Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:57:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help with my 15mm Star Wars project  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Help with my 15mm Star Wars project
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 12:52:10 PM »

Malamute: thank you I’m glad he’s recognisable, I asked my wife but had to show her a reference pic so she knew what she was looking at :D . Whilst most of my intended SW gaming was going to be platoon vs platoon I suddenly realised I hadn’t even considered Jedi! I will probably make my own but I don’t think they’ll work brilliantly in my chosen system so I’m now seriously considering FFoL as well. I’ll try and find a comprehensive AAR I can watch so I can get a feel for it (if nothing else I will probably pick it up to allow me to run multiplayer games at club).

Thank you for taking the time and helping to motivate me,

Andrew
Balm

Check out Wiley Games on You Tube, they have plenty of walk throughs on how to play FFOL. The mechanics are the same with whichever genre you look at, so watching a fantasy game AAR will give you the same understanding as a Galactic Heroes one. Hope that helps. They work best as a skirmish game with 6-9 figures per player. The Bigger Battles set handles actions with larger groups of figures. If you have questions on the system feel free to ask.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2023, 03:05:14 PM »
For your Jedi, revisit Highlander Studios - you can get all of the primary original trilogy main characters (except Llando - Boba Fett instead).  Yeah, shipping is a bit pricey but it is relative.  I'm worrying more about an order out of the UK for some preprinted 3D trees and the problems with the UK post system.  And I don't think the shipping is overwhelmingly expensive.  I've bought internationally for decades and it more or less works out to about 30% of the purchase price now but it has always been at least 20% or more in my experience, small order or large.

If you do buy the Highlander Studios items, they are small enough and durable enough to go in a smallish envelope rather than 'package' - though I'd pay the extra for the package just in case.  Of course, if you sculpt your own, less of an issue.  There are also a number of 3D print options out there now in 15 mm.  Still working on GetOfFenris - awaiting a reply from my response to his original reply.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2023, 04:30:01 PM »
I use gzg for my rebel troopers, as well as for my x-wing pilots.
Untitled by oldben1, on Flickr

I don't have pics of the pilots, but they look really close.
Here is the small cantina I knocked out:

Mos Eisley cantina by oldben1, on Flickr

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2023, 12:32:35 AM »
Malamute: thank you for the pointer I shall check those out. I tend to like crunchy (my opponent would say nearly unplayable games e.g Phoenix Command, Knights of the Air, Fighting Wings) rulesets generally but have really come to value a simple but fluid and fun system so FFoL may be perfect (I bought into Wings of Glory to teach my niece about sportsmanship and now treasure my collection and the fun we’ve had with big multiplayer games at club).

FifteensAway: I have the bounty hunter, rogue and big hairy chap but held off on the Jedi for some weird reason. I need to get back in touch with Rod at Highlander as I have some ideas to discuss with him.

OldBen1: Awesome. I love your work. I do like those GZG buckethead chaps and I think I know the old range you’ve used for pilots - I shall have to check but unfortunately the website pictures of the older ranges aren’t great. I shall investigate I might even have some somewhere….

Thank you all, I’m really struggling (generally at the moment) and I’m surprised by how much forcing myself to post and interact has helped my motivation (the kind words and generally excellent, supportive environment on LAF is invaluable).

If anyone in the South Wales area fancies playing Chain of Command in 15mm (Star wars or WW2) in the hopefully near future please give me a shout.

With luck I’ll achieve something tomorrow and have some pictures rather than just walls of text.

Thanks again,

Balm
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2023, 08:01:54 AM »
DivisMal: I can totally relate to that feeling. I also have that chap clad in Beskar and was considering going the mando way with him!

If I didn’t have loads of 28mm I need to disperse to more deserving owners I would have spent far too much on Legion. I’ve stared at the mythical Highlander studios 15mm stormtroopers for quite a few years but as they were in USA I just put it off repeatedly lol . Luckily my wife is awesome and bought them for me for Crimbo. I’ve looked at some Micro Machines but the scale and prices do vary drastically (although I think the trooper on a Dewback is 1:100).

