Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rimfire, "Widow Morley's Cafe and Bakery"...  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Murphy

• Assistant
Rimfire, "Widow Morley's Cafe and Bakery"...
« on: January 23, 2023, 03:02:11 AM »
 So I continue on my building spree to work on my Western buildings, and as luck would have it, I have completed another one.

I actually started the idea for this building back in 2016, and during the 2017 Super bowl halftime show, I had a drawing of names of my female friends that volunteered. A friend of mine won "the honor" *ahem* of having a café and backstory.

Originally I had called it "The Mockingbird", but I didn't like how the sign looked, so I redid it, and changed it to "The Bluebird". Very little modification was done to the building, (one of the older TCL laser cut buildings that Knuckleduster used to carry back in the day), and just added "window glass", and a wooden frame around the sign.

Coloring was also done by Apple barrel, and Folk-art Craft Paints, "(Victorian Blue), and weathered with Burnt Sienna and Antique White.

This building adds a bit of color to my town. It makes for two blue buildings, (this one and the barber shop), and now it will be back to the tired worn brown ones that are more common.

Here are some pics of the completed building, (and some other pics also).

And now, "the backstory".....

As promised....
For your viewing enjoyment is "Mrs. Morley's Bluebird Café and Bakery", also known simply as "The Bluebird".
It is owned by Mrs. Morley also known in quieter circles as "The Widow Morley". 
The story around these parts is that she came out west and opened it up to make a living after losing four husbands during the war. 
Husband #1 was Alvin and he died of fever right before First Manassas (Bull Run to you Yankees).
Husband #2 was James, and he was run over by a runaway supply wagon during the frenzied, chaotic, Union retreat from Second Manassas, and was mashed into a pulp in the Virginia mud.
Husband #3: was named Robert and died of diarrhea during the battle of Gettysburg.
The fourth (and final) Husband was Thomas, and he used the top of his skull to catch the business end of a double canister round, courtesy of R.E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia during The Battle of Cold Harbor in 1864.
After the war, she didn't marry again, although she had various suitors and gentleman callers and at least three of them also mysteriously disappeared...
After the sudden disappearance of the last one, a series of ugly rumors started going around the town back East where she lived, and people were whispering that "foul things were going on", etc.. So in order to prevent a scandal, and/or arrest and trial for "murder most foul" (even though there was no direct proof, but rumors are nasty things aren't they?), and to protect her good name, she quickly headed out west and settled in Rimfire.
She is quite the accomplished cook, and along with her cook/helper ( a fellow named "John Smith", that is real quiet and keeps to himself), her small café provides delicious lunches, and suppers as well as fresh pies, and hot coffee for hungry paying cowboys and townsfolk alike. She is well known for her fresh, delicious pies and freshly made powdered sugar almond cookies that she cheerfully bakes for special customers.
The Bluebird is always clean, bright and cozy, and is freshly painted. It is closed on Sundays and Saturday nights supper is always beefsteak, beans, bacon, and biscuits night.  Buttermilk and fresh milk, as well as coffee is an option, and occasionally she will have fresh lemonade.  No smoking, liquor, or tobacco chewing (or spitting), is allowed in The Bluebird.
Rumor is out that "The Widow Morley" may be looking for a feller, sometime in the near future, so all available and eager bachelors should apply.... The lucky guy could be "Husband #5"!!!!

Enjoy the pics!

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
Re: Rimfire, "Widow Morley's Cafe and Bakery"...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 11:03:35 AM »
The widow Morley must be quite the lady!!!  When do we get to see her and the operators of the laundry???
The crow flies at midnight

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 11:33:08 AM »
Well done.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 11:41:17 AM »
I really like the introduction, although I'm in doubt whether I'd ask for more than a meal...  ;)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 12:48:05 PM »
Good looking little building - actual glazed windows!!

And an entertaining, if slightly worrying back story.

Offline Murphy

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 04:42:39 PM »
Good looking little building - actual glazed windows!!

And an entertaining, if slightly worrying back story.

Thank you! I've gotten into the habit of putting in "Window glass" on the buildings in this town. I use the clear plastic from blister packs/clamshells.

Yes, let's not talk about "certain things in the widow's past now, shall we?".... :o

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 05:41:33 PM »
Nice little "mom-and-pop" joint there.  Well, maybe without the "pop", anyway...

Versatile, too.  That could be used for a number of periods/genres in the US or Canada...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 01:03:56 PM »
Very nice!  Lots of character for the town.

-Michael

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 02:44:01 AM »
The town is really starting to take shape.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 01:32:59 AM »
Do the roofs lift off?

Offline Murphy

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 04:26:29 PM »
Do the roofs lift off?

Hello sir!
Yes the roofs lift off, If you look at my post on the Newspaper Office, I have included photos of what the insides look like.  :)

Offline Nighthawk

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 06:43:07 PM »
I'm loving Rimfire and all of the great building and backstories. It's starting to get my creative mojo going to start my own town. Thank you for the great reading.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 09:20:10 PM »
I really like the way the town is growing with fantastic models and also the back stories.  Incidentally, is Widow Moreley related in any way to Mrs Lovett of Sweeney Todd infamy? 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 01:14:32 PM »
Incidentally, is Widow Moreley related in any way to Mrs Lovett of Sweeney Todd infamy?

I bet she is part of a franchise Alan!  lol