Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:27:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: De Principatu Transpodoniae - 5 Leagues from the Borderlands and Silver Bayonet  (Read 15076 times)

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
The project is looking great! Are those the Bolt Action Ruined Farmhouse terrain behind the goblins? I've wondered if they would still work in a Silver Bayonet setting.

Offline Cordvane

• Bookworm
You are right, these are the ruins  from the ruined farmstead from Warlord Games. There will come some more in the near future.

Offline Cordvane

• Bookworm
A short WIP of one of the heroes:
Karim Bey a young and ambitious nobleman who has been tasked by the high porte to deliver a letter to a secret contact in far-away Transpodonia.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Nice, can we see more angels of Karim Bey?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Cordvane

• Bookworm
Nice, can we see more angels of Karim Bey?
As soon as I have put some more GS on him I will gladly show you more of him.   :)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Looking forward to this.  In line with the background of your campaign, there really was an outbreak of "vampire mania" in the eastern Austro-Hungarian Empire (Balkans) during the 1720's.  So on your map, it could be marked "Here there be monsters." 

https://www.ozy.com/true-and-stories/the-great-vampire-epidemic-of-the-1720s/69297/

Below is from the Kabinettskriege blogspot:

"These Serbian communities were protected by militiamen in addition to regular Austrian military forces. These militiamen are occasionally referred to as "hajduk" (today "Hajduci") a term possibly derived from the Ottoman word ""hajdud" meaning Polish or Hungarian soldiers.[1] These soldiers served as border guards against renewed attacks from the Ottoman Empire. One of these Hajduk, Arnold Paole, was one of the first of a series "reported" vampires in the region in the 1720s and 1730s."

"Arnold Paole, a Hajdu and former refugee, claimed that he had been visited/attacked by a vampire near Kosovo, before traveling to the village of Meduegna, near modern Trstenik, in Serbia. Likewise, another Serbian, Petar Blagojevich, possibly from the modern town of Kisiljevo, reportedly died and then began to prey upon his family members as a vampire. In both cases, Blagojevich in 1725, and Paole in 1732, Austrian local government officials responded to the events as a serious crisis. Austrian Kameralprovisor Frombald, (first name, alas, unknown), traveled to the village in order to deal with the crisis. Local peasants petitioned Frombald and the parish priest to permit the exhumation of the body, which after some initial hesitation, they permitted."

Frombald explained in a report:

"Since I could not persuade them otherwise, by promises or threats, I went to the village of Kisiljevo, taking along the priest from Gradisk, and viewed the freshly exhumed body of [Petar Blagojevich], finding in accordance with thoughtful thoroughness, that first of all I did not detect any odor which normally accompanies the dead, and the body except for the nose... was completely fresh. The hair and beard, and even the nails, of which the old ones had fallen away- had grown on him; the old skin, which was somewhat whitish, had peeled away, and a new fresh one had emerged under it... Not without astonishment, I saw some fresh blood in his mount, which, according to local belief, he had sucked from the people he had killed."[2]
The stunned Frombald looked on as, perhaps unsurprisingly, the villagers took the sane precaution of driving a sharpened stake through Petar's heart, and burning his body. [Of course, I jest. Modern medical analysis indicates that such signs in a recently deceased corpse are rather normal.] However, in the borderland between the Austrian and Ottoman Empires, numerous fears regarding death and violence trumped the rational concerns of the Kameralprovisor.

Around the same time, Serbian Hajdu Arnold Paole reported being menaced by a vampire, but that he had employed folk remedies to free himself of its dark influence. In 1725, shortly after returning to his home village, he died after falling from a hay wagon. Almost immediately, villagers began to complain of being visited by Arnold in vampire form. Four villagers died under mysterious circumstances, and the local village Hadnack ordered an exhumation of Paole. His body displayed almost the same symptoms Blagojevich, and the villagers performed the same remedy, repeating it on the four individuals who were supposed to be his victims.

