Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:06:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Action Man Paratrooper.  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
Re: Action Man Paratrooper.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2024, 12:01:13 AM »
These miniature firearms have somehow entirely escaped my notice until now even though I would have been of an age to encounter them. Returning to Action Man / GI Joe, however, I recall that the 81 mm - I would assume - mortar had a pretty strong spring which imparted a fairly impressive parabola on the projectile, though its range was not remotely in scale with the figures. I never tired of firing mine.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 12:14:01 AM by Cholmondely Percival IV »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2024, 12:30:53 AM »
I had the old Britain's 8" howitzer as a boy*. It had little plastic shells that fitted into a brass case with an internal spring mechanism. When fired from the gun they whizzed the length of the corridor, maybe 20 or more feet and would bowl over any 54mm plastic soldier daft enough to be in their way. Definitely not eye safe. Beat the piss and pick handles out of the 4.5" howitzer and 5.5" gun which IIRC fired match sticks.

*Actually I still have it somewhere minus the ammo.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2024, 01:06:52 AM »
Another one I missed. The mortar aside, my experience with ‘working’ ordnance has been deeply disappointing, from the pitiful match-stick-firing die-cast guns of unknown calibre to the missile on the Dinky Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle from Captain Scarlet, which flopped onto the carpet on release, which was in any case academic as it invariably fired prematurely (I only discovered the metaphorical significance of this much later). Only fractionally better was the Britain’s Revolutionary War cannon, which fired tiny ball bearings less than its own length. The same company’s medieval ballista comfortably exceeded this, while still failing to meet reasonable expectations of what such a weapon should accomplish. I have only seen one weapon of this approximate scale that seemed to come close to displaying the power of its real-life counterpart: the catapult by Hausser / Elastolin that I acquired as an adult and still like to play with. Mine is the 40 mm version. I would imagine that its 70 mm counterpart, assuming it exists, is more impressive still.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 01:15:57 AM by Cholmondely Percival IV »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2024, 01:41:35 AM »
I hope you aren't suggesting that Captain Scarlet suffered from a hair trigger?  He did seem to get a metaphorical lump in his throat whenever he interacted with Destiny Angel.  Poor lass, such a disappointment. Damn those Mysterons and their infernal powers!  lol

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 02:15:29 AM »
That particular thought never entered my head. (It was only when, long after parting with the model, for some reason I found myself describing  my frustration with the vehicle’s firing mechanism - this occurring as part of a random digression during a game of D&D - and one of the players admitted - no doubt for humorous effect - to suffering from a similar dysfunction that the appositeness of the metaphor first struck me).

I’m now getting all nostalgic for the TV series and TV21 comic, which accepted readers as Shades, issuing ID cards to any applicant who forwarded a postal order of the correct denomination. Nobody wanted to be a Mysteron, I suppose.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2024, 02:30:09 AM »
That particular thought never entered my head. (It was only when, long after parting with the model, for some reason I found myself describing  my frustration with the vehicle’s firing mechanism - this occurring as part of a random digression during a game of D&D - and one of the players admitted - no doubt for humorous effect - to suffering from a similar dysfunction that the appositeness of the metaphor first struck me).

Talking about over sharing.  :o :o :o

I take it from that day forth your chum became known as Quick Draw McGraw?

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2024, 09:40:24 AM »
The barrel was very prone to snapping whilst in the service of small boys :)

My mate's Dad was a television engineer, bits of broken tele ariels in his shed. When the barrel snapped of yer SLR, you nipped to Graham's house. Sawed a bit of ariel off, it fitted in the SLR perfect! You bunged the broken bit back on, then back to battle!
 :D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2024, 11:49:48 AM »
Talking about over sharing.  :o :o :o

I take it from that day forth your chum became known as Quick Draw McGraw?

No-one judged him, at least on that basis. The nickname that stuck was Tangent Tim.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2024, 01:06:31 PM »
Now mine's a PROPER Action Man!!!

:-*

Offline serran

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2024, 06:03:45 PM »
I had one (very fond memories) but only accurate up to 18 inches....