Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Armored Rail Cruiser, "The Angry Dragon"  (Read 4660 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Armored Rail Cruiser, "The Angry Dragon"
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 11:50:42 AM »
That’s fantastic  8) 8)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 08:39:54 PM »
luvverly!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 09:28:56 PM »
Thanks for the picture Warlord.  That does look good alongside the figures.  Nice terrain backdrop too.  I need to get one now. 

Those people that build full sized trains are definitely nuts.  ;)

You're completely right about how big they are though.  I deliberately went for only one gun turret on each of my armoured train gun carriages to try to limit its size and power but that many guns will still be dominating.  Fortunately we have some big tables at our club but I still haven't actually used the armoured one in a game yet.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2023, 06:50:15 PM »
Thanks for the picture Warlord.  That does look good alongside the figures.  Nice terrain backdrop too.  I need to get one now. 

Those people that build full sized trains are definitely nuts.  ;)

You're completely right about how big they are though.  I deliberately went for only one gun turret on each of my armoured train gun carriages to try to limit its size and power but that many guns will still be dominating.  Fortunately we have some big tables at our club but I still haven't actually used the armoured one in a game yet.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

I do envy such might trains. Some day I'll have one. Some day.

I really like that first one, with the adhoc MG car. That's kinda what I'd like for my next train. I do really like the super armored land battleships, but something about those cobbled together improvised armor trains really speaks to me.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 07:25:15 PM »
I know what you mean about the improvised armoured trains.  They have a certain charm.  I need some flat cars and maybe one with sand bags.

I assume you've seen the Company B trains, if you decide to expand.  :D

https://company-b-models-and-miniatures.myshopify.com/collections/trains

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 09:41:57 PM »
I know what you mean about the improvised armoured trains.  They have a certain charm.  I need some flat cars and maybe one with sand bags.

I assume you've seen the Company B trains, if you decide to expand.  :D

https://company-b-models-and-miniatures.myshopify.com/collections/trains

Oh yessir! I sure have. I have an improvised armored train planned out in my head using their minis, and I bought the gauge track I have after reaching out to them to ask them the best gauge for their models. (Conveniently Madbob is a genius, and Zaamurts comes with 3 or 4 different wheel gauge options when building the kit)

The next addition, hopefully, eventually, will be the aformentioned sandbagged flat cars. Then, from there, I'll eventually work on an improvised armored train with company B's other kits.

Unless of course, I can find a cheap enough S gauge model train to convert over. Which, ya know, I'm fully open to if the price is right!

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 09:16:48 AM »
Nice.  Those additions sound great.  Don't forget to show us when you get it done.  :)

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2023, 09:07:20 PM »
Nice.  Those additions sound great.  Don't forget to show us when you get it done.  :)

I bought a cheapo locomotive and tender off eBay! Now, should I armor it up and make it part of my current train or set it aside till I can get some flatcars and build an improvised armored train...

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2023, 09:28:57 PM »

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2023, 11:04:08 PM »
A full Orlik style train would be great. 

I built my armoured train all together but making and painting it in bits would work too.

Here's a useful source for other ideas.

Original
https://www.e-reading.mobi/bookreader.php/1019972/Drogovoz_-_Kreposti_na_kolesah__Istoriya_bronepoezdov.html

Translation
https://www-e--reading-mobi.translate.goog/bookreader.php/1019972/Drogovoz_-_Kreposti_na_kolesah__Istoriya_bronepoezdov.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

That's a wonderful reference, thank you!

Yes, I think I will go full armored train. What I could really use is some sort of references on how to scratch build turrets. Im confident I can up armor train cars and armor my pending locomotive, but I'm not sure how to go about building a turret.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2023, 11:41:34 PM »

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 11:32:29 PM »
I thought about this and there are some paper kits that might help with sizes.  Not in 1/56 scale sadly.

https://prmodels.webnode.cz/products/armoured-train-orlik-1-250-made-by-rawen/
https://only-paper.ru/load/zheleznodorozhnaja_tekhnika_iz_bumagi/bronepoezd_iz_bumagi/bronepoezd_orlik_legionarsky_vlak_orlik_abc_25_26_2015/96-1-0-3028

This one has some nice pictures and some links to videos I haven't checked out.  They may have a template somewhere.
https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/railway-related-builds/42845-czech-legion-trains-siberia-1-220-paper.html

Those are pretty great, thanks again for all the references. I think I have an idea in mind and a plan. Since table space is still a concern for me, and the idea of a super long train (while very appealing) just isn't practical. I think I'll armor my locomotive and build a "light armored train" with it, and keep Zaamurets as my "Heavy armored train". Of course they could be combined, but it might be neat to have some options. I'd like to build an armored wagon armed with MGs. I have some thoughts kicking around at the moment. I'd get Company Bs armored MG Car, not the one with the turrets, but other one, if it had a forward firing MG. I still may and just convert it.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2023, 02:03:32 PM »
That sounds like a sensible plan.  I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2023, 11:16:52 PM »
Perfect.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2023, 09:54:48 AM »
Beautiful work on that excellent Mad Bob train
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.