Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:48:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2023 McMordain's Shrine of the Imperial Cult  (Read 6695 times)

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
Re: BSC2023 McMordain's Shrine of the Imperial Cult
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 04:48:51 AM »
Wow! Great job (even if the hands aren't red  lol)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2023, 09:52:29 PM »
Thanks guys!

I spent money today on some alcoholic markers which turned out to be completely unnecessary. The markers bought did not worked well, then it occurred to me why not use paints... I have a lot of contrast paints which could work. And it did... I should think more before spending money :(

Anyway I painted a test piece and it looks good, so I will go with that.
Next question is how to proceed. My problem is half in universe one and half practical.
The Cawdor would definitely want to protect this holy find, which means covering it up. But if I cover it, then it wouldn't be visible from outside, which means I also have to fully make the interior. I wouldn't mind that but I doubt I can finish it in time. Also I think the inside would be rarely used ingame.
I could make the wall section, with the stained glass, part of the exterior wall of the building, essentially building a temple. I wouldn't have to do the interior, and I could even put in some led lights. But then what stops a disgruntled enemy of the Cawdor or some heretics to shoot the thing to bits? Or what protects it from some random, unrelated gang violence?

While thinking about this I did a quick mockup to get a sense of the possible size of the build.
Version 1

I like this one better but covering this up will be a pain. Also the intended footprint probably to small for this height.

Version 2

This would be easier to do, but I don't really like the look of it.

Maybe I should go with a middle option... o_o

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2023, 11:20:24 PM »
Well progress was basically nonexistent in the last couple of weeks. I just couldn't get into the mood to build.
On the other hand I decided on the way to build this thing, and today I was able to sit down and start it.

Instead of making a standing wall section, the window will lean into a big pipe on ground level. This way I can build a walled compound around it.
I made the basic shape of the walls, and added a block to one side so I have base to make the living quarters of the Cawdor.

The walls will be concrete with metal reinforcements and I will add a parapet along the walls made in a ramshackle way. The slimmer tube will hold a crow's nest like lookout.

Also I found a couple of small led candles, which I bought years ago. I will seal up the space behind the glass and put one in there. One side will be removable though, so I can turn it off or remove it to change the battery.

This is a test with the glass I made previously.
Tomorrow I will paint the new glass and start working on the ruin section and the walls.

Oh and the whole thing got bigger as I couldn't fit it on a 12"x12" board. It just didn't look good. So it is on a 40cmx40cm base now.
I have no idea if I will be able to finish it on time though...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 11:14:51 AM »
Looking great, looking forward to see it finished. I'm doubting my chances at finishing too, hope you make it.  8)

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 06:11:05 PM »
This window looks fantastic! Looking forward for this building.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 07:36:24 PM »
I made some progress in the last two weeks I'm just bad at making regular updates...

So, I added some details to the window ruin.

It will have more, but first I want to put the wall sections and the big pipe in place.
Speaking of them, I also added a top section to the pringels tube.

I imagine it going up all the way to the ceiling, so there will be nothing on top.
For the walls I first added strips of plastic, then textured the sections with AK concrete diorama pasta, just like I did with my motel build last year. The damaged parts were also done the same way like last time. Cutting out some bits, drilling a few holes the gluing in a piece of wire.

In the meantime I ordered some stuff from GreenStuffWorld, among them a silicon mold for various rivets and bolts. My own ones made with bluestuff will be not enough, as I want to add a lot to the walls. And it will be useful for future builds as well.

And here is the detailing on the building part so far.

Still a lot of work to do... but I'm getting there.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2023, 08:21:33 AM »
Looking very cool.  I particularly like the idea of the stained glass window.  The GSW mold is a good bit of kit.  Works best with milliput or similar putty as green stuff is too springy. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2023, 08:34:32 AM »
Coming together nicely  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 07:54:10 PM »
Looking rather good  8)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2023, 06:32:13 PM »
I'm not dead (yet ::)) but the last few weeks were awefull in regards for hobby time.
Between being tired from overtime at work, being ill and now being ill and having my young nephews for a week and being tired from overtime is seriously killing my hobby mojo  :(
I made some progress since last time (proof bellow) and I will try to make a proper post detailing it over the weekend.

I'm not willing to give up yet though. I booked the next week at work for holiday, and if the dentist does not kill me mentally tomorrow, I plan to spend the last 7 days of the BSC holed up in my hobby room to finish this thing.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2023, 07:51:13 PM »
Good luck mate on all fronts, what you've done so far looking cracking!
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2023, 02:17:27 PM »
So I'm still kicking but I'm also way behind schedule....

This is were things stood on Monday

The two wall sections and the pringles tube secured to the base; the living quarters mostly done, except for the parapets on the roof; the gatehouse container cut and glued together.

I used some small nails to secure the walls to the base.

Yesterday I finished the rooftop of the living quarters.

I added some details to the stained glass ruin and glued in the glass part as well.

As you can see I put down some texture for the base. It was easier to do at this phase.

Today I worked (and will continue after I post this :) ) on the gate and the comms/look out tower. I will also add some shooting positions and the extra level to the walls.
I'm pretty sure I can finish this today or early tomorrow.
The problem is, I don't think I can paint it in time... I will try, but we will see.

On a different note I have always trouble keeping the various plastic shapes that are left, after cutting them, in order. It's always a mess and often I cut up a bigger piece instead of using an already cut of one. Then I have seen this in the supermarket:

It really helps while building and keeps my desk a little bit less cluttered. :D

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2023, 03:45:53 PM »
Very good idea with the organizer.  Hopefully you finish the paint in time. 

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2023, 05:13:27 PM »
Good luck mate, Looks great so far, so really hoping you'll get it painted in time.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2023, 06:56:46 PM »
Looks great. I love all the textures you have going on.