Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:10:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Devilry Afoot - 16th-17th century monster hunting  (Read 8568 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Devilry Afoot - 16th-17th century monster hunting
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2024, 08:30:41 AM »
Very kewl, love the new additions. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2024, 10:11:20 AM »
more great figures and painting.

love the conquistadore-y revenants.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2024, 09:01:03 PM »

With most of my Devilry Afoot collection painted, I'm a little happier showing snapshots of playtest games in play. Roger came round this week and we got three games played in one sitting.

A brief write up is now on the blog: https://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2024/03/an-evening-of-devilry-afoot.html

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2024, 09:20:43 PM »

Revenants were once men who lived wicked lives and are now cursed with a restless death. Mindlessly shambling through the night, revenants are drawn to the sweet smell of the living with a desire only to spread death, destruction and decay. Unable to rest naturally, the most effective response to a revenant’s repeated visitation employs the use of wooden stakes, decapitation, and reburial with specific rituals.

More details and pics on my blog as normal.  :)
https://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2024/03/more-monstrous-mayhem-for-devilry-afoot.html

Great stuff in here well done!  The Antidelluvian (sp) zombies are a great find…I will have to get a few for my own project, thanks!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2024, 02:48:01 PM »
I've been away, and busy with work, so no painting done the last couple of weeks. Here is another AAR though.  :)

https://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2024/04/devilry-afoot-harrying-scenario.html

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2024, 04:18:41 PM »
Excellent stuff! Love the evil hound too.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2024, 04:47:19 PM »
I’m of a mind to paint more of my own ……when will your game be available to us all fella?

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2024, 02:29:07 PM »
Great looking game.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2024, 07:08:38 AM »
Fantastic thread, just gone through it again.

Wish I could paint like you.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2024, 10:50:25 AM »
Really like the way you've painted your figures, they do look superb.

The game sounds very interesting, I've played about 10 games of P.D. and found the animal activation table quite innovative and this sounds like you've got a similar system at work here.

I'm curious how you deal with ethereal non corporeal beings such as ghosts and spectres. I've played around with a few ideas but none totally satisfactory. Currently they are linked to a place or object and must remain within a certain distance of 'home' They attack by instilling fear which affects a characters mental capacity, will or resolve, whatever you want to call it. They can be dispelled or ignored by the character not being afraid, but they can't be killed.

The problem for me, is that it is still a combat just using different characteristics to resolve it. Somehow I imagine it to be a bit more than that.

Anyway, good luck with the rule set, I  would have followed your blog but blogger doesn't like my tablet, only the laptop. :(
Cheers

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2024, 10:52:45 AM »
Thanks for the continuing compliments folks. Much appreciated!

I’m of a mind to paint more of my own ……when will your game be available to us all fella?

We are continuing to playtest to try and identify any anomalies, but really in the text proofing stage. By next week, I'll begin page setting and working on any diagrams - then finally it will be photography and incorporating illustrations.

The intention is to have a release at the end of the summer - well in time for Halloween!

Wish I could paint like you.

Thank you, but it's all about time ... and smoke and mirrors and photoshop.  :D

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2024, 04:50:32 PM »
What great fun !

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2024, 08:53:01 PM »
The game sounds very interesting, I've played about 10 games of P.D. and found the animal activation table quite innovative and this sounds like you've got a similar system at work here.

It is related to Palaeo Diet, but uses an draw bag activation system instead, so monsters don't react to every action. Instead, each hunter activates once per turn, but has the chance to carry out multiple actions depending on their resolve. Monsters only get one action each time one of their tokens is drawn from the bag, but different monster types have different numbers of action tokens. So the order of play is completely random each turn.

When a monster token is drawn, they then roll on a d10 activation table to see what they do depending on proximity to humans or whether they have been shot at since last activation.

I'm curious how you deal with ethereal non corporeal beings such as ghosts and spectres. I've played around with a few ideas but none totally satisfactory. Currently they are linked to a place or object and must remain within a certain distance of 'home' They attack by instilling fear which affects a characters mental capacity, will or resolve, whatever you want to call it. They can be dispelled or ignored by the character not being afraid, but they can't be killed.
The problem for me, is that it is still a combat just using different characteristics to resolve it. Somehow I imagine it to be a bit more than that.

In Devilry Afoot, spectres don't make physical attacks but instead try to intimidate humans off the table or away from their objectives. They can be banished by successfully quoting scripture or dousing them with holy water....