years...), which uses FFOL as a basis.

https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/miniature-wargames-478/

I’d love to see the pdf too please.

Oopppps! It seems that in modifying the post with the title of the article I have managed to post twice. Apologies everyone (I’ve only just got up!).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 07:59:59 AM by Commander Roj »

Offline sunihanble

• Assistant
    • chtigurine
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2023, 09:43:14 PM »
Really interesting article.
Can't wait to see the rest ( the rules)
I'm thinking of staying in the 70's for my scenarios with perhaps some forays into WWII.
I'm looking for submarines used  for underwater exploration.

Offline sunihanble

• Assistant
    • chtigurine
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2023, 03:59:14 PM »
( deepl trad)
We were able to play the game this saturday.thanks to the players to suffer my whims :lol: and thanks to Philippe for the bottle of rum.

Carlo

Dominique

Eric

JC

Philippe

It works quite well, taken by the discussions and the imperatives of service to the bar, we did not really go to the end but the system is ok,

The interaction with the sharks is pretty good, they are dangerous without taking over the divers' preoccupation, i.e. recovering the treasure or preventing the opponents from doing it (except when some players decide to attack the placid sharks for free .....)

Each player has probed the seabed (on the separate map) to find the wreck. The first player to find the wreck is allowed to dive on the site before his opponents.  The first one chooses his starting place symbolized by a zodiac on the surface of the water. It is thanks to this boat that they will be able to evacuate the gold found in the submarine.

Each player must, apart from finding the gold, carry out a special mission drawn at random and ignored by the other players.

Two of them have to recover an enigma machine (Philippe and JC), two others a Japanese coding machine (Dominique, alone, one player was missing) and two other players (Eric and Carlo) are in fact part of the maritime police and have to prevent the plunderers from taking the gold.

Dominique, with his company, discovered the wreck first. He arrived near the catalina and was able to search it and recover a case of gold despite the presence of an octopus that temporarily immobilized him (ink jet and a shock counter), a great white shark circling the wreck and, later, an opponent in the minority (1 vs 2).

Arriving in a row, the other companies rush towards the submarine.

To my great surprise, few shots at the beginning between the raiders, they even meet in the submarine without any shots or insults exchanged :shock: :)  I didn't know that the nervian raider was courteous. :lol: .
The marine police is not yet on the spot and, in the meantime, one of its troops (Carlo) is attacking the sharks for no reason...
Jc and his Spadons arrive on the site, one of the divers goes to the catalina while the others enter the submersible.they discover the enigma machine

Before entering the U-boat, Philippe is attacked by a great white.
Not even afraid, the terror of the seas sinks to the bottom of the ocean with harpoons and Fm shots.
Philippe and his seekers of wreck also take a crate but remain at the exit of the submarine at the end of the game.

Later on, three crates were discovered by the first company in the submarine, and getting them out of the wreck is not easy, as the enemy divers are there.
There followed some fights around the wreck while the sea policemen attacked all the looters present.

In spite of the difficulties, one of the looters of the advanced diving service (Dominique) slipped through the posidonia with the help of the torpedo and, between two waters, joined his zodiac with a second case.
The sea gendarmes (Eric and Carlo) fight with everyone but without success, one of the sections (Carlo) is decimated by the ........requins and by the looters.
Jc and the Spadons pursue the torpedo of Dominique but without success. He still proceeds to recover the enigma machine, to the great displeasure of the seekers, but the gold escapes him.

The game ends here.
[The advanced diving service inc[/b] is the winning cie/ it recovers 2 gold boxes and the Japanese machine.
In second place come the spadons and the seekers of wreck

It's rather a failure for our sea policemen... We can't go hunting sharks and looters at the same time :lol:

To be done again with more time and calm ( NPOW tournament at the same time) during a Saturday at the club.
Note:
Repaint the divers with different colors to better distinguish them.
Find a way for Carlo to recognize the different D's during the game .......... :lol:

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 04:01:26 PM by sunihanble »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2023, 07:25:38 PM »
Fantastic and very inspired to give this a go. How many diver miniatures did you use I only have a few.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2023, 08:06:47 PM »

;)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 08:23:57 PM »
Wow, this is really impressive!

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2023, 08:48:44 PM »
Fantastic and very inspired to give this a go. How many diver miniatures did you use I only have a few.

Sunihanble mentions Italieri 1/72, although some look similar to the now defunct Atlantic models. Given both are Italian, maybe Italeri had the moulds for a while? In a strange twist I believe many if not most were sent to Iraq eventually and subsequently lost. I can’t remember where on the web I gleaned that nugget of information. It certainly wasn’t recently either. You can still find them though, much cheaper than their 1/32 scale counterparts usually:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/115679368029

I have quite a few myself, although I opted to use miniatures from Stan Johansen in the US (scroll down for the divers):

https://www.stanjohansenminiatures.com/mercs.htm

That Thunderball pic was taken by me a few years ago, but here are some more recent shots from Maidstone Wargames Society meetings (links to the web page). There are a few pics at each meeting:

https://brigademodels.co.uk/mws/blog/2022/01/18/society-meeting-08-01-2022/

and

https://brigademodels.co.uk/mws/blog/2022/02/28/hail-to-the-chief-and-other-photos-from-the-26th-february-meeting/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 08:57:08 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2023, 09:03:26 PM »

I just realised that you asked how many not what. Obviously Sunihanble and my game will have differed. In this instance I used the Fist-ful of Lead: Galactic Heroes rules with some variants of my own and (to finally answer the question) around 12 divers each (quite a few D8 grunts). I think if you used Pulp Alley, for example, you could play with less.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 09:13:02 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline sunihanble

• Assistant
    • chtigurine
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2023, 09:29:17 PM »
Thanks all.
yes it's right, I missed this error, it is atlantic figs.
I used 6 divers maximum per player( 6 players normally but just 5 for this game)
But I guess you can use less, it just has to be balanced.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2023, 10:00:48 PM »
I meant to ask before, but did you use a green filter on your photos? I really like the way they have come out.

Offline sunihanble

• Assistant
    • chtigurine
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2023, 07:33:38 AM »
No, I decided to paint everything blue/green except the divers, the animals and a little rust on the submarine.
The corals are lightly painted with brighter colors but covered with blue/green (at the bottom of the water you can only see the real colors by the light of a lamp)
I put all the elements on the table, spray painted them and then took everything off to repaint  the game mat.
The first two pictures are a little overexposed from what I did, the others a little underexposed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 07:38:35 AM by sunihanble »