Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:43:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fifty shades of pike grey- scifi models in 28mm  (Read 23365 times)

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
Re: Fifty shades of pike grey- scifi models in 28mm
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2023, 10:19:38 PM »
Man, do you fancy sharing any tips on how you sculpt folds? They look really natural.

I like him a lot. His helmet and robes remind me of the chitin armour in Morrowind - no idea if you played, but the aesthetic for that game was fantastic, so it's a compliment ;)
He sounds like a monster from the wee blurb - hopefully someone else can put him down and take his cool gear.

EDIT:
Oops, new page. Here's a quote so folks can still see your last post.

This figure started as a failed sculpt, but I brought him back with some green stuff and marine scout bitz. He is a desert sniper, but the a-hole type hunting innocent, unarmed travellers for their stuff.

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2023, 08:32:05 AM »
Oh, lot of ingenuity here, I love it! The sniper turned out very well, I look for more updates of this tread!

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2023, 05:41:31 PM »
Thank you, guys!
Man, do you fancy sharing any tips on how you sculpt folds? They look really natural.
I do not have the One And Only Magical Trick, I just use a lot of sculpting tools from various sizes of rubber shaped ones down to simple needles. The finer the material the smaller the folds- this desert robe is more on the rough side. For these kind of heavy robes it makes sense to take folding into account at the very beginning of sculpting, when you are just adding the mass of material. And always check references when needed, most of the people are wearing clothes novadays, so it is not hard to find a proper one :)
His helmet and robes remind me of the chitin armour in Morrowind - no idea if you played, but the aesthetic for that game was fantastic, so it's a compliment ;)
I played Morrowind, but I always used Imperial gear :) This one was inspired more of the Borderlands games where most inhabitants are wearing weird helmets and masks.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2023, 09:44:31 PM »
This team I will use as a plasma gun stormtrooper command squad as I need one for the army, but they can just as well serve as random bandits in skirmish games. I just went through the bitzbox and built them with all kinda random stuff. Ok, the guy on the left is my sculpt with a Necromunda Orlock head and a marine plasma gun.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2023, 02:26:45 PM »
They'd be *great* bandits - they give a very Mad Max / Fallout raiders kind of impression.

Some nice skin tones on the lady with the Mohawk, in particular!

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2023, 08:58:58 PM »
Some nice skin tones on the lady with the Mohawk, in particular!
Thanks4 She is from an EDEN kit, she got a Chaos plasma pistol as the muzzle of her gun to make it a plasma gun.
The skin tones of women is alwas made with artist oil, its smoother blending fits the job better, the classic drybrushing can ruin a female face very quick as strong/sharp contrasts will make it look male.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2023, 10:14:37 PM »
This flyer is from Miniature Scenery, MDF kit built straight out of the box. I did not want it to be aliged any of my 40k factions, it became this unaligned harsh green with white stripes, this way it is able to serve most of the factions as a merc.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2023, 10:34:13 PM »
That looks excellent! Your painting made the lenses and windows really pop and enhances the 3D effect (vs the usual flat of MDF).

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2023, 11:33:06 AM »
Latest updates looking so dang good once again!

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2023, 12:14:15 PM »
Man, I'm not usually a big fan of MDF kits, but you've made that look beautiful - I would never have guessed.

God damn it, I'm trying not to buy anything new for a while but you are making it hard  lol

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2023, 08:19:08 PM »
Thank you, guys!
Your painting made the lenses and windows really pop and enhances the 3D effect
I prefer clear windows on models, but cutting this one up would have been too much work.
Man, I'm not usually a big fan of MDF kits, but you've made that look beautiful - I would never have guessed.
My biggest problem with MDF is that it is too cheap for its volume, a lot of stuff I'd buy but no place to store them :) This flyer has a bigger brother too, I chose the smaller one and it is still quite big.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2023, 11:41:35 PM »
Peasants for 40k, as not everyone lives in an industrial hive city. These 3 are very old conversions but I wanted to paint them finally. Mostly GSC and Empire Militia bitz, the pitchforks are my creations of wire and toothpicks leftover from an older project.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2023, 10:26:27 PM »
Two Mancubi from the Doom boardgame, they are neat Chaos monsters as they are, I only corrected some casting errors. They came in two different colours (green and red plastic), so I decided to paint their skin tones differently.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2023, 08:54:43 AM »
Oooh, dem's nice.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2023, 08:53:19 PM »
Oooh, dem's nice.
Thanks! They are really simple sculpts by wargame standards, this made the painting on one hand really simple, on the other hand sometimes I had to think where this detail ends and that detail begins. Artist oil is a really great amterial for these kinda big skin surfaces.