Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690594
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 Wirelizard's halfling wizard tower ("tower"?)  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
BSC2024 Wirelizard's halfling wizard tower ("tower"?)
« on: February 27, 2024, 12:46:18 AM »
So, probably weird fantasy.

I've been having fun recently with buildings carved from pink insulation board (need to start a freestanding thread on that) so probably that as the core of the thing.

Designing it for a halfling, goblin, or brownie magic user lets you shrink the floors and get more details in the same space. And allows for even weirder architecture, generally, than a default human building.

The gloriously weird little Toadstool Brownie range from Fenris Games inspired a trash bash tower two years ago (blog link here) so perhaps it's time to build something to accompany that?

For the rest... we shall see.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 01:18:47 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: BSC2024 Wirelizard's... possible wizard's tower?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 03:45:01 PM »
Good idea to go non human. I look forward to the result.

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 07:54:38 PM »
oh really? You know that Wizard towers have defeated the most mighty in this contest? you are challenging fate  lol lol
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 08:35:47 PM »
oh really? You know that Wizard towers have defeated the most mighty in this contest? you are challenging fate  lol lol

One of these decades OSHIROmodels (pretty sure that was who had the infamously forever incomplete wizards tower?) will live down that story, but this is not yet that decade.  :D

I'm planning a much, much, MUCH more modest thing, probably CD-based and maxing out at six or eight inches tall for reasons of storage and transport.

Will see just how much picturesque Weird I can pack into that space. Probably a lot. The tower is smaller than that in every dimension and very pleasingly Weird.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 05:55:46 AM »
I thought he finished that project before the challenge even started? Or did the wizard's powers already confuse me?

Anyway best of luck with your more modest tower...
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 07:43:29 PM »
Picturesque Weird is always good  :D

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 09:34:53 AM »
...I'm planning a much, much, MUCH more modest thing, probably CD-based and maxing out at six or eight inches tall for reasons of storage and transport...

That's what they all say, and before you know it, holes are cut into ceilings to accomodate the 'just a little bit more' height. Madness lies that way, I tells ya...

But good luck regardless  :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 01:11:22 AM »
Today on my bike commute to work (all my best ideas occur while riding, it's a thing) my idea jelled.

Wizards, as we all know, tend to be considered eccentric among their own folk. The more powerful the wizard, the more likely they are to be eccentric, or just straight up scary weird.

Halflings, as we all know, tend to be considered eccentric among other intelligent races.

So what happens when the halflings spin off a genuine, no fooling archmage, who goes on to wealth and power, as powerful wizards often do, and then decides to retire from mercenary archmaging to his own corner of some Shire where he can quietly commune with demons, collect his regular Skull of the Month Club parcels, and continue to instruct a random assortment of students and apprentices of various species?

So what does a halfling archmage's wizard-tower-halfing-house look like, anyway? How does the internal struggle between "wizard must have a tower" and "halflings like to live in snug low-slung cozy dwellings" play out in a wealthy halfling archmage's mind? Where do the apprentices live? Where do the demon familiars live? What, in fact, do the neighbours think?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: BSC2024 Wirelizard's halfling wizard tower ("tower"?)
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 08:59:13 AM »
A huge warren in a large mound? It'll have the required height often associated with great wizards, while still being underground.

Added advantage would be the ability to cage the demons safely underground, so disapproving, nosy great-aunts (twice removed) can't poke their umbrellas where they shouldn't be.

Also keeps the silverware safe and the neighbours unsuspecting...

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 10:25:18 PM »
So what does a halfling archmage's wizard-tower-halfing-house look like, anyway?

An illusion of a big tower, with a cosy underground home and a dungeon for the dangerous stuff?

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 11:05:00 PM »
Another idea might be a disused windmill on top of a hill that the Halfling Mage has taken over.  It can have both above and below ground entrances. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 02:29:23 AM »
A tall tower for the dangerous spellwork with comfortable hillside dwellings.  The neighbours just hope he doesn't notice them.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 06:59:26 PM »
Love some of the ideas you folks are coming up with, a bunch of which would mean a much, much larger project than I'm currently planning!

Current plan, which lives only in my head and for which I haven't yet done any sketching or real planning at all yet, is a stone tower base that then supports a platform that has a sod-roofed "hobbit hole in the sky", out of which pops a stubby tower/study for our archmage.

Apprentices and servants live in the tower levels, archmage has his cozy "sky burrow" plus required archmage tower, demons and other things that might scare the neighbours generally kept in the below-ground dungeon levels somewhere.

I might suggest the dungeon levels by having a chimney popping up right out of the grass a few feet away from the actual building...

An illusion of a big tower, with a cosy underground home and a dungeon for the dangerous stuff?

It would require more 3d design/digital sculpting skills than I currently have, but I love the idea of 3d printing an entire building in translucent materials then painting it with translucent glazes it so it's almost there but not quite as an illusionary building...