Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:18:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Neo-Soviet Armored Vehicle, pages77 and 121?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
Neo-Soviet Armored Vehicle, pages77 and 121?
« on: January 19, 2023, 09:13:36 PM »
Does any one know what this vehicle is and who makes it? In Xenos Rampant.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 09:25:15 PM by Wildman II »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Neo-Soviet Armored Vehicle, pages77 and 121?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 09:58:13 PM »
It looks big next to those figures, might it be a plastic kit 1/48th or even 1/35th?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 03:25:22 AM »
I believe Old Crow. If they are, they're no longer in business.

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 07:39:53 PM »
Fastolrus and Baron von J,

Thank you for your replies. I'll have to keep an eye on ebay, maybe one
will turn up.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 08:55:39 PM »

I can’t see your images but it’s worth emailing Old Crow as I was under the impression the owner does eventually respond still.

My apologies if my information is outdated tho!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 08:19:17 AM »
If it is Old Crow, here's a link to the way-back machine that shows their products:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120329150118/http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/ocproducts.htm

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 11:34:01 AM »
As others have said, it's an Old Crow model, specifically the 25mm scale Sabre Assault Tank (note the same tank was made in 15mm scale too!). It has had various extra elements added to it as well, which look to be a mixture of Old Crow accessories (fuel barrels, towing hooks, secondary turret mounted on the main turret, tank hatches, and replacement main gun barrel taken from the Halberd Assault Tank), scale model add-ons (Jerry cans, towing cable), and hand-sculpts that are likely to be garage kit resin items (rolled-up camo net and other soft stowage).

Like Ragsta, I was under the impression that a the owner (Jez Plumridge) had essentially closed, but still had the whole setup; so polite and patient email or two may yield some success and Jez can one can be cast up for you.

The full vehicle can be seen here, as the shots you reference in the book are all sadly partials:

https://zacgaming.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/old-crow-vehicles/

And here's a thumbnail I found of the whole tank Kevin Dallimore painted:

Also, whilst in the subject, there's a few more Old Crow vehicles in the book:

Page 43 - Wheeled Gecko Scout, with an additional missile launcher taken from the 25mm Missile Turret accessories pack. It also has a hand-sculpted/garage kit rolled-up tarpaulin on the hood, and a painted bead/round-head pin on the roof for a comms/sensor device.

Page 139 - Wheeled Outrider Scout Vehicle. The turret it a Tank Turret from the 25mm accessories pack, and the turret hatch is also an 25mm accessories pack. The rolled-up tarpaulin is a hand-sculpted/garage kit part as above, and there are various plasticard add-on greebles too, including the exhausts which also have some aluminium body mesh wrapped around them. It has painted bead/round-head pins on the front for a comms/sensor devices. Finally, the missiles look like they might be cut-down from Tac Missile Turret 25mm accessories pack.

Page 153 - Dragoon Half Track. Visible accessories include scale model jerry can on the hood, and plasticard for additional front hull armour and wheel arch-mounted number plate. Modeller's chain (probably from the Old Crow 25mm accessories range) on the front bumper. The turret isn't visible, but from this pic I found, it looks to be the standard turret that comes with the vehicle.

Finally, not in the book, but it looks like more the Kev D tanks can be found on the Hammer's Slammers site here. Pics of the Neo-Sov vehicles here, and the "Western" Mercenaries here.

I hope that's of help, and even if you can't get hold of any original Old Crow vehicles, at least the above should help you kit-bash some close approximations! :)

///Edit: Whilst the Sabre Assault Tank on the Old Crow site doesn't show it, it's quite possible that there were turret options available at checkout, or even included as extra in the boxed kit - so the main gun (visible on the Halberd Assault Tank) may have been an "original" part of the kit, as seen on the blog I linked to above.///
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:42:58 AM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 06:58:23 PM »
Thank you to Ragasta, Inso, and especially Major Gilbear. Your information
definitely went went above and beyond! Now I know what I am looking for.
I have some of the Copplestone Neo-Soviets, but unfortunately none of the
Old Crow vehicles.
This site has some of the most knowledgeable and helpful modelers and
gamers on the planet.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 06:45:45 AM »

Aha yes the Sabre! Always liked that model! I did get a Claymore and a Gladys and they were lovely models. Definitely worth contacting them I’d say.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 03:28:18 PM »
I haven't seen the book or the image, but Old Crow and neo-sovs sound like Kevin Dallimore.
He had an enormous amount of pictures of various Old Crow vehicles on his site. I can't open it from work so I'm not sure it the website I meant.

http://www.kevindallimore.co.uk/

Here's the Hammer's Slammers site:
http://www.hammers-slammers.com/gallery8.htm

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:35:58 PM by area23 »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++