Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Your opinions on Citadel Contrast, Vallejo Xpress & Army Painter Speed Paints?  (Read 6744 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Interesting....so a white primer and then some Agrax Earthshade or Aly's Brown Liquid Mix or something similar diluted?

In my experience that’s the easiest solution. And then you can add highlights by drybrushing with the colors you want. My Nurgle stuff was basecoated white (with a normal brush), Agrax Earthshade, a light green drybrush and a white drybrush:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108985.90

Then everything is just one layer of Contrast paint and some highlights. I have about 20-30 min time to paint at the moment. Max. So I’m really happy with those Contrast stuff.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
I went in hard when Contrast was released and I loved it straight from the start. Great coverage, nice saturated colours, good depth in the colours and the initial range already had a lot of excellent colours.
Since using them I have sped up my painting a lot and I am very happy with the results.
For most of my miniatures they are my main starting point. For most I do:
1. Prime black
2. Zenithal prime with white ink
3. Dunk all surfaces with Contrast
4. Apply 1-2 highlights
Done. Goes very fast and I just like the effect a lot. I use it for bright finishes, but also for darker looks. Here some examples:

Bloodborne

HeroQuest

Kingdom Death: Monster

Cyberpunk

Deadzone

Chronicle X

Walking Dead

Warhammer Troll

All follow the same procedure.
For brighter miniatures I go with a pure white primer to get maximum OOMPH. This works so well on ranges like Masters of the Universe, where you want the bright saturated look. Example:
Masters of the Universe: Battlegrounds

Deadzone
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Wow - they look good  :-*

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Malebolgia is truly a master of Conrast painting  :- Those MotU got me into trying Contrast paints for serious and invest into the MotU: Battleground set.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
They do look great! Part of the take-home message for me is that to get really good results with those paints it is not just a matter of slopping it on - the primer/ undercoat matters and some strategic highlights add a lot.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
They do look great! Part of the take-home message for me is that to get really good results with those paints it is not just a matter of slopping it on - the primer/ undercoat matters and some strategic highlights add a lot.

Yes, that does really a lot! At first I was also disappointed. It’s not just paint one layer and be ready…however, as Malebolgia has shown, you can do a lot with one *really thick*coat of Contrast + highlights or you preshade and then use contrast. Both methods work and give pretty good results. My MotU aren’t by far as good as Malebolgia‘s but I did them while taking a day off and playing with my sick 3year old daughter…it can really quicken painting a lot!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
In case anyone was wondering: these are by far master pieces, but for me they are okay. And they were basecoated by spray, one thick layer of contrast paint (really thick), then a few details like Merman’s amulet. No zenithal priming, nothing. And all with a 3 year Old accompanying me and getting very excited about Daddy’s toys.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Cheers lads! And yes, excactly what DivisMal says...a zenithal primer*, thick layers of Contrast and 1-2 highlights give great results and is fast to do. The main drawback is you need to be tidy, because otherwise you get stains where you don't want them. And it often helps to do at least two miniatures at the same time. This way you can block in the Contrast on number 2 while the paint dries on number 1. Because the Contrast needs to be dry before applying the next colour, otherwise they often mix and give odd results. A hair dryer also helps a lot!

* You can also do this with other colours for different funky effects! Like with a dark purple from underneath and ice yellow or ivory from the top, instead of black and white. This gives a totally different effect and works well.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Here is an interesting YouTube video from Keir at Broadsword Wargaming comparing four types of speed paints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8VwiBV-oJY

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
I watched the vid already Mick and she doesn't say much of anything....depends on the color....not much help....and her advice of 'buy them all' even done in jest isn't really helpful. Overall, even her opinion was to stick with Citadel/GW paints.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
That about sums it up. Granted though: it was kind of helpful to see the application and colour- and effect differences.

Also: good move to let her be in front of the camera instead of her partner  :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
bit of a bewildering range of techniques discussed above (def. going to try Divismal's alt. preshade tech. tho').

But all the examples look fantastic.

And I would say that Mick's first ones, using the 'old' paints, are right up there.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
At the end of the day it all boils down to what one likes. If it looks good & you like it, then it is ok. Whichever method or medium one uses.
I feel that the hobby has became a technical/chemistry exercise. Not saying that this is a bad thing.

I have been painting minis for the past 45 years or so, started with Humbrol & Hales Pactra enamels & oil colour..
and still one of my favourite mediums is humbrol acrylic paint & windsor & newton shellac based inks.
 Having said that, Contrast does have a plus for being a fast effective, bright colours, way to paint.

As a side note, if you want to make your own shades/washes use Limestone acrylic clear sealer, matte medium, flow improver & inks.Mix measures up to one's choice.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thank-you all for your comments.

I have bought some of the Vallejo Xpress paints and am experimenting with them.
Still not sure but definitely worth a few experiments.