Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2023 David H East European Church - having to drop out  (Read 3607 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: BSC2023 David H East European Church
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 06:18:41 AM »
There are foam polystyrene foam balls/ half balls, egg shapes, bell shapes and I've even seen some slightly baroque spire shapes available at local craft shops here. Sold as DIY decorations.  Bound to be something amongst that lot you can make an Onion Dome with. I'm sure you must have something similar local to you.

Another easy method are the plastic finials for curtains. Come in a variety of sizes and useful dome and other shapes. I bought some for a model mosque some years back.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio năo tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeăo mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 07:45:04 AM »
Good luck  :)

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 09:17:33 AM »
I did onion domes a decade ago (!) with turned decorative bits (small wooden drawer pulls, basically) and Milliput for a 28mm Russian church and they came out very well and durable - still got the church!

Unpainted shot that shows the construction nicely: http://www.warbard.ca/2012/01/25/onion-domes-part-one/

Fully finished church: http://www.warbard.ca/2012/02/15/onion-domes-finished/

(one advantage of hosting your own blog for a decade+ - my old projects are much easier to find and share than a harddrive full of photos is!)

Nice job on those domes. The ones I would like to do are quite slim and long so do not really suit wooden draw pulls, but it is an option if my wood turning idea fails.

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2023, 09:20:29 AM »
There are foam polystyrene foam balls/ half balls, egg shapes, bell shapes and I've even seen some slightly baroque spire shapes available at local craft shops here. Sold as DIY decorations.  Bound to be something amongst that lot you can make an Onion Dome with. I'm sure you must have something similar local to you.

Another easy method are the plastic finials for curtains. Come in a variety of sizes and useful dome and other shapes. I bought some for a model mosque some years back.

I have had a look at these, and they are all quite large. I would like smaller slimmer domes.

I actually had a bit of a brainwave last night - fishing floats might do the job!
I'll be Googling them today to see if I can find the right size - anything to avoid splintering my fingers trying to make one!  ;)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 10:41:10 AM »
This looks like it’s going to be a great build, looking forward to seeing it progress

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2023, 08:52:43 PM »
How about wooden beads? They come in all sizes and shapes and most craft shops carry them. I've even seen a dedicated beads shop once...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2023, 08:28:01 AM »
How about wooden beads? They come in all sizes and shapes and most craft shops carry them. I've even seen a dedicated beads shop once...
Thanks for the suggestion I have ac!tually been googling them already. Most seem to be faceted and do not have the onion/pear drop shape, but I am still looking.
I have found some fishing floats that look ok and will order a couple to check size.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 08:46:42 AM »
My first participation in this contest, but I have been intending to build a church for Eastern European games of Chain of Command, and there are some quite quirky shaped  churches from that region I fancy building.
I have a couple in mind already, just need to draw up some plans.

I might just change this for a Spanish/Portuguese church for use in Black Powder Peninsula games, but I think that will be a bigger build than I have time for in this contest.

Great idea!
And true: an Iberian church easily is intermixed with a cathedral;) there are however smaller ones in today’s villages, but it’s not easy to get pictures for that.

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2023, 09:01:49 AM »
Don't ask me why, but I have thirteen eastern orthodox churches in my collection. I don 't do the scratch build, so they are all bought, and some even bought painted, but they might serve as some inspiration for you:

https://www.vislardica.com/blog/2022/9/30/yet-another-15mm-eastern-orthodox-church

https://www.vislardica.com/blog/2022/10/12/just-a-quick-eastern-churchpromise

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2023, 04:40:35 PM »
I have made a start with some scale(ish) plans.
I need to do some basic geometry and work out the roof panel sizes and heights, then I can get cutting.

Now, where is my old school protractor?

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2023, 12:59:24 PM »
I've had inspiration!

My dome issue has been solved  :)

The solution involves the game of golf - I'll leave it at that for now, but watch this space.......... :D

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2023, 03:37:37 PM »
The solution involves the game of golf - I'll leave it at that for now, but watch this space.......... :D

Ah! You are playing around with us. lol

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2023, 10:14:30 PM »
Ah! You are playing around with us. lol

I am just 'tees'ing you  :D

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2023, 03:27:29 AM »
I'm probably too late, but a trip back in 2015 to Ukraine saw lots of wooden (and otherwise) onion domes...

These are from a outdoor museum near Lviv. A Google search will doubtless turn up even better pictures, but I thought since I had them on my travel blog that I'd share them...

Good luck!

Mike Demana

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2023, 12:44:34 PM »
Those are great Mike - thanks for posting.

If I had seen those earlier I might have been tempted, but fortunately I've started cutting for an easier version  ;)