If you need to check on scales use https://www.rebelscale.com/scale-lists/ as it is a great resource.

Thanks. And yeah. Legion is a terrible waste of my resources:) but it’s currently the only thing where I still buy stuff in larger than 15mm.

Sadly I am not in South Wales, but Hanover, otherwise I might be tempted to start again (I never sold my core of painted characters, Obi, Luke, Jabba and Co.)

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2023, 03:23:01 PM »
SG15-E11 - excellent proxy for rebel pilots.

Gzg miniatures Under the Eurasian 15mm infantry

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2023, 04:12:22 PM »
DivisMal: Never too late to re-start (and in my case re-stop when distracted by something else lol) another project. Luckily I do enjoy the modelling and painting side (even if I struggle against my functionality some days) so ultimately I’m sure those poor dead end projects aren’t a waste of my time just good practice for the ones that make it!

OldBen: Eurasian Solar Union - that’s the chaps, good eyes sir! It’s a shame John doesn’t do unarmed variants, maybe if I get to Salute this year I can suggest them  :D

Well after a couple of particularly rough days I’ve achieved nothing more but I’m going to try and at least get more based up. I get annually levelled up in a couple of days and will probably just ask for more little men so that might help me progress a bit.

Thank you all,

Balm

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2023, 10:43:09 PM »
So infuriatingly I’ve not been great for the last couple of weeks (spending your birthday in bed on morphine isn’t as cool as it sounds lol) but have managed to get enough functionality to tackle my favourite Star Wars universe vehicle the AT-ST.

Brilliantly the Micro Galaxy Squadron series have AT-ST’s in 1:100 which is perfect for 15mm and the first of two is ready for painting after having a new main weapon added and a magnetised base to ensure tabletop stability. I’m really pleased with it and think it looks great alongside a stormtrooper.

Hopefully more to come, thank you for looking,

Balm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 09:43:16 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2023, 08:08:39 AM »
Looking good. :)

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2023, 05:22:28 AM »
Brilliant!!!!

I was missing exactly such cool stuff when I tried SW in 15 (and later in 25mm).

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2023, 08:33:44 PM »
I don’t know why I’m such a fan of them but the fact that they were available in the correct scale (and are a support choice in the Empire Chain of Command lists) was one of the key parts of being able to make ‘Star Wars’ on my tabletop. The other being the excellent Highlander Stormtroopers.

I’m still undecided on my setting but I’m probably going with a base green so it’ll fit my Europe (and intended jungle) terrain sets with minimal additions.

Thanks,

Balm

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2023, 02:50:50 PM »
Just a late update - Get of Fenris did not pan out.  He was willing to reduce in size but wanted to keep 28 mm pricing and that was too steep for me.  Working on an alternate possibility but the proprietor is having health issues so not sure that will get very far.  And not sure if his prices will be too steep or not.  I don't mind paying a modest premium but a 500% premium is beyond my tolerance.  And I'm not blaming the proprietor, they do need to turn a profit. 

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2023, 07:01:44 PM »
Oh that’s disappointing. If they weren’t their (Fenris’) models maybe you can purchase the STLs and find a friendly local printer to handle them instead? I regularly see prints that I think look great but then see the price (or on Etsy sometimes just the P&P) and have to stop looking!

I’ve been drastically slowed by miserable, real world drudgery but I’ve just (in the gaps in the rain) base coated my first AT-ST and a test stormtrooper so hopefully that’ll help motivate me. Are there any examples of vehicle markings on AT-ST’s that you know of? I’m sure I’ve seen vehicle numbers on some somewhere….. I was considering stowage as well (although I haven’t seen it in any SW program/game I can remember) but may leave this as an excuse to buy more in the future  :D

Thank you for keeping me updated Fifteens,

Balm

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 07:52:09 PM »
Stowage yes, markings, not so much.

There are legion players that add markings and I've seen a few modellers add them so if you want to, go for it  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2023, 06:36:12 AM »
So how is this project moving along?
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/