Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Burma 1942  (Read 1713 times)

Offline bobhope

• Bookworm
Burma 1942
« on: January 19, 2023, 11:54:29 AM »
New Yr = New Motivation to finish off those projects left collecting dust  in drawers and shelves, and hold myself to some timelines to get things done.

This has been sat for a long time, waiting/hoping for someone to release some decent Japanese opponents
Based on watching too much Pathe film and reading lots war diaries and memoirs.
Aim is to create a "striking force" drawn from 17th Indian Division units for Chain of command games in Feb-April 42. Lots of options for interesting scenarios

Full strength platoon/understrength company of Gloucesters + ragtag range of support units.
(17th Indian is basically a bit of a gamers conceit to allow use of different head gear/uniforms to differentiate support resources from core unit).
Main platoon fairly generic painting/basing so can see action elsewhere with different support options.

Next to sort some Japanese- probably now will be Warlord plastics for speed/ease of purchase, Type 95 + maybe some support- any suggestions gratefully received

And then would like to add a few Chinese, Burmese Dacoits and a of column trucks for some scenarios...

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
Re: Burma 1942
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 12:00:03 PM »

love this, I'm reading a book about the Burma campaign now. please keep the pics coming.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 12:18:37 PM »
Great stuff!

Are the figures mainly the Perry 8th Army plastics?

Good to see an unusual topic done so well - it certainly lets you have a lot of different troops in your force.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 01:34:28 PM »
Excellent!  :-*
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 02:41:49 PM »
Great stuff. Pacific/Burma is next on my list - eventually (wish I’d started there as it’s perfect for smaller infantry centric games with less support like Chain of Command). I totally approve of the unit choice to generate variety on the tabletop and highlight less well known chaps (that maybe don’t get as much table time as other forces).

Even though it’s not my scale I have made/painted a fair number of Warlord Japanese plastics for a friend. They were easy enough to prep, build and convert to create variety. The only thing I seem to remember about them is that maybe one or two of the heads is somewhere between badly sculpted and potentially racist/jingoistic…….oh and I was impressed that they were smaller and slighter than the corresponding warlord US marines.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing your Japanese

Andrew
Balm
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:08:06 AM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 05:08:46 PM »
That is some great-looking stuff there.  Well done, lad!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 05:47:05 PM »
Burma was my 2021 project, so glad to see other people giving this theater some attention. I think you're off to a great start!

I'd agree with BeneathALeadMountain that the plastic Warlord Japanese are the best starting option.  The Warlord metal range can be hit and miss, with some being excellent, and others not looking so great (particularly a couple of the capped head sculpts and the light machine gunner). I have a few of the Company B Japanese for an AA gun and they are ok, but not as good as Warlord. I also picked up some TAG Japanese recently and they seem to blend in well with Warlord and are worth looking at.

If you want some pics of my Japanese, I have some here: http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/search/label/Japanese%20Army

Chris
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline bobhope

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 12:33:55 PM »
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/search/label/Japanese%20Army

Nice table! some proper inspiration right there

one or two of the heads is somewhere between badly sculpted and potentially racist/jingoistic…….oh and I was impressed that they were smaller and slighter than the corresponding warlord US marines.

That is so true, used about half the heads and rejected the rest- some are excellent (if a little large) some less so... size up "ok" with the perry british

Great stuff!

Are the figures mainly the Perry 8th Army plastics?

Yes all Perry, couple of metals but predominantly plastics- really suit the slightly downtrodden vibe

Picked up a box of the warlord plastics off the shelf at local shop yesterday and, as suggested they build up pretty quick and easy, slightly cartoonish and not 100% sold they look "right" vs film reel footage
but decent enough i think,
quick spray and a couple of tests for approach to painting
will need another box to finish the platoon off

Offline bobhope

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 03:34:40 PM »
Small progress update
Run through the 1st box of plastics and couple of support options
Not totally sold on the figures but will do for gaming- might be a while before I crack open the second box

Little car is nice- if a bit chunky

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 11:23:40 PM »
Those Japanese look good too!

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 04:58:58 AM »
Lovely stuff, keep seeing very inspirational Pacific threads, very tempting.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 04:54:52 PM »
Lovely work!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2023, 02:15:50 AM »
They look great!