The matter was considered closed, until around 6 years later, villagers in Meduegna once again began to die under mysterious circumstances. 13 villagers died after brief illnesses, and their deaths were reported to Lt. Colonel Schnezzer, the local Austrian army officer. He sent for Imperial-Contagions-Medicus Glaser, who ignored the vampiric assertions of the villagers. According to the villagers, both of the young women who had initially died were infected during their time on the Turkish side of the border. According to the villagers, in the Turkish lands, "Vampires were everywhere, in great strength."[3] Glaser began to investigate the deaths and concluded that the deaths were a result of malnutrition and extreme Eastern Orthodox fasting.[4]

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Fascinating slice of history. 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Cordvane

• Bookworm
Looking forward to this.  In line with the background of your campaign, there really was an outbreak of "vampire mania" in the eastern Austro-Hungarian Empire (Balkans) during the 1720's.  So on your map, it could be marked "Here there be monsters." 

https://www.ozy.com/true-and-stories/the-great-vampire-epidemic-of-the-1720s/69297/

Below is from the Kabinettskriege blogspot:

"These Serbian communities were protected by militiamen in addition to regular Austrian military forces. These militiamen are occasionally referred to as "hajduk" (today "Hajduci") a term possibly derived from the Ottoman word ""hajdud" meaning Polish or Hungarian soldiers.[1] These soldiers served as border guards against renewed attacks from the Ottoman Empire. One of these Hajduk, Arnold Paole, was one of the first of a series "reported" vampires in the region in the 1720s and 1730s."

"Arnold Paole, a Hajdu and former refugee, claimed that he had been visited/attacked by a vampire near Kosovo, before traveling to the village of Meduegna, near modern Trstenik, in Serbia. Likewise, another Serbian, Petar Blagojevich, possibly from the modern town of Kisiljevo, reportedly died and then began to prey upon his family members as a vampire. In both cases, Blagojevich in 1725, and Paole in 1732, Austrian local government officials responded to the events as a serious crisis. Austrian Kameralprovisor Frombald, (first name, alas, unknown), traveled to the village in order to deal with the crisis. Local peasants petitioned Frombald and the parish priest to permit the exhumation of the body, which after some initial hesitation, they permitted."

Frombald explained in a report:

"Since I could not persuade them otherwise, by promises or threats, I went to the village of Kisiljevo, taking along the priest from Gradisk, and viewed the freshly exhumed body of [Petar Blagojevich], finding in accordance with thoughtful thoroughness, that first of all I did not detect any odor which normally accompanies the dead, and the body except for the nose... was completely fresh. The hair and beard, and even the nails, of which the old ones had fallen away- had grown on him; the old skin, which was somewhat whitish, had peeled away, and a new fresh one had emerged under it... Not without astonishment, I saw some fresh blood in his mount, which, according to local belief, he had sucked from the people he had killed."[2]
The stunned Frombald looked on as, perhaps unsurprisingly, the villagers took the sane precaution of driving a sharpened stake through Petar's heart, and burning his body. [Of course, I jest. Modern medical analysis indicates that such signs in a recently deceased corpse are rather normal.] However, in the borderland between the Austrian and Ottoman Empires, numerous fears regarding death and violence trumped the rational concerns of the Kameralprovisor.

Around the same time, Serbian Hajdu Arnold Paole reported being menaced by a vampire, but that he had employed folk remedies to free himself of its dark influence. In 1725, shortly after returning to his home village, he died after falling from a hay wagon. Almost immediately, villagers began to complain of being visited by Arnold in vampire form. Four villagers died under mysterious circumstances, and the local village Hadnack ordered an exhumation of Paole. His body displayed almost the same symptoms Blagojevich, and the villagers performed the same remedy, repeating it on the four individuals who were supposed to be his victims.

The matter was considered closed, until around 6 years later, villagers in Meduegna once again began to die under mysterious circumstances. 13 villagers died after brief illnesses, and their deaths were reported to Lt. Colonel Schnezzer, the local Austrian army officer. He sent for Imperial-Contagions-Medicus Glaser, who ignored the vampiric assertions of the villagers. According to the villagers, both of the young women who had initially died were infected during their time on the Turkish side of the border. According to the villagers, in the Turkish lands, "Vampires were everywhere, in great strength."[3] Glaser began to investigate the deaths and concluded that the deaths were a result of malnutrition and extreme Eastern Orthodox fasting.[4]

Thank you for for the vampiric overview. 👍
Indeed I have planned for some vampires, I hope that one of the more prominent ones is painted soon.
The hajduks got me thinking, I'll build some foreign Militia-Men but I think I will go more for a Bashi-Bashouk-look. But  who says they can't be vampires too...  :D

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
Old Man Creations has some pretty cool figs for places close this “region”.
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline Cordvane

• Bookworm
Old Man Creations has some pretty cool figs for places close this “region”.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Have already ordered a bunch of his miniatures and equipment. 👍

Offline Cordvane

• Bookworm
Finally some more pictures of Karim Bey. I'm not totally sure if the pose looks natural enough, what do you think?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I think the model looks good. Dynamic and full of character.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Looks spot on, love the pistol  8)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Love your Karim Bey conversion.  Fine modelling.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Where did you get the pistol hand from?