Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tank review (1914 - 1919) What is available on the market.  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Armstrong

• Student
Tank review (1914 - 1919) What is available on the market.
« on: January 30, 2023, 02:51:58 PM »
This is a small "compendium" of all available models in scale 1/56 (28 mm) on the market on the subject 1914 - 1919. The kits and figures will be compared and evaluated. The interested collector will find here some advantages and disadvantages to almost every type as well as an overview to corresponding suppliers/manufacturers. Also involved will be some modeling tips and paint suggestions.

Hello all,

I've been on the road again in terms of modeling and finally ventured to a topic that I've always wanted to touch:

The First World War (and aftermath until 1919)

For this reason, I've been doing some looking around and informing myself on the table top market and hope to post new info on figures and models here from time to time over the next few months (or even years ^^°).
This post should not simply exist to show off my completed projects, but primarily be/become an overview and evaluation of figures and models that are offered on the market on this topic. And it shall be shown by examples what can be made of individual miniatures (despite certain shortcomings).

In addition, I will try to provide the individual models and figures with a rating (or if possible, make direct comparisons between different manufacturers), so that the interested player / collector gets a quick overview of the individual thematic areas and can quickly find the best model for his needs.

The (currently) presented projects in overview

1. mark A "Whippet" from the manufacturer Brigade Games Miniatures (see below)
2. mark C "Hornet" from the manufacturer Empress Miniatures (see below)
3. LK II from Empress Miniature (see below)
4. Garford-Putilov from Empress Miniatures (see below)
5. Mark V* from Scarab Miniatures (will be uploaded soon)
6. Mark I (female) from The Armory (will be uploaded soon)
7. 3,7cm TAK from Great War Minatures (will be uploaded soon)
8. Renault FT-17 from Warlord Games (will be uploaded soon)
9. A7V from Warlord Games (in progress)
10. A7V from Great War Miniatures (will be uploaded soon)
11. Mark IV from Great War Miniatures (in progress)
12. Mark IV from Skytrex (will be uploaded soon)

1.   Mark A "Whippet" from manufacturer Brigade Games Miniatures

Brief history:
The Whippet (British Greyhound breed) is a vehicle of (what I call) the second generation of British tanks. The combat vehicle was designed as a "fast" vehicle to push into frontal breaches to make the enemy rear unsafe. This vehicle already had an engine compartment separated from the crew, which was not the norm for the time. (In the Mark I - V, the engine was in the crew compartment, which meant that crews were usually out of action for up to 48 hours after a mission due to smoke inhalation).

The Whippet fulfilled its role as a "light, fast" tank satisfactorily and was used at the front from March 1918 until the end of the war.

The kit (from Brigade Games Miniatures)

Parts:
1 x main hull (resin)
2 x track drive sections (resin)
4 x machine guns (pewter)
2 x exhaust pipe (pewter)
1 x rear end plate (pewter)
2 x shackles (tin)
No decals!
No instructions!

Dimensions (scale):
Here I do not have any detailed drawings of the Whippet at the moment.
However, the dimensions seem to be correct for the 28mm scale (1/56).
As soon as I have more material available, I will give you an evaluation.

Detailing:
The model features quite good detalization with raised rivets and flaps. The actual features of the original are well represented. Probably out of the thought that this is a pure tabletop model, the front and rear chain safety brackets made of L-sections were omitted (risk of breaking off during handling). Rebuilding can only be done at greater expense.
The machine guns themselves are very simple. However, sufficient for a tabletop model.

Casting quality:
The casting quality is just about adequate. For one, there are several areas where there are unsightly warps and degrees. Some of these are so awkwardly located that it is difficult to remove them without damaging details such as rivets or moldings.
The ventilation slots on the side wall of the vehicle are also poorly executed in places and show casting residue. Refinishing is difficult in some cases.

But the biggest drawback (at least on my model) is the warped rear superstructure. The casemate is tilted to the side and you get the impression that the crew compartment slides to the left side of the tank every minute. Correction here does not seem to be possible.

The limited quality is likely due to the age of the molds used.

Accuracy of fit:
Mounts are provided on the fuselage for the two track segments, making accurate fitting easy. The machine guns including the bullet shield also fit well into the recesses provided for them. Only the two exhaust pipes caused me big problems, because either the superglue did not want to dry, or the resin had problems with the glue.

Matetrial (Quality):
The resin is a relatively light material and quite sturdy.  The pewter parts are pliable to a certain degree and forgive some rough bend.

Decals:
No decals are included with this kit. However, to build a generic vehicle you don't necessarily need them. So basically a monotone greenish/olive camouflage paint is enough. If you want to make your model a bit more detailed, you can apply the white-red-white British sovereign markings with paint yourself. For vehicles with a serial number or special markings you should get decals from other kits/decalsets, make your own decals or paint them on yourself with a steady hand.

Instructions:
Although the "kit" consists of very few components, I would have liked at least a simple drawing for assembly. It took me some time to figure out how to properly attach the rear end plate. I could not find any information about the shackles (neither on the models nor in the original photos). Therefore I left them out on my model.

Price:
For my model I paid 35.00 USDollar. This is an average price for a resin model. Problem is that as a European customer you still have to pay transportation and possibly customs. So of course these factors drive up the actual price. I have not found a European supplier for the Brigade Games Miniatures model yet.

Further notes:

Two-component glue or better superglue is needed for assembly.
To correct bent/warped resin parts, it is recommended to soak the affected parts in a bowl of hot water for a few seconds and then carefully bend them back into the correct shape. This can be repeated as needed.
You should also have a tinker's knife for deburring and some sandpaper for sanding off any unevenness.
CAUTION: Please sand only outdoors or over an exhaust system! Resin dust is highly harmful to health and is most likely carcinogenic! 

Dimensions:
Height: 4.8 cm
Width: 4.8 cm (approx. 5.0 cm with protruding machine gun)
Length: 10.5 cm

Summary Rating:

Dimensions (scale):   - will be added later
Detailing: good (minus)
Casting quality: sufficient
Accuracy of fit: good
Material (quality): good
Decals: - not available-
Instructions: - not available-
Price: good (minus)

Conclusion:

In general it is a decent model, but unfortunately the warped crew compartment is a downer. As far as I know, there is only one other model with a similarly good level of detail. This is the tank from Trenchworx, which unfortunately are also only available in the US so far. All other known models (e.g. from 1st Corps) can sadly not keep up with the quality.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 12:01:42 AM by Armstrong »

Offline Armstrong

• Student
Re: Tank review (1914 - 1919) What is available on the market.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 04:46:11 PM »
Mark C „Hornet“ of Empress Miniatures

Short historical summary:
The Hornet is the successor of the "Whippet". The war command had decided that a new and longer medium armored car was needed, as the Germans had been digging wider trenches since the appearance of tanks, making it very difficult for enemy combat vehicles to pass through the emplacement systems.  Basically, based on the same design principle as the Whippet (or Mark A), the Hornet also had a detached engine compartment and was intended, above all, to use its speed to push into front line dips to conquer and secure the rear.

Two variants were developed for this purpose. One was the "female" Hornet with machine guns, and the male version with a 6-pounder main gun and machine guns. In both cases the weapons were housed in casemates, there were no turrets. Unlike the Mark A "Whippet", this time the fighting compartment was located in the front, while the engine was at the rear.

The army command ordered several thousand of both variants, but no sooner were the first vehicles delivered than the Central Powers capitulated. The production orders were immediately canceled. The only "war service" the "Hornet" made was therefore only to participate in the victory parade.
In addition, only a few female units were built. The male variant did not get beyond the prototype stage.
However, the tanks were used in the suppression of the Irish uprising in Dublin. Here they were positioned in a central square as a deterrent. It is not known whether they took part in any combat operations.

Comparison with the Whippet (of Brigade Games Miniatures)

The kit (from Empress Miniatures)

Content (female):
1 x main hull (resin)
5 x machine guns (pewter)
1 x muffler with pipe (pewter)
No decals!
No instructions!

Content (male):
1 x main hull (resin)
1 x gun barrel (resin)
3 x machine guns (pewter)
1 x muffler with pipe (pewter)
No decals!
No instructions!

Dimensions (scale):
At the moment I do not have any drawings of the Hornet.
Apparently the dimensions seem to be correct for the 28mm scale (1/56).
However, the casemate superstructure of the male variant seems to be a bit too extreme tilted to the front.
As soon as I have more material available, I will give you an evaluation.

Detailing:
The model features very clean detailing with raised rivets and flaps. The actual features of the original have been well represented.
The machine guns themselves are very sturdy and perhaps a bit over proportioned. However, they are adequate for a tabletop model.
For the male version, the gun barrel is included as a resin part. The resin itself is quite flexible and the tube is already cleanly drilled out. However, I recommend (for better hold) to pin the gun barrel and then attach it to the casemate in the hole provided.
The distribution and arrangement of the rivets is very simplified and only rudimentarily reflects the appearance of the original.

Casting quality:
The casting quality is quite good. The model is cleanly molded and there are no bubbles or degrees of molding. However, for some reason they decided to give both sides of the track sections the same exterior texturing (probably to only have to make one mold).
On the chain section, I unfortunately had slight breakage on the protruding chain segments on my models!

On the male variant, there were also remnants of cardboard on the lower front fuselage panel.

Accuracy of fit:
Detailing the track sections on both sides has its drawbacks.
You are forced to either sand all the details on the (chosen inside) towards the fuselage, or try to glue the running gear to the fuselage despite the structures (which is also what Empress Miniature did on the model on their site).

I filled the gaps with modeling clay:

Unfortunately, I opted for the second solution, which resulted in a warped/slanted left track section (on the female variant), which I could no longer detach from the hull (thanks to superglue). For this reason, I therefore recommend sanding the detailing on the inside or else very careful fitting. ATTENTION: Sanding only outside or with an exhaust system. Resin dust is very harmful to health!

Decals:
No decals are included with these kits. But to build a generic vehicle you don't need them. Basically a monotone greenish/olive camouflage painting is sufficient.
If you want to make your model a bit more detailed, you can apply the white-red-white British sovereignty markings with paint yourself (but according to my knowledge there are no existing photos of such a variant. All vehicles seem to have got along without any markings).
Of the male variant, there was only the prototype which was uniformly painted probably in olive-green (without any markings).
A special challenge is the female prototype, which had large lettering of the manufacturer/developer on the sides of the front body. I think here you can only get further with self-made decals or buy some of Black Lion Decals who have a set in 1/72 but are willing to rescale those on special request.

Instructions:
There are no instructions for assembly. The kits consist of only a few components and basically no instructions are needed. The only shortcoming is the attachment of the track segments, as you have no clue how exactly to attach them to the hull due to the structures on both sides. Here a look at the Empress Miniatures site helps, as you can see an assembled vehicle there. In case of need, you can of course also orientate yourself on photos of other models or the original.

Price:
For my models I paid 24.00 Pounds. This is an average price for a resin model. Transport costs have to be included. How it behaves in the future with possible customs costs to Europe I can not say.

Further notes:
Two-component glue or better superglue is needed for assembly.
To correct bent/warped resin parts, it is recommended to immerse the affected parts in a bowl of hot water for a few seconds and then carefully bend them back into the correct shape. This can be repeated as needed.
You should also have a tinker's knife for deburring and some sandpaper for sanding off any unevenness.
CAUTION: Please sand only outdoors or over an exhaust system! Resin dust is highly harmful to health and is most likely carcinogenic!

Summary Rating:
Dimensions (scale):   - will be submitted later -
Detailing: good
Casting quality: good
Accuracy of fit: sufficient
Material (quality): good
Decals:  not available
Instructions: not available
Price: good

Conclusion:
Both versions (male and female) are really nice additions to the interwar range of tanks. The models are sufficiently detailed and quite cleanly rendered. For tabletop players they are ideal due to their good construction (lack of any filigree details). In addition, Empress has created two tanks that are not available from any other manufacturer. The models are ideal for the time of the Irish Revolution, as well as for pulp fiction and hypothetical battles at the end of the First World War.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 06:03:33 PM »
Nice models, I wasn’t aware of the Hornet before.

I see you have gone for dark green colour scheme - I went for mid-brown for my Whippets. I struggled to find definitive answers on WWI colours. I know green was used inter war and onwards, but seems brown was used a lot earlier. Frankly I’d quite like to have some green tanks too!

Offline Armstrong

• Student
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 06:33:26 PM »
Nice models, I wasn’t aware of the Hornet before.

I see you have gone for dark green colour scheme - I went for mid-brown for my Whippets. I struggled to find definitive answers on WWI colours. I know green was used inter war and onwards, but seems brown was used a lot earlier. Frankly I’d quite like to have some green tanks too!

Well, it's not entirely clear what color the British tanks had at the end of the war. I have oriented myself here to the vehicles that still exist (of course I know that these no longer have the original coat of paint). For example, the Mark V at the Imperial War Museum was painted greenish and the Mark IV at Bovington also has a brownish greenish color. Reports from eyewitnesses also differ in what they say. Perhaps this is in the eye of the beholder. For this reason, I have followed other built models that show the Whippet almost exclusively in a green-olive tone. For the Hornet I chose green, as this seems to be the "most common" color for interwar tanks. 

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 07:02:55 PM »
Well, it's not entirely clear what color the British tanks had at the end of the war. I have oriented myself here to the vehicles that still exist (of course I know that these no longer have the original coat of paint). For example, the Mark V at the Imperial War Museum was painted greenish and the Mark IV at Bovington also has a brownish greenish color. Reports from eyewitnesses also differ in what they say. Perhaps this is in the eye of the beholder. For this reason, I have followed other built models that show the Whippet almost exclusively in a green-olive tone. For the Hornet I chose green, as this seems to be the "most common" color for interwar tanks.

Superb modelling and painting  :-* The green is a nicer colour although the Osprey book shows the Whippet and Hornet as brown. Presumably to blend in the Flanders mud. It also mentions that the Hornet was issued to the North Russian Tank Detachment and was then passed on the Latvian Army but fell into the hands of the Bolsheviks entering service in the Red Army who gave it a rather colourful camouflage pattern as shown in the book.

Btw what is wrong the the 1st Corps Whippet? I used to have a few of these and thought they were a nice model.

Offline Armstrong

• Student
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 07:50:21 PM »
Btw what is wrong the the 1st Corps Whippet? I used to have a few of these and thought they were a nice model.

Well... The 1st Corps Whippet has a rather toy-like appearance with "rough details". But that's mostly my opinion.
I wouldn't say it's a bad model, but it can't really compete with the Whippet from Trenchworx or Brigade Games Miniatures.

Offline Fabien

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 10:22:23 PM »
Thank you for this review, very interesting.   :-*

And now, you can find STL files for Whippet, Mk.IV and Mk.V, A7V, french FT, St Chamond and Schneider... from Trenchworxs. It's perhaps the future for very great models, whith quality and prices?
Fabien

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 07:37:34 PM »
I have not yet purchased from either Trenchworx or Butlers Printed Models, but Trenchworx has a slightly fuller tank range (MkVs, as well as MkIVs), whilst Butlers has armoured cars and heavy artillery as well, but only MkIVs; both have a Whippet and the inevitable A7V.  My older son, who was recently promoted to "Vice-President, Wargames 3DP", is looking into them on a technical level and appears impressed at the initial stages.

As regards British tank colour(s), I believe that a prominent English artist was hired to design appropriate camouflage schemes for British tanks operating on the Western Front, when they first appeared.  He applied himself diligently, came up with what he considered a winning scheme and it was used on one or two of the first tanks to go into action in 1916.  He was then shown a tank that had been in action, which was covered in mud and all sorts of other crap.  He reputedly threw up his arms in horror and said, "Why did I bother?  Just paint the damned thing brown!"
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Armstrong

• Student
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 06:35:34 PM »
Thank you for this review, very interesting.   :-*

And now, you can find STL files for Whippet, Mk.IV and Mk.V, A7V, french FT, St Chamond and Schneider... from Trenchworxs. It's perhaps the future for very great models, whith quality and prices?

You are right about the STL files. But sadly I don't know where you can order to print them for a decent price.  :`

Offline Armstrong

• Student
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 06:46:20 PM »
I have not yet purchased from either Trenchworx or Butlers Printed Models, but Trenchworx has a slightly fuller tank range (MkVs, as well as MkIVs), whilst Butlers has armoured cars and heavy artillery as well, but only MkIVs; both have a Whippet and the inevitable A7V.  My older son, who was recently promoted to "Vice-President, Wargames 3DP", is looking into them on a technical level and appears impressed at the initial stages.

As regards British tank colour(s), I believe that a prominent English artist was hired to design appropriate camouflage schemes for British tanks operating on the Western Front, when they first appeared.  He applied himself diligently, came up with what he considered a winning scheme and it was used on one or two of the first tanks to go into action in 1916.  He was then shown a tank that had been in action, which was covered in mud and all sorts of other crap.  He reputedly threw up his arms in horror and said, "Why did I bother?  Just paint the damned thing brown!"

I'm not sure about these Butlers Printed Models. Especially the pictures of the printed A7V on their site seem quite rough and not very detailed (but it is also a bad print).

The English artist you are referring to was Lt. Col. Solomon. He tried to develop several camouflage shemes for the Mark I, but in the end it was found that the mud and dust on the front soon covered the tanks with a "natural" cover of camo. So they stopped further development of camouflage coats and chose a brownish or olive color for all further tanks.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 07:00:54 PM »
I’ve never seen a good print from Butlers PM - not quite sure how they produce quite such bad prints.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 06:48:27 PM »
The English artist you are referring to was Lt. Col. Solomon. He tried to develop several camouflage shemes for the Mark I, but in the end it was found that the mud and dust on the front soon covered the tanks with a "natural" cover of camo. So they stopped further development of camouflage coats and chose a brownish or olive color for all further tanks.

Thanks - I was struggling to recall his name.

I have purchased the Trenchworx STLs for the Mark IV, Mark V and Whippet.  Would you like to see pics when they are printed?  (I warn you now, in contrast to the modernity of the technology, #1 son is positively glacial when it comes to actually printing something.....)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 09:08:55 PM »
I think the Mark V* is a great looking monster of a tank being a stretched Mark V. Scarab do a model but it is out of stock currently.

If I had some WW1 Americans I would support them with a Stanley steam tank. It never saw service but why let facts get in the way of using such a cool model!

http://www.landships.info/landships/tank_articles.html#

https://blackarmygames.com/collections/frontpage/products/longhorn-stanley-steam-tank

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 09:33:38 PM »
Below are the camouflage schemes for the Mark 1 (from Black Lion Decals website)

Die Waffenkamer do a great male and female model of it. See pictures below.

https://www.diewaffenkammer.com/trains_and_wwi_vehicles.html

Black Lion decals do 1/72 and 1/35 transfers for WW1 tanks but will scale up or down if you ask them, for very reasonable cost.

They also have painting guides on their website.

http://www.blackliondecals.nl/decals1-72.htm

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:42:52 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Armstrong

• Student
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 02:45:06 PM »
Thanks - I was struggling to recall his name.

I have purchased the Trenchworx STLs for the Mark IV, Mark V and Whippet.  Would you like to see pics when they are printed?  (I warn you now, in contrast to the modernity of the technology, #1 son is positively glacial when it comes to actually printing something.....)

You are welcome.
And surely I would be interested in the painted prints.