Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Schladming  (Read 755 times)

Offline thestoats

• Assistant
Battle of Schladming
« on: April 20, 2024, 12:01:24 AM »
Hey guys, seeing the uptick in discussion about the German Peasants' War following some previews of the lovely Steelfist Miniatures by the talented painterman, I myself have been tempted by the period. True to my identity as a scenario-based historical wargamer, I've done some base-level digging into the period with some easy-to-access books and online material. In doing so, I've become enticed by the Battle of Schladming, one I'm sure more knowledgeable enthusiasts of the period will immediately recall as the greatest peasant victory of the conflict. However, I, being an amateur historian, am struggling to find accessible sources on this particular battle.

Douglas Miller's "Armies of the German Peasants' War 1524-26" provides a brief description of the battle, in which that 3500 rebels (many were miners) led by Michael Gruber succeeded in making a flank maneuver by night before attacking and routing an Austrian mercenary army of 5000 the following morning. I know from that brief description that the peasants divided themselves into two columns on the march, and used the Austrian artillery they captured on the field to break their adversaries' armored horse. However, I'm desperate for more details of the battle, including but not limited to a map of the area, musters for either side, and more detailed accounts of the combat. Thanks in advance guys!

Offline bluechi

• Librarian

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
Re: Battle of Schladming
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 12:36:51 AM »
bauernkriege.de

a lot of maps (Karte)

Offline thestoats

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 10:36:53 PM »
Thanks for the sources Bluechi, the maps are definitely helpful! If you find anything else related (like sources even hinting at force disposition) then please let me know!

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 08:54:16 AM »
https://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/view/bsb10009366?page=1

Bericht Siegmund v Dietrichstein

Left side Landsknecht, Center reisige (Swiss or/and mercaneries) ,since 1495  was not allowed to use them but allways ignored.....

First strike comes from the left(aft).so he send the landsknechts(1000 men)  up the hill. The reisigen in the center ,canons and handgunners hold position in attachmend only one unit handgunners and Citizen going in a position to shoot....the second attack comes from the other side....they takes the guns and shot the landsknechts...they break......Dietrichstein saves one gun and take new position with the reisigen on the road and shoot back, but the mercaneries and the Landsknechts want money for the rest of the month to stand on field in the evening.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 02:37:41 PM by bluechi »