Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2023 FifteensAway JBHU Hall of Worship  (Read 5278 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
BSC2023 FifteensAway JBHU Hall of Worship
« on: January 26, 2023, 03:14:54 AM »
Seems OSHIRO and I are on similar wavelengths.  Though I suspect very different results.

The JBHU stands for: Jamaurie Boyanglaotzi Hensonai University.  The origin of the name comes from James Maury Henson, aka Jim Henson of the Muppets and the ultimate creator of Yoda as seen in the original trilogy.  .  The Boyanglaotzi comes from a nickname for Lao Tse of taoism plus his name.  All in magnificent mangled Latin-esque.  While I know there are Buddhist influences behind Star Wars, I am a full on believer that Yoda is a Taoist.

So, Jamaurie Boyanglaotzi Hensonai, is the 'official' name for the species of Yoda.  Or so say I!  At least for my entry to this contest.  And while I plan to build a 'full' university, or at least several structures for it, for this contest it will only be the Hall of Worship.

Good luck to all - especially to me in at least getting it done.  Win, place, or show are subsidiary to a finished work.  And, of course, in 15 mm.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 10:47:20 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: BSC2023 FifteensAway JBHU Hall of Worship
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 05:03:36 AM »
Remember, there is no try...
Looking forward to seeing what you create.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 07:33:38 AM »
Sounds fun. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 07:35:51 AM »
And I thought I was the Muppet!  :D
Good luck mate.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 03:05:31 PM »
Sounds like a great idea! On the chance I might have missed it; will this be in 15mm or 28?

Best of luck! :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:29:49 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 03:18:20 PM »
It will be 15 mm. 

And for those who know the story, yes, I know it was mostly Frank Oz that did the actual building and manipulating of Yoda but, one, without Jim Henson, no Frank Oz to do it, and two, that Oz name already has a hard to nudge story out there.  So, Mr. Henson gets my nod.  And I also know the way the work occurred, it was mostly a "work for hire" situation which is why Lucas retained, until sold, the rights.  But hey, it will be my gaming world so it will be my way!  :D. And, it's just fun.  Hopefully I can build a model that lives up to the story.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 05:05:21 PM »
FifteensAway: I totally agree with you about the Buddhist/Taoist sources. I can’t wait to see what you do with this. Do you have a 15mm Yoda?

Balm
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 06:49:10 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 05:31:19 PM »
Love the name, and it's a nice tribute. I always look forward to something Star Wars too.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 11:11:00 PM »
BaLM, yes, I do have a 15 mm Yoda.  Might be getting one or two more - though the second one is a remote chance.  But having one is good.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 05:57:27 PM »
Oooo this should be good  8)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 09:51:21 AM »
sounding very religious but then that is the point so this should be a good one...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 07:43:22 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to start posting work in progress shots but I'm going for it since we are past the GMT time frame.  Please advise if I need to move this to a different thread.

So, it all started with this:

I found that toy at a swap meet of sorts - if you can call several acres of selling stuff a swap meet.  I bought it for the ship under the head for a 'debris field' of crashed ships I'm planning for my 15 mm Star Wars gaming set up.  Had no idea what I would do with the head.  At first I thought I would use it as an entrance to some sort of underground haven.  Then it hit me - about the same time that this contest came along - that I could use it as part of a university.  Since I'm an "all hail the great and mighty Yoda" sort of person, or maybe "Yoda Lives" sort of like the old 'Frodo Lives' line, the Hall of Worship just slipped into my imagination and away we are going on this ride.

So, here are four shots of the beginnings of the process.  Doesn't look like much other than the rather obvious Yoda head after I 'decapitated' it from the toy.  The door is a jewelry making piece that will have some of the 'foofarah' removed and become the main entrance into the Hall.  I might - or might not - make it an angled entry.  But I will definitely be working to give a strong sense of the 'essence of life' in the texturing of the build - my interpretation of "The Force" being very much based in nature, why Yoda was hanging out at Dagobah - to be close to that force of nature.  The angled top piece is very much intentional - finding one's way in the force is not straight forward and neither should be my construct.  Oh, those boxes are hollow craft store bits I've had for a few years, have a number more for the rest of the buildings which I hope to build along with the Worship Hall but we'll see how that goes.  Enough for now except for the photos:

Well, one last thought - I reserve the right to change things up along the way as inspiration and potential materials reveal themselves to me.  But the concept will stay the same even if things get less rectilinear which is very possible.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:50:10 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 11:55:09 AM »
Right place, and a very intriguing start too :o

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 12:34:37 AM »
To throw my anecdote into the Yoda debate. If you get to Sint Maarten, you absolutely have to visit this place:

Check out the story of this cool museum by one of Yoda's creators:
https://www.facebook.com/ThatYodaGuy/

My travelog link on my visit there:
https://world-wide-mike.travellerspoint.com/366/

Mike Demana

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2023, 10:40:04 PM »
Forward progress has been made:

This will be one of five bases, each base with one building, for the university.  And it has gained a nickname: Yodaversity.  Fitting.  And, of course, if there are any organized team sports the team name just has to be the Yoda-knights.  :D

All the pieces are drying after getting glued - except the Yoda head not yet attached.  Once all dry probably some additional file work to reduce the harder edges a bit more and then the next step will be some sort of filler, possibly Milliput or maybe lightweight joint compound.  Then it will be time to apply a lot of details before priming.  I did test the floral foam to see how it takes spray paint and didn't have any negative reaction.  Decided I am going to do all five buildings at the same time to keep them all well inside my thematic concept.

One note, that conic top piece in the first photo above is not level intentionally.  One, very hard to cut and keep straight but more importantly, it fits with my overall concept of getting away from too much linearity.

This will be the only base in the contest, though.  Other four bases are in similar status.  Lots of work - LOTS - still to go.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 03:32:32 AM by FifteensAway »