Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adventuring Party Miniature?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
Adventuring Party Miniature?
« on: February 02, 2023, 01:52:11 AM »
Heya good folks!

I'm thinking I'd like to acquire an adventuring party miniature - as in, one miniature that represents a whole party. Something that could be used to mark "this is where the party is" on a map, for example. Sort of like the army miniatures in Mighty Empires, but for a party rather than an army.

Is that something that exists? I suppose I could scratch build it by putting a handful of 6mm or 10mm minis on a base, but if someone's already made that kind of mini I'd love to have a look.

Thanks!
Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Adventuring Party Miniature?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 03:14:01 AM »
Interesting idea. I don’t think I have ever seen anything quite like that, even in board games.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 04:07:30 PM »
In a similar kind of thing, I put the 'full' sized model in front of the player,
while on the table a (much) smaller marker. In my case it was 1/72nd
airplanes, but the idea should work for dungeons.
It would also allow for groups splitting up too.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 07:06:12 PM »
There was an old Citadel "adventurer" model than had a pile of equipment topped off with a kitchen sink!

Rare as hens teeth now.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 08:31:10 PM »
There was an old Citadel "adventurer" model than had a pile of equipment topped off with a kitchen sink.
Do you mean this one?

If so, Otherworld do one that's similar enough that you could add a bit more equipment to for basically the same result (link). That said, the Otherword NPC range has plenty to choose from that could work well (link).

I suppose I could scratch build it by putting a handful of 6mm or 10mm minis on a base

I personally think this is a much better idea, especially as a "marker", and if you go 10-15mm for the figures, there's lots of choice available - companies like Pendraken, Ral Partha Europe, and Alternative Armies are probably a good place to look if you want to buy individual 10-15mm figures rather than whole sets.

Another option could be to represent the party in a more abstract way - for example, by putting a lantern or flaming torch on a base. It'd be clear what it represents, is simple enough to buy/make, and it helps fit thematically too (especially if your adventurers are not modelled with their own light source, but are assumed to be carrying one).

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 08:50:48 PM »
I agree with the Major, 1 group of 10 or 6mm figures would do the job well.

Alternatively, Dark Sword Miniatures do a series of "marching" figures such as this elf: https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/marching-male-elf-warrior/
and this one also looks good for dungeon delving:
https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/warrior-with-lantern-and-sword-axe-options/

If you wanted someting more abstract, how about a collection of aventuring paraphernalia on a base - a shield, helmet, pack, a few weapons and possibly a wizard staff all arranged artfully.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 09:11:49 PM »
Found these in 10mm on Etsy.  Could be put on a single base for the whole party. 

There are others but this one looks like a party.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 10:25:54 PM »
For the One Man Party concept, I've always liked Reaper's Oswald the Overladen Henchman. :)

https://www.reapermini.com/search/henchmen/latest/02572

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 10:26:57 PM »
Depending on your setting, the types of miniatures you want may vary, but if going for a group of adventurers in a small scale is an option, I’d say do it. I’d choose 6-10mm as 15mm is already fairly big.

Here is my favorite for this. It’s basically all you need for a marker everyone with a faint interest in Fantasy will immediately recognize:
https://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/prod.php?prod=193

The problem with many ranges is that they sell soldiers to be based in units. Apart from the Copplestone minis, I only know about the old (and by now horribly expensive) packs of Warmaster characters.

If you have a 3d printer, you can, of course, simply buy the stuff you need and make it yourself in your preferred scale. I think, however, that buying the Copplestone pack is vastly quicker and in the end cheaper.

And you need markers for evil parties or monsters, the samr range has something to offer. Furthermore if you want to ignore my advice and go for 15mm, check these excellent minis from Khurasan out: https://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/tom-meier-collection.html

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 10:42:39 PM »
There was an old Citadel "adventurer" model than had a pile of equipment topped off with a kitchen sink!

Rare as hens teeth now.

I have one. :D

Do you mean this one?

No it was much earlier than that one.
They did several figures. He was the 'Complete Adventurer'
But they also did:-
Dwarf with an inferiority complex (Walking on stilts)
Half Elf (literally half an Elf figure)
Shadow Warrior (A 2d figure)

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 12:04:02 AM »
Was going to suggest the Copplestone figures but DivisMal has beaten me to it!
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 12:23:03 AM »
Here is my favorite for this. It’s basically all you need for a marker everyone with a faint interest in Fantasy will immediately recognize:
Good call.  I completely forgot about that one. 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 01:27:01 AM »
Depending on your setting, the types of miniatures you want may vary, but if going for a group of adventurers in a small scale is an option, I’d say do it. I’d choose 6-10mm as 15mm is already fairly big.

Was going to suggest the Copplestone figures but DivisMal has beaten me to it!
Good call.  I completely forgot about that one.
I agree - it's perfect!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 07:32:29 PM »
Found these in 10mm on Etsy.  Could be put on a single base for the whole party. 

There are others but this one looks like a party.

Ah, I see somebody nicked all the designs for the GW DoW character figures. :) Bless etsy and the people who inhabit it.

I'd suggest getting a bunch of 10mm figures (like from Pendraken) and glue them to one 40mm base.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 09:03:26 PM »
It depends how big your party is, but you could put a good number of 28mm miniatures (Frostgrave, Perry, Oathmark, Warlord, etc.) on a single 40 x 40 or 50 x 50 base (or round equivalent) and have quite a striking party marker.

The advantage of going with 28mm is that you could kitbash all the miniatures to match the party's idiosyncrasies (and you could duplicate them as individuals if required).

You could also get creative with height and terrain on a single base to give you more space - thieves climbing a pillar or a ruined doorway through which other characters are passing, etc.

On the other hand, if the party takes casualties, a smaller scale will allow you to sub in replacements more readily!