Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Centaur IV AA (15mm)  (Read 657 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Centaur IV AA (15mm)
« on: February 14, 2023, 01:19:43 AM »
The excellent Mr. Bergman recently released the Centaur IV AA tank, mounting a pair of 20mm Polsten cannon, in 1:100 scale (15mm).

It was not as common in action as the Crusader version, which mounted the heavier 40mm Bofors, but there were a few of them in Normandy. Neither version was much used in its intended role, as the Luftwaffe was not in much evidence in the skies over D-Day and after, but they were very effective at engaging ground targets.

I've shown it here with a few PSC plastic 15mm British paratroops. I haven't yet supplied the vehicle with any crewmen; I'll get around to that one of these days. I printed it on my Ender 3 in eSun PLA+ — the layer lines are much more evident on the turret than they were on my Cromwells, due to all the sloping panels. Nevertheless it will do well enough for a gaming model.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Centaur IV AA (15mm)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 08:06:23 AM »
Nice model!

I didn’t know these were a thing, but it can’t have been the hardest real world conversion to put the AA turret on the Cromwell rather than a Crusader hull. The Crusader AAs also mounted this turret - does seem a very British thing, to have supplied large amounts of AA tanks once they had air superiority!

They seem to get less mention in the anti-infantry role than the German AA guns - perhaps there was less need for expedient solutions?

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: Centaur IV AA (15mm)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 01:54:31 PM »
Lovely model!

Just to clarify the history:  Both the Centaur and Crusader AA tanks came in Bofors-armed  (Mk I) and Twin-Polsten-armed (Mk II) versions.  The Polsten-armed Crusader AA Mk II was the most common, being found (initially, at least) in all armoured regiment HQs in Normandy and later being recycled as a command/OP tank for some SP AT troops.  The Bofors-armed Crusader AA Mk I was found in Corps, Army and Lines-of-Communication AA regiments, as well as a few armoured brigade HQs.  At least one LoC AA regiment in Normandy used the Bofors-armed Centaur AA Mk I.  However, it's not clear if the Polsten-armed Centaur AA Mk II was ever deployed outside the UK.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk