Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:21:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: scratch building 6mm sci fi terrain  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
scratch building 6mm sci fi terrain
« on: January 31, 2023, 06:39:25 PM »
Anybody know any links for scratchbuilding 6mm terrain? I can do hills and forests etc ok. More on the buildings front. Just everyday objects that could be quickly sprayed some base coat colour and then drybrushed. Even ideas for the 6mm equivalent of scatter terrain. I can't even visualise what that would be like so I am not hopeful there. 

This sort of stuff seems harder to find on the internet these days. Or maybe it is because I haven't made any 6mm terrain for 20+ years!

Cheers,
Grah

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: scratch building 6mm sci fi terrain
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 10:01:03 AM »
Terragenisis used to have loads of 6mm projects, using blister packs and the like. However, it looks like the site is completely and totally gone :-[ (as in, site suspended, domain available to buy) You could see if the wayback machine has any archives of it, or if it got moved somewhere. I spent many an hour marvelling at the stuff people did with bits of leftover junk :o

I have seen buildings made from blister packs, with granny grating for windows. Blister packs (you may be detecting a them) for batteries can be used for huts or the roof of a factory.

Craft stores and places like The Works are great for beads and stuff.

One of the train scales "Z", is 1:220, so barrels and crates should be okay in 1:300 (if you squint).

cp models has some 6mm scenery that is worth a look for inspiration, as I think does Brigade Models and probably Irregular Mins

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 12:11:24 PM »
I had some success with plastic coffee jar lids and similar; you can get quite a few different shapes. Things like fabric softeners, washing up liquid, etc. have some interesting lids. Then some greebly bits from wherever you can find them. Plastic rectangle for a door, etc

Tic-tac boxes are decent rectangles with slight bevelled edges which are a nice sci-fi shape.

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 06:35:37 PM »

Yeah I went looking for the terragenesis site and was a disappointed it had come a cropper. Natural internet decay process I suppose. I wil try the way back machine though. Good idea.

The size of the buildings on that City tutorial surprised me. Quite big but actually decent in scale to Battlemechs etc. Seeing those I seem to remember now I had a bunch of cardstock bulidings I bought once for Drop Zone commander. Seemed like a great idea when I saw them at a convention but brought home and never assembled. That was about 5 house moves ago so I have no idea where they are now    :'(

I will have a play with coffee lids. I need to go to a jumble sale and see what I can pick up.

Great ideas.

Thanks all.

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 09:31:29 PM »
Forgive me if you already know this but the originals of the 6mm buildings now sold by CP Models (previously by Angel Barracks) were often made from scraps - bottle tops, keys from old laptops, etc.

The creator of them used to put up photos of his WIPs on his website but you can get a reasonable idea of the items used from the images in the free pdfs on CP Models' website.
They might give you inspiration.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 01:04:19 PM »

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 10:19:07 PM »
Thanks Maniac

I have never seem that website before!