Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Evora the Witch and the 21st Winkie Infantry Regiment (Wars of Ozz)  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Morin84

• Scientist
    • Life, Golf, Miniatures, & Other Distractions
I am catching up on my blogging!  Here is my blog post on the 21st Winkie Infantry Regiment and Evora the Witch that I just finished this week.  Enjoy! 

http://markamorin.com/2023/01/19/evora-the-witch-and-a-winkie-infantry-regiment-wars-of-ozz/

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Evora the Witch and the 21st Winkie Infantry Regiment (Wars of Ozz)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 06:25:32 PM »
That’s actually pretty original and very well executed! Where are the models from?

Offline Morin84

• Scientist
    • Life, Golf, Miniatures, & Other Distractions
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 08:21:58 PM »
That’s actually pretty original and very well executed! Where are the models from?

Thanks - they are from Wars of Ozz Miniatures - available from the following two places:

In the US Old Glory has a site – Wars of Ozz Miniatures.  https://warsofozzminiatures.com/store

In the UK go to Sally 4th. https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/product-category/wars_of_ozz/

The links are also at the end of the blog post.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 08:28:43 PM »
Thanks! Sadly this means a lot of taxes and fees in Post Brexit Britain  :? (At least for me).

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 04:13:13 PM »
Very colourful and very nicely done. They are certainly different from the usual fantasy fare and all the better for it.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 05:26:10 PM »
Great work Mark, I like the Winkies a lot, really colourful army. :)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 09:00:33 AM »
Looking good mate! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 01:33:33 PM »
Very colourful and very nicely done. They are certainly different from the usual fantasy fare and all the better for it.

Old Glory's notion when starting this project right before the pandemic was to try to create a non-Tolkien fantasy world.  He isn't anti-Tolkien, but there is plenty of that, and he was looking for something a little different.  This is not Dorothy and Toto or any of the recent, dark adaptations.  Ozz (intentionally spelled with two Zs) is an earth-based, post-apocalyptic, black powder fantasy game.  The "last great war" ended with someone deploying the madness bombs that ended the war but threw the world into chaos.  After several hundred years, Zoroaster the Wizard arrives from the West and begins to reorganize.  A residual effect of the madness bombs is that residents of Ozz have a color mania.  The game is not dark.  While there are canonical colors (based on those from the Baum books), players can really do as they please with their painting schemes.  I have enjoyed using colors from my paint collection that I don't often get to use.

There are a number of factions, including Munchkins, Winkies, Gillikins, Quadlings, Nomes, and others.  A bag from Old Glory or Sally 4th creates a unit.  A player needs 4-6 units depending their goodness (and cost).

As the author, I am biased, but people who have tried the rules have really liked them at conventions and shows.  They were designed to be bloody and dynamic with an old-school feel but modern, streamlined mechanics.  The system was adopted for general fantasy (Wars of Orcs and Dwarves).  WOOD is a "bring whatever figures you have" system, so they provide the opportunity to breathe new life into long disused figures.  I have been enjoying combinding fantasy figures from the 1970s with newer figures to create my orc and hobbit armies.  I am also in the midst of adapting the system for the Napoleonic Wars, and that is going very